Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 08:18   #46

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Not to hijack this thread, but have Navionics on my iPad an also have raymarine E120 plotters (x2)...... Can my raymarine read the charts from the iPad Navionics, or do I still need to buy the over priced Navionics cards and insert into the raymarine plotter?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:19   #47

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: iPad Navionics

No, can not.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:45   #48

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws
Re: iPad Navionics vs iNavX

Hi all,

I got a used wifi-only iPad 1 for Christmas. I have added a GPS by purchasing a Dual Bluetooth GPS. (from Amazon--an approved Apple device). I have confirmed that the Dual is working with the built-in Maps app. So I am assuming it will work for everything.

We are leaving to Tonga in 24 hours, where the internet is really problematic. So I have about 24 hours to decide what to purchase as backup navigation for my iPad. I already have a pretty good nav solution onboard, and lots of backups for that solution (several GPS's and several computers). But I want to be able to do it on my iPad too.

So I have about 24 hours to make the decision about which app to buy, which charts to buy, and get it downloaded and installed, before we got out into 'almost dialup speed' on the internet.

I have been looking at both iNavX and Navionics as the primary app. I don't really want to buy both, and 2 sets of charts, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

Can anyone who knows the difference tell me if there is a clear difference TODAY between the iNavX and Navionics apps (current versions) in usability, chart ability, etc. I know there's a small price difference, but that's not a deciding factor.

I will need to download and install completely all the charts we might use for the next year, covering about 7,000 miles in the Western Pacific (Tonga, Fiji, Marshall Islands, etc)

As for charts, for the Western Pacific, I would assume that the Navionics charts are the hands-down winners, right?

I met a couple of cruisers crossing the Pacific last year that were using their iPad as a backup device, one said 'iNavX' and another didn't know/understand whether he was using Navioncs APP or iNavX with Navionics charts.

Finally, as a footnote, if you have any 'must have' apps that are only specific to detached cruisers (far from land, in crappy internet), I'd love to hear about it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sherry & Dave
s/v Soggy Paws
In Tonga for the Cyclone Seaon
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:55   #49

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
Hi all,

I got a used wifi-only iPad 1 for Christmas. I have added a GPS by purchasing a Dual Bluetooth GPS. (from Amazon--an approved Apple device). I have confirmed that the Dual is working with the built-in Maps app. So I am assuming it will work for everything.

We are leaving to Tonga in 24 hours, where the internet is really problematic. So I have about 24 hours to decide what to purchase as backup navigation for my iPad. I already have a pretty good nav solution onboard, and lots of backups for that solution (several GPS's and several computers). But I want to be able to do it on my iPad too.

So I have about 24 hours to make the decision about which app to buy, which charts to buy, and get it downloaded and installed, before we got out into 'almost dialup speed' on the internet.

I have been looking at both iNavX and Navionics as the primary app. I don't really want to buy both, and 2 sets of charts, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

Can anyone who knows the difference tell me if there is a clear difference TODAY between the iNavX and Navionics apps (current versions) in usability, chart ability, etc. I know there's a small price difference, but that's not a deciding factor.

I will need to download and install completely all the charts we might use for the next year, covering about 7,000 miles in the Western Pacific (Tonga, Fiji, Marshall Islands, etc)

As for charts, for the Western Pacific, I would assume that the Navionics charts are the hands-down winners, right?

I met a couple of cruisers crossing the Pacific last year that were using their iPad as a backup device, one said 'iNavX' and another didn't know/understand whether he was using Navioncs APP or iNavX with Navionics charts.

Finally, as a footnote, if you have any 'must have' apps that are only specific to detached cruisers (far from land, in crappy internet), I'd love to hear about it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sherry & Dave
s/v Soggy Paws
In Tonga for the Cyclone Seaon
i have both, as backup. INavx with Navionics chart, and also a set off just navionic charts.
so if it is only as backup, just get the navionis charts, and with a GPS to the I-Pad you can se where you are. Cheepest.
INavX is a chart plotter progrm, and need also a set of charts, that has to be downloaded from them.

have a nice trip
Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23   #50
cruiser

I have both. If you need it right now, get the Navionics product. It's less expensive since iNavX will cost $50 + the Navionics charts cost. Just get the Navionics product and save the $50. The Navionics product might even be less expensive than the Navionics charts for iNavX - I'm honestly not sure.

There is a new competitor to Navionics coming soon too and I think that'll really change the complexion of the whole iPad chartplotter decision. Still, if you need it today, go with the Navionics app.

Get DragQueen for iPhone too. It's free and will work on the iPad. I'm the author of DragQueen.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20   #51

Boat: 1974 islander 44
+1 for navionics ! I love it. Have it on iPhone and iPad. I like it so well I bought both versions. Actually had it on an android phone too. Nice to see you back around on here Jeff.
Jeff resisted blowing his own horn here. I have had charts and tides us west on my phone and iPad for quite a while too. Charts and tides gives you access to the active captain data base , and this has been more helpful than any other app on my boat. In my opinion it is a much better and easier resource to use than coast pilots or any cruising guide. Just downloaded drag queen I had a question or what I thought was a problem , using an app called nuti-charts on my android , and Jeff went way out of his way to support it , and it isn't even his app. Turns out it was just an operator error , and after several emails back and forth between jeff and the vendor that created the app , I figured out that it was just something I was doing wrong. I will support active captain , and recommend this product to anyone. I have no affiliation with active captain other than being one happy customer. Thanks for bringing innovation to the marine iPad app world Jeff.
On a trip from the puget sound to Portland Oregon , my iPad became the primary source of nav on somebody else's boat. Not because theirs failed , but simply because the navionics app was so much better than the relic of a lawrance system that was on board. And when we pulled in at neah bay , after hours , I was able to find all the info I needed to navigate into neah bay , find an after hours phone# for the fuel dock , and know where to anchor overbite , and what the bottom was like for anchoring.

Never leave home with out my iPad/iPhone and I thoroughly love the navionics and charts and tides app.

Hope that helps
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain
I have both. If you need it right now, get the Navionics product. It's less expensive since iNavX will cost $50 + the Navionics charts cost. Just get the Navionics product and save the $50. The Navionics product might even be less expensive than the Navionics charts for iNavX - I'm honestly not sure.

There is a new competitor to Navionics coming soon too and I think that'll really change the complexion of the whole iPad chartplotter decision. Still, if you need it today, go with the Navionics app.

Get DragQueen for iPhone too. It's free and will work on the iPad. I'm the author of DragQueen.
I have navionics USA and Australasia in my ipad and iphone.

In Thailand the ipad was plotting within a few feet of the laptop based cmap on the boat.

Navionics has done everything I need for a low cost/backup type solution.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16   #53

Thanks all for the reply. Sounds like it is:

Navionics +3 iNavX +0

Just for anyone else who stumbles on this link, here's a relatively recent comparison by a French guy who is currently (I think) at sea in mid-Atlantic, using iNavX. He is partial to iNavX--he helped with the French Language translation. But it seems a pretty balanced comparison.

Francois Fustier's Site (in English)

Last call--anyone want to chime in and tell me I'm making a big mistake buying the pure Navionics version vs. iNavX+Navionics charts?

Thanks,
Sherry (packing for Tonga)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57   #54

Boat: Pelin Crusader 42ft
Hi

We use here in New Zealand, Memory Map which uses the official NZ charts and is raster scan. On board we have also iSailor which I like because it offers course and heading up direction . Navionics is our third choice which is certainly OK but I find it a little basic in terms of features offered.I think all three programmes offer SW charts and are quite in expensive.

Overall for us the Memory Map software is the one we use mostly because the charts are familiar and it seems to have the most nav features e.g. waypoints,routes etc.etc. It closely resembles the computer version which we have also.There is a free ipad version you can trial.

We are ex ocean cruisers in the South Pacific over 30 years but now cruise the NZ coast.
timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:58   #55

Boat: Ct 37
I have navionics and love it
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 15:07   #56

Boat: Pelin Crusader 42ft

By SW charts I meant SW Pacific Charts and we use Drag Queen too. Just had 55 knot subtropical depression come through Auckland . Drag Queen was ON but not activated thankfully.
timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 15:16   #57

Boat: O45 ordered

I use Navionics and I did not activate the Ray Marine plotter on my chartered boats in Croatia (once) and Holland (twice).
For 35 euro/dollars you cannot buy anything better.
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 17:22   #58

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Use Navionics for Android as a back up. Best dollar investment made for boating gear in a long time.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42   #59

Re: iPad Navionics & iNavX & SEAiq

After my post last year, based on the feedback for the Navionics app instead of iNavX, I went ahead and got the Navionics Australasia app, and haven't regretted it.

However, at the Annapolis boat show (Oct 2012), I saw some demos with iNavX and the NMEA interface capabilities. So I went ahead and bought the iNavX app and the chart region for Fiji/Tonga. But after shelling out nearly $150, I am REALLY disappointed to find that iNavX doesn't navigate across the dateline well. It's nearly impossible to use iNavX in Fiji, where the dateline runs through the middle. There is a hard chart-edge right through the middle of the cruising grounds!! Very annoying. But you guys who will never get to Fiji don't need to worry about that, and iNavX in generally looks to be pretty feature-rich AND actively being enhanced.

On a different subject, for those of you who are using a PC-based chart plotter and already have the C-Map charts on your PC, there is a new app called Seaip Open that will use your C-Map (CM93 v2) charts... It's free to download and try, but won't display the small detail charts unless you pay... I think the cost for the 'full version' is only $20. But it's really nice to have a 'try before you buy'--wish more apps had that feature!

You load the CM93 charts on by installing them to the Files section for that app (in iTunes) and then syncing. A little technical to do, but doable--the help on this in the app is pretty specific. And in the U.S. you can download the free vector charts.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30   #60

Sorry for another post, but I can't seem to find the 'edit my message' button to correct an error in the last post. The app I talked about last--that can use your computer-based CM93v2 charts on your iPad is SEAiq, not SEAip. Sorry 'bout that.

Sherry

Tags
Ipad, navionics