Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 07:02   #16
cruiser

Re: IPad software ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Thanks
Any particular reason you chose iNavX ?
It was the best app available 4 years ago, and still seems to kick butt over open cpn or some of the others. When we got the new ipad we didn't have to buy the European charts or the app all over again, they just transferred across. For a full set of European charts it cost around $79 two years ago, plus the app was around $50 four years ago.

Today, Nobeltec is a free app for ipad, but then you need to purchase the European charts for around $49 per set, but they do cover fairly large areas. For the USA and Canada, if you buy the INavX app, I think and entire set of charts is included.

We have droid phones and considered buying a droid tablet, but decided to stick with apple, because I couldn't find any marine Nav apps that even came close.

INavX is very easy to use. I can easily navigate a 12 hour passage on just a single charge for the ipad 1 whilst listening to music at the same time, and can probably get days out of the ipad air doing the same thing.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:13   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
I have on my Ipad Inavx, Navionics, isailor and my favorite Garmin. Inavx is a non intuitive pain in the butt, Navionics is historically inaccurate in the areas I'm sailing (Keys & Bahamas), Isailor is just there and Garmin is used every single trip.. I use my Ipad mini with the garmin app as my main plotter, backup being a 740s that normally runs my radar and sonar. I've also got paper, 2 handhelds, an additional Ipad, Iphone and a 3010c as backup..

The garmin app is using the same exact G2 bluecharts (explorer charts) as the plotters, plus has active captain built in and downloaded with the map so you don't need internet. It gives all the information from coordinates, reviews, contact information etc all permanently stored on your ipad. Not to mention I can plan a trip in my berth and hit send and it's on my chartplotter..
Which Garmin app do you use and how much does it cost. Will it operate with the European raster charts?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:46   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Today, Nobeltec is a free app for ipad, but then you need to purchase the European charts for around $49 per set, but they do cover fairly large areas. For the USA and Canada, if you buy the INavX app, I think and entire set of charts is included.
I use iNavX with Navionics charts for Canada and the NE USA. I agree with Ken that it is a good app (see Ken, we do agree sometimes ). Unfortunately the Canadian charts are not free. They cost me about $50 for all Canadian charts including all the Great Lakes (both Canadian and US sides) plus some border areas in the PNW and NE.

I do like iNavX, although I have one major complaint with it. I find that the program keeps inserting waypoints by mistake. It is all too common that it create a waypoint in error when I'm manipulating the charts. I then have to go and erase it. Annoying...

Our main cockpit chart plotter on our boat remains a Garmin handheld. It is smaller, but after a couple of seasons I simply find the iPad not as functional in the cockpit. I do like the larger screen, and I have a waterproof case which makes it usable in the cockpit. I also have it set up under the dodger using a ram mount to deal with the screen visibility problem (can't read it in bright sunlight). But as I say, after a couple of seasons use I find myself using our handheld more than the iPad for active cockpit navigation.

The other limitation with the iPad is keeping it charged. I found that running the pad with a full bright screen AND running the GPS drains the battery fairly fast. This means I only use it periodically, as opposed to my dedicated handheld all the time.
Old 19-04-2014, 08:58   #19

OK, gotta add another big plus for iNavX. No sooner did I post my complaint about faulty waypoint insertions than the owner (GPSNavX) send me a PM to solve my problem. Problem solved. Thanks!

I have found iNavX to be incredibly responsive to my issues. Customer service is top-notch .
Old 19-04-2014, 09:32   #20

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Mike: have had similar problem with INavX but like it because I can overlay my AIS on it wirelessly. Wht was the solution?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 09:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Mike: have had similar problem with INavX but like it because I can overlay my AIS on it wirelessly. Wht was the solution?
Yes. The ability to accept AIS data looks like a great benefit of iNavX. To answer your question, it's a setting in iNavX's control panel. Here's GPSNavX's answer (hope you don't mind me posting this GPSNavX):

"When the chart is displayed select the Gear button in the upper right hand corner. Scroll down a bit and set "Long Tap New Waypoint" to "OFF".

Question for you: What are you using to receive and wifi transmit the AIS data? I'm looking to add an AIS receiver to our boat.
Old 19-04-2014, 12:56   #22

Boat: Seadog 30

Thanks for all your input peeps

I have now gone with iNavX, fingers crossed I will be able to make sense of it. ;-)
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 13:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Thanks for all your input peeps

I have now gone with iNavX, fingers crossed I will be able to make sense of it. ;-)
You made a good choice. To avoid the battery longevity problem that Mike talked about, I use a 12V power cord whenever the iPad is on navigation mode.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 13:17   #24

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Mike: I am using a Digital Yacht AIS unit that sends wireless. I use Raytech 6 on a laptop and it displays on that with a USB. I didn't check the specs when I bought it, but it only sends to one wireless device. I think they have another model that sends to multiple devices at once, so if I were you I would get that one. With the multiple send one, you could receive on both an IPhone and IPad at the same time. It creates a local wireless network and you just sign in and then connect with INavX.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 13:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On Monday, iNavX v4 will be released (a free update) and it adds a new tiled NOAA chart that presents the NOAA RNC as one continuous chart. Details on how to use it are here..

Using Tiled Chart
Old 19-04-2014, 23:35   #26

Boat: Bowman 46 Yawl
Send a message via Yahoo to scurrvydog Send a message via Skype™ to scurrvydog

I have used iNavx and Navionics for 20+ deliveries. The trips included the Med, Baltic, and Adriatic...the majority were Atlantic/Caribbean offshore. Before I get underway, to ensure accuracy regarding depth, aids to nav, or any other issues covered in The Notices to Mariners (NTM), I just update my Navionics charts. Their data is constantly being refreshed. Both apps are valid and excellent navigation tools, but I want the most current information and only Navionics gives me that.
scurrvydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:45   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"
Re: IPad Software?

What are some of the feature you like or dislike with inavx and the Navioncis APP?
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:28   #28

Boat: Seadog 30
Re: IPad Software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
What are some of the feature you like or dislike with inavx and the Navioncis APP?
Far to early to say for me.
What I didn't realise was the apps are simply the programs that read the charts.
The two things that made me go InavX was the ability to read data from other devices and more importantly the number of times I read posts about the failure of Navionics to reply to questions.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
On Monday, iNavX v4 will be released (a free update) and it adds a new tiled NOAA chart that presents the NOAA RNC as one continuous chart. Details on how to use it are here..

Using Tiled Chart
That is one thing I like about iNavX. Updates are free, U.S. charts are free, and even iNavX on a second iPad is free.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, software, ipad