Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 21:27   #106

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Just wanted to post this for anyone thinking of using an iPad. Very cool tech..

Liquipel 2.0 nanocoating debuts with improved water protection, matches IPX7 and beyond (video)
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05   #107
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

it was mentioned that GLONASS support is being built into various devices including the latest apple products

Quote:
Various smartphones from 2011 onwards have integrated GLONASS capability, including devices from Sony Ericsson,ZTE, Huawei,Samsung,Apple (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5)and iPad (3rd generation, 4G model only))HTC , LG ,Motorolaand Nokia.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36   #108

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I think part of the confusion arises from the fact that the iphone and ipad can ALSO use cel towers to triangulate position, in addition to regular GPS.

I often use my iphone 4S and iNavX for navigation in U.S. waters. No cel signal is needed. No SIM is even needed. You can even use it without jailbreaking the iphone. The GPS in the iphone is capable of independant operation. I can only assume that the latest ipads are the same. I also use my iphone with TomTom for land navigation. I have TomTom for most of the world except for parts of Asia. It works fine without a local SIM card.
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:43   #109

Send a message via Skype™ to mannyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
Hey there!
My husband and I use the Navionics app on our iPhone and iPad (3G) - no wifi or data required! The GPS will work without cell coverage or a data plan. It is the only navigation tool we've used on our trip down the Pacific coast and it's been fantastic. We're headed to Mexico tomorrow - I'll let you know how the GPS works once we're international. Just a quick tip - the iPhone apps are cheaper and work just as well on the iPad when enlarged (if you want to save some dollars).
Hi. I just installed the navionics cheaper iPhone version on my iPad mini. Can you explain how to enlarge it? All I get is the smaller iPhone view?
mannyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 15:00   #110

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I am also in the process of buying an Ithing and while shopping I see the option of an Ipad with retina display. Is this device going to work? Also I see options of 16G, 32G, and 64G, Is it worth the extra money to buy the extra memory? Do I need the extra memory? I also see that sometime soon it is expected that the Ipad 5 will be comming out, would I be wise to wait?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 15:22   #111
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Rocket, I would yet drive one and see if its what you want.

I would prefer a smaller PC laptop. The iPad is a kids toy. You can't do other stuff on it like Word, spreadsheets, doesn't have a USB port so you can't put photos on your other computers, etc, music is the same.

The internal GPS is good but you don't have real nav programs just the iPad ones... No OpenCpn! No AIS, etc etc. no mouse!!!

And it's F'ing expensive compared to a mini PC laptop!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 15:22   #112

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Does anyone know how to get the pink birds off the navionics charts

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 15:40   #113

MarkJ
Thanks for the advise, still in the begining stages of research, I have an Iphone5 with navionics and use it as a back up. Planning a trip to the Med next May, and currently buying paper charts, and looking at options for electronic charts. The navionics chips for the chartplotter in the Med are expencive so I was thinking that the Ipad may be the way to go. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on that.
Old 23-06-2013, 16:01   #114

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have been using the iPad extensively for navigation, weather, tides and much else. I use it both for my professional work at Sea and cruising. During our oceanographic cruises I have access to a wide range of PC and charting systems and frankly neither myself or the rest of the team use anything but the ipad any more. The only function we use the PC for is Matlab and software code generation or writing long papers. On my personal boat I have the ipad linked to my chart plotter and autopilot.

I think it is not that the ipad performs any task that much better than the PC, it's just that it is a lot easier to have it right in hand.

The integration of applications and functions and ability to share data with other systems is far better than the PC world. One of the best professional tools I've seen in 30 years of this business.

Apps that we use all the time include:

INavX
Aye Tides
Spyglass
Evernote
Dropbox

Different folks like different approaches. I find the iPad works for me.
Old 23-06-2013, 16:15   #115

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The iPad is a kids toy. You can't do other stuff on it like Word, spreadsheets, doesn't have a USB port so you can't put photos on your other computers, etc, music is the same.
Mark
WAR I say! I hate to break it to the group but you don't see laptops in board rooms anymore. Sorry, tablets are here to stay and laptops are the new desktops. Despite MarkJ's opinion, I do regularly use the full microsoft suite on the ipad just about every day. There will still be jobs that require large screens for the foreseeable future but those jobs are fewer and fewer.

USB Ports? Please!!! Hello 2006! They are the new serial ports. Tech like airdrop makes it easy to transfer files.

Its true OpenCPN is not available but that can change, someone just needs to pick up the ball.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:40   #116
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
The navionics chips for the chartplotter in the Med are expencive so I was thinking that the Ipad may be the way to go..
Load onto your PC Opencpn and CM93 charts off the internet. Its all free. Test that and see how you like it. Its only gotten me around the world. I have iPad for back up, but thats all. My actual navigating is done off the laptop. Especially for long voyages Opencpn give you Great Circle Routes etc... and it works with a moust where iPad doesnt.

But instead of getting into opinions on platforms (!!) its best just to give yourself time to see whats going to work for you.

Remember, you can get AIS on your laptop (USB straight from the AIS). How do you do that for free on an iPad?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 17:06   #117

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Remember, you can get AIS on your laptop (USB straight from the AIS). How do you do that for free on an iPad?

I use ship finder

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 17:09   #118
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post

I use ship finder
You just download the free app from Vesper

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 17:28   #119

Didn't mean to start a war here. I value Mark's opinion, he has done it and is still doing it. Lot to be said for experience. Free, sometimes gets overlooked as inferior or difficult.

I do like the idea though of the Ipad, it is not expencive compared to a decent chartplotter, that takes $400.00 dollar chips that covers a small area compared to a $30.00 down load that covers most of europe.
Old 24-06-2013, 00:29   #120
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Didn't mean to start a war here. I value Mark's opinion, he has done it and is still doing it. Lot to be said for experience. Free, sometimes gets overlooked as inferior or difficult.

I do like the idea though of the Ipad, it is not expensive compared to a decent chartplotter, that takes $400.00 dollar chips that covers a small area compared to a $30.00 down load that covers most of europe.
We've been using the ipad 1 almost exclusively here in the Med and when we were in California. It's awesome! You will need the most expensive ipad in order to get internal GPS and enough memory for all the charts.

I challenge anyone out there to find a traditional chartplotter that does all that.

Our Furuno chart plotter is now used only for radar, and the laptop loaded with Nobeltec software sits idle (Med charts cost over $800!) Who wants to stand behind the wheel all the time to look at the chartplotter or go below to look at a laptop on the chart table, when you can see where you are and where you're heading anywhere on the boat with the ipad in it's waterproof, anti-glare, shock-proof floating case.

'Just for those who will argue "what if it breaks," I'm waiting to get a new ipad 5 when it comes out this Fall, for even more added redundancy.

Our ipad plays music while it charts our course, and with the newer Ipads, you can snap pictures as you travel, and coordinate/file them along with stops along the way.... and did I mention.... it plays music while doing the other three things at the same time. Anchor alarm: Does that too. However, an ipad will not do AIS, it can't because AIS uses a VHF antenna.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad