Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 12:47   #166

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Emerald Sea, you sail you are using a Mac Pro on your trip. Are you using an inverter or did you have it wired to 12 volts?
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:54   #167

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Emerald Sea, you said you are using a Mac Pro on your trip. Are you using an inverter or did you have it wired to 12 volts?
I run it via the inverter as I have 990W of solar feeding a battery bank but I plan to switch it a 12V outlet soon - an upcoming project. I run PC Plotter (with Navionics) as the nav and have Open CPN but still toying with it.
Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:21   #168
cruiser

Funny, I own iNavX, I've upgraded my iPad, my iPhone and my computer, and never had to re-buy a chart.

You keep blaming iNavX, and your problem is with X-traverse.

That makes you wrong in my book.

The bold just makes you wrong and louder.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:46   #169
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Funny, I own iNavX, I've upgraded my iPad, my iPhone and my computer, and never had to re-buy a chart.

You keep blaming iNavX, and your problem is with X-traverse.

That makes you wrong in my book.

The bold just makes you wrong and louder.
No, you are wrong and continue to be wrong. Read more carefully. You have the license for TWo Ipads. You have now used one up (on your initial Ipad) If the Ipad you have purchased is your second Ipad, then no problem, but when you buy a new one again, that will be your 3rd. The licenses are not transferable to more than two original Ipads, and you will have to rebuy the charts.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 16:48   #170
cruiser

Nope. Not only will I not have to re-buy my charts, I never had to buy them in the first place.

You're confused, Kiwi. And you continue to blame the wrong people.
Old 15-01-2014, 17:20   #171

Boat: Hanse 385

"Nope. Not only will I not have to re-buy my charts, I never had to buy them in the first place."

Are you in the US using the Free charts by any chance?
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:56   #172

Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'

I have iPad and IPhone and run navionics with them, BUT had to add a blue tooth GPS to do iPad off shore.
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 18:13   #173

"I have iPad and IPhone and run navionics with them, BUT had to add a blue tooth GPS to do iPad off shore."

You'll have the WIFI version only then.
The 3G version has a standalone GPS chip that doesn't need cell / wifi.
Old 15-01-2014, 18:44   #174
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
"Nope. Not only will I not have to re-buy my charts, I never had to buy them in the first place."

Are you in the US using the Free charts by any chance?
Yup. Free charts from NOAA.

Where are you?
Old 15-01-2014, 18:54   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Yup. Free charts from NOAA.

Where are you?
I see where the confusion is for you. I am not talking about free government charts. "NOAA" means nothing to me down here in the South Pacific, though I assume that is your free Raster charts made available by your government for your local waters.

I am talking about the Vector charts for all areas of the world that you pay for via X-traverse web-site if you use the Inavx app.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:00   #176

Boat: Catalina 36

Look, the reasons to use iNavX on your iPad are if you want:

1) Interoperability between different charts / maps on different platforms. By paying X-traverse $10 a month, you can seamlessly transfer waypoints, tracks, etc. between different devices in the cloud. So if you want to use iNavX on your iPad and see the waypoints pop up in MacENC on your Macbook Air, this is a pretty cool feature. Note that both the dedicated Navionics App and iNavX allow sharing among multiple mobile devices and export to Google Earth, but the use cases are different: iNavX / X-Traverse are optimized for desktop computer and mobile device interop, whereas Navionics Apps are optimized for plotter (Raymarine) and mobile device interop. There are also additional pricing nuances based on how many mobile devices and how many distinct platforms you have.

2) You want the free US NOAA Raster Charts, and either a) prefer them to the vector charts (why?) or b) want to be able to switch between the vector / raster form of the charts, which might be useful if you plot waypoints in the vector charts but want to see where those waypoints are on a paper chart you are holding in your hand (in certain use cases, this is actually pretty cool)

3) You want the capability to easily chart across different Navionics regions. This is helpful if you want to plot all of your waypoints for a circumnavigation in one app. As much as many of us would LIKE this to be a necessary feature, let's face it... :-)

Otherwise, if all you're looking for are Navionics charts on your iPad -- buy the Navionics app for your relevant region. Not only is it way easier to use, but it's probably much cheaper than iNavX + buying the Navionics chart separately.
FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:16   #177
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
I see where the confusion is for you.
It's not confusion, it's objection.

iNavX does not sell charts.

Including them in sweeping statements is, therefore, simply not accurate.

The rest of my comments have been counter-examples, designed to show that it is not iNavX that you have an issue with.

"I have a problem with my ex-wife" contains a lot more precision than "I have a problem with women", which includes your wife.

You don't have a problem with iNavX. (My wife.) You have a problem with charts that you bought. (Your ex-wife.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMeAway View Post
Look, the reasons to use iNavX on your iPad are if you want:
2) You want the free US NOAA Raster Charts, and either a) prefer them to the vector charts (why?)
Because I'm used to the way they look, and I can't escape the feeling that I'm missing data on vector charts, in spite of the fact that just the opposite could be (or is) true.

There is another reason. That reason is that the vector charts are not as mature as the raster charts are. The formats are different, the symbols are different, and the feeling that data is missing is inescapable.

The last reason is that there simply isn't a good vector chart app out there for iPad, in my opinion. Vector charts are much, much slower on a given platform than the equivalent raster chart. (In my experience.)

There is no chance I'll buy anything further from Navionics. I don't care for their formats, their updating, or, as much as it pains me to agree with Simon and Kiwi's poorly expressed opinions, their policies about licensing.
Old 15-01-2014, 19:19   #178

I totally agree, the features between these devices are amazing.
I have the upmost respect for iNavX, MacENC, etc. They are great products and I want to use them.

My only issues is having to buy the same charts for each device. As I mentioned earlier it should be like buying music from iTunes. You buy the song (chart) and it can be used on all your devices.. Iphone, Ipad, Mac, (plotter).

If you change or upgrade any of these devices (apple allows sharing between 5) you remove the old one, and add the new, everything then copies over.

I'd love to see this. Buy the chart once. With a yearly upgrade price to pick up any corrections.
Old 15-01-2014, 19:54   #179

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
The last reason is that there simply isn't a good vector chart app out there for iPad, in my opinion. Vector charts are much, much slower on a given platform than the equivalent raster chart. (In my experience.)
This is really interesting. I had the exact opposite problem. I had iNavX and was using the NOAA raster charts, and found them impossibly slow on my iPad and iPhone. Switched to Navionics vector (as the app, not from X-Trav) and found the speed hugely improved and the charts much more usable.

One other thing I forgot in my lengthy post: iNavX has awesome interop. with on-board instruments through a WiFi multiplexer (NMEA2k, Seatalk, whatever). Navionics doesn't have this functionality at all.

This is so much of a deal breaker for some people, can't believe I forgot it.
FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 20:29   #180

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengibprs View Post
I have used Navionics on my iPad and iPhone for a year and found it great, really great. However, I recently had to download some maps and they all had a lot of horizontal lines across them at very regular intervals. The maps are therefor unusable. So far Navionics have not replied. I would recommend you don't buy Navionics unless this new issue is solved quickly.

Just downloaded a map to check the problem you reported, map looked perfect, no black lines.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad