Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 22:54   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Ipad Navigation

Hi.
I assume that this has been covered, I have done some searching and there is loads of data on this. Unfortunately I have been wading through it but am still not shore which way to go as there may be advantages to particular chart and app supliers depending on which part of the world you are sailing.
So with that in mind I was hoping to get a quick answer.

I would like to load a nav application tomorrow. I will be cruising down the south coast of NSW from Sydney.

We have bought the lates Ipad. I am an idiot so I can't tell yuo which one it is, my wife has it. But I did make shore that it was the more expensive model with the inbuilt GPS that will work out to sea.

I am looking for good quality charts for that part of Australia.

An Anchor watch function.

And an AIS compatability for when I get one.

With this in mind, which one should I get? I may be asking how long is a piece of string here but am hoping for a quick desisive and practical answer.
Thanks in advance and I will be on a plane for 4 hours so will respond as soon as I can.
Sorry about the spelling as the checker is not working.

Thanks heaps.
Jeff
Old 09-04-2013, 23:25   #2

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Re: Ipad Navigation

Hi Jeff

I live on the remote west coast oz and use Navionics without a problem. You can download any part of Australia you wish at anytime and it only costs you the data cost. Or just connect to free WIFI etc. Not sure about the AIS as I have all that seperate. But I have used Navionics only up until now and its been extremely acurate.
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 23:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Navionics is your quick easy answer (Itunes app store - Navionics Australia and new zealand)

There other others as well, but I have used the navionics app in the part of Australia you are sailing and I know it works, and gives good tide data and similar built in.

Just remember to download the charts you want for the voyage whilst you are still in a wifi zone if you can - its quicker and simpler
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Navionics is good. But if you think you will want AIS later, then consider iNavX or SEAiq. iNavX uses Navionics charts.

The reason is that the Navionics app can't accept GPS or AIS data coming over WiFi. It can only use the built-in GPS and so it has no provision for AIS. The other two apps (and there may be more) will use the built-in GPS now but later when you get an AIS they will work with that too since they can accept data over WiFi. Otherwise, you might end up buy the app and charts twice.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Good Point Jeff, your company makes good gear and your advice is good also!

On another point I have long used GPS NAVX - the MAC "version" of INAVX and the support from the maker is first class, and ongoing, for something that cost me $50 I think.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:15   #6

Go to:
i-Marine Apps
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:35   #7

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Thanks fellas
Have downloaded navionics and it looks great. Jervis Bay here we come.
I also have a garmen chart ploter so it is not the only gps on baord.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2013, 13:25   #8

Boat: Watkins W27

I use Navionics and also have the Bad Elf GPS which clips onto my iPad. This maintains GPS position when you venture out past the cell tower range.
TheFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:49   #9
AGC

Boat: Wright 10

We're on the EC of Aus and use iSailor on an iPad2.
I think the graphics on iSailor are superior to Navionics, but I guess it's personal preference. If your iPad has the built in GPS receiver (iPad 2 and above) you don't need an external receiver or need to be in cell tower range.
We have ours mounted under the dodger in a movable plastic holder.
AGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use INavX and like it but have not tried others, so can't comment on which is "Best".

I will say that Ayetides is a complete home run if you want tides and currents, and it integrates well with iNavX.

Regarding the iPad . . . I was pleasantly surprised that it gets and holds a gps lock inside a metal boat (with the built in gps). I did not think it would do that. The unpleasant surprise is the screen is much less readable in sunlight than I had hoped - almost useless - I have to take it under the dodger to see it.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:54   #11

I debated the Navionics vs iNavx and for me I went with the Navionics HD with the navigation 'add in' to the app for another couple of dollars.

For the present it was a simple economic decision. I think iNavx has more features however, I sail the Great Lakes and in order to use CHS Canadian charts you need a Traverse account at an additional cost and then you need to purchase the same Navionics charts that I would get with the Navionics app for the Great Lakes for another $150. I think the entire cost for what I need sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron every year would come to around $300 for iNavx whereas the Navionics HD app with charts for all of Canada, the U.S. and the Bahamas was $50.

I am quite satisfied with the Navionics app.

When I leave these areas I may need to reconsider but for now Navionics works for me. INavx does appear to be superior for planning and integrating with other systems and services.

I will mention that I also downloaded the Great Lakes Charts and Tides app and found it to be a complete waste of money.

I am going to initiate another thread because I am also curious what others are using to protect their iPad if anything.

Randy
On liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:47   #12

Boat: O'Day 302
Isailor is really good.

Lifeproof case for toughening it up.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation