Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2010, 15:10   #151

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I just downloaded it on safari.
How do I get it to ibooks?

Nevermind, I found the way cool books button at top right of the screen that saves it to the pdf collections in ibooks.
Way cool.

Get the ipad now!
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:25   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I just downloaded it on safari.
How do I get it to ibooks?

Nevermind, I found the way cool books button at top right of the screen that saves it to the pdf collections in ibooks.
Way cool.

Get the ipad now!
You'll enjoy the search feature for iBooks PDF documents, It's much faster than paper.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:50   #153

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Any news about a Verizon ipad?
As an alternative could you run a 3g ipad off of a Verizon WiFi card? Or MiFi?
The 3g is needed for the GPS chip.

Waiting for stuff that works.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 17:39   #154

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40
Any news about a Verizon ipad?
As an alternative could you run a 3g ipad off of a Verizon WiFi card? Or MiFi?
The 3g is needed for the GPS chip.

Waiting for stuff that works.
The iPad will acces the internet thru any wifi or myfi device
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 18:19   #155
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Don't forget to install our Cruisers Forum app (link for more info). We have apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Posting photos to discussions has never been easier. You can literally take a photo and just attach it.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51   #156

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
oops......

I left my ipad charger on my boat.
It's a long bike ride to my dink and then a long dink ride to my boat.

I have 50% charge remaining.

Oh yeah,
that's right I should be good for at least 5 hours.

Thanks ipad battery life.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 13:24   #157

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad
Oh yeah,
that's right I should be good for at least 5 hours.

Thanks ipad battery life.
I wouldn't take that battery too awful low before recharging... IMHO

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:33   #158

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166
For anyone with an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch there is a 10 hz GPS ad-on called Bad Elf GPS that works very well. It is better than the GPS that comes in the Apple devices.
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:49   #159
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser613 View Post
It is better than the GPS that comes in the Apple devices.
Sort of depends what "better" means. I'm not crazy about having something else to plug in, charge, or bang around as I use my iPad that is supposed to be ultra-mobile. I agree that it's a nice way to get GPS location services into an iPod Touch or iPad WiFi-only but I'd rather have the GPS built in.

If I were designing a product like that, I'd do it as a small WiFi device so it could be put somewhere else, carried in a pocket, etc. Think about how nice it would be to leave the GPS in a clear view of the sky and carry your iPad/iPhone below for viewing position, etc.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:33   #160

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Navimatics & ActiveCaptain

Jeffrey,

Can you explain how this works

Your ActiveCaptain site states.

The Navimatics Charts & Tides iPhone and iPad apps have been out for 9 months supporting the display of all ActiveCaptain data. We use it ourselves to view our own web site when underway. But there was something missing - you couldn't make updates or add reviews.

All of that has changed today when Apple approved the latest release. We've been working with Navimatics for months on this release which now allows markers to be edited and reviews and comments to be added, all from your iPhone and iPad. The single license works on both an iPhone and iPad at the same time - no need to purchase it twice. And if you currently own Charts & Tides, it's a free update with all new and current charts”.

Do I bring up my Navimatics Charts & Tides on my iPhone and iPad and there is an add on or a new menu that makes an ActiveCaptain overlay on top of Navimatics ?

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 15:28   #161
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Do I bring up my Navimatics Charts & Tides on my iPhone and iPad and there is an add on or a new menu that make an ActiveCaptain overlay on top of Navimatics ?
Yes. But there's nothing to add - it's all built in.

Get into Navimatics Charts & Tides. Tap the little "i" in the lower right. Tap ActiveCaptain. Tap Account the first time you use it and specify your ActiveCaptain account and password. That will be validated and remembered and you'll never have to do that again. Now tap the big "Update Now" button.

Each time you tap that Update Now button, the offline database is synchronized with our servers so you have the very latest info. We're currently averaging about 1,500 updates every day plus all the added and edited reviews (3,500 updates daily since the new Navimatics release came out - everyone is trying it and it's making a lot of work for us as we validate every updated item). It's a good idea to do an Update Now about once a week or before heading out if you have an internet connection - takes about 1 - 2 minutes per week of updates. The reason you want that update before heading out is to get the very latest info on hazards and slip/fuel pricing, especially when going along the US ICW.

The nice thing about the new version released last week is that you can now update any information (descriptions, pricing, dockage, services, etc) as well as add and edit reviews from the iPhone/iPad itself. I like to think of it as now being able to write a negative review about a marina WHILE they're giving you bad service. ...or write a positive review in front of the dockmaster, thanking him for his help.

Every other navigation product that uses our data will be adding this data entry capability too. Navimatics was the first.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:00   #162

kindle app & Motion X

The kindle app for ipad is free and allows you to purchase digital books directly from Amazon, they just won't be loaded onto the ipad bookshelf, but the Kindle app one. Having to go between 2 buttons is no issue compared to schlepping a lot of heavy and bulky books in my boat bag.

As for navigation apps, they are so inexpensive , and have different strong points, I recommend getting a few of them. On a recent delivery, the boat lost all battery power, generator was not working properly, and the Owner couldn't find his hand held GPS. When he finally found it, the batteries were dead <<<<GRRRRRRRRR>>>>>>. During all of this, I was able to take plots on our GPS position very quickly using Motion X. We were 60 miles off shore.
Lisa Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:54   #163

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Goodwin
Having to go between 2 buttons is no issue compared to schlepping a lot of heavy and bulky books in my boat bag.
Of all the books I've bought using my Kindle App, none have molded or water stained yet! :-) Using the Zinio App, I currently have water sailing">Blue Water Sailing, Cruising World, and Sail delivered monthly. My waterline is still visible... :-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 23:24   #164

Re: iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
I know I have seen discussions on ipad gps apps but cant find using search. ipad 2 accessory
iPad2 case
ipad2 accessories
I am going to US tomorrow afternoon to pick up my boat and want to buy an ipad as backup gps. I see in itunes that inavx has a chart of USVI but not entire caribbean. Any advice? I am not comp literate btw.
The kindle app for ipad is free and allows you to purchase digital books directly from Amazon, they just won't be loaded onto the ipad bookshelf, but the Kindle app one. Having to go between 2 buttons is no issue compared to schlepping a lot of heavy and bulky books in my boat bag.
cocochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30   #165

Re: iPad

Last weekend I picked up a huge collection of catalogues at the boat show. Afterwards I started thinking of returning to get a second copy of each so I have one on the boat in Greece and one at home. I fugure it will make it so much easier when trying to find replacement or improved parts.

I have now managed to download many of them as PDF's and loaded them on the iPad, so I don't need to go back to the show or have to carry a huge pile of catalogues down to Greece and store them away, just in case...
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad