Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 08:32   #1

Boat: Bavaria 35H
is there anybody who use timezero with radar directly without MFD?

hello,
at his time we are thinking about a new navigation solution.
one idea is to use a low power mini pc to run timezero with one screen at the navigation table and a second screen (waterproof touchscreen) at the helm.
we also want to install a radar. if I have looked right at the internet it should be possible to connect a furuno DS4D radar directly to the pc without any MFD.

Is there anybody who uses such a constellation in real live?
molly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:19   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: is there anybody who use timezero with radar directly without MFD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly21 View Post
hello,
at his time we are thinking about a new navigation solution.
one idea is to use a low power mini pc to run timezero with one screen at the navigation table and a second screen (waterproof touchscreen) at the helm.
we also want to install a radar. if I have looked right at the internet it should be possible to connect a furuno DS4D radar directly to the pc without any MFD.

Is there anybody who uses such a constellation in real live?
I recommend you change your choice of components. Assuming you have a sailboat, these will do what you want:

1. B&G 4G radar dome
2. NMEA2000 network with YachtDevices Ethernet or wifi gateway. The network should have a GPS, depth sounder/log, and if you want autopilot, a heading sensor and AP unit.
3. A suitable computer + screen or laptop. Apple Mac Mini or MacbookPro or a Windows laptop.

Add free software like OpenCPN to that. OpenCPN can directly control the radar, even setup etc.

When budget allows, I recommend an iPad with iSailor app as well. It will get all instrument data over wifi and maps are a different source and affordable.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:57   #3

actually we have allready navigational gear from raymarine with mfd, autopilot, wind, depth, log and a digital yacht wifi gate for nmea 2000 /seatalk ng
I also use a tablet with navionics as backup.

I know OpenCPN but unfortunately this not what I want. I have tested it for a while, but it was not stable.

So I am thinking about Timezero.
Old 26-06-2020, 20:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
actually we have allready navigational gear from raymarine with mfd, autopilot, wind, depth, log and a digital yacht wifi gate for nmea 2000 /seatalk ng
I also use a tablet with navionics as backup.

I know OpenCPN but unfortunately this not what I want. I have tested it for a while, but it was not stable.

So I am thinking about Timezero.
I have Timezero... have been using it for a long time... but not anymore. My favorite is iSailor but I also have a B&G Vulcan... and OpenCPN. It is stable, so you must be able to get it stable with different hardware/software. Often it is Windows drivers (like USB for NMEA interface) That cause trouble. I recommend testing with NMEA over wifi.

Your Raymarine equipment is good, as is the wifi gateway. Why replace it with Timezero?
Old 26-06-2020, 23:11   #5

Boat: Rival 36

I have the set up you describe with the Furuno radar and WiFi connection to TimeZero but to an iPad, not a PC. Works fine. I chose it not because it’s cheaper than conventional radars (which it is) but because I made a decision not to go along the multifunction display route. Furuno also has it’s own app but it doesn’t show charts in the background.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 00:10   #6

But I do not want a tablet as primary navigation gear. Unfortunately the Furuno WIFI radar only supports TZtouch and not the PC version.
So, back to my question, is there anyone who uses a Furuno radar connected directly to PC running timezero? TZ says it should work...
Old 27-06-2020, 05:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But I do not want a tablet as primary navigation gear. Unfortunately the Furuno WIFI radar only supports TZtouch and not the PC version.
So, back to my question, is there anyone who uses a Furuno radar connected directly to PC running timezero? TZ says it should work...
Oh wait you are looking at that wifi radar... no, I do not recommend that at all. You can use the regular radar domes with TZ; I used the DRS-4D. These, like Navico, are Ethernet based and you replace the special plug that normally connects to the mfd into a standard Ethernet RJ45 which you plug into your router.
This works. The Furuno wifi radar I don’t think so and it is not a good radar at all.
Old 27-06-2020, 05:29   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To add to my last post: a Furuno MFD is just a computer running TZ so when you use the software on a laptop or desktop computer, it isn’t a trick but it’s the same thing using a different hardware platform.
Old 28-06-2020, 05:46   #9

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

I've been using the Furuno First Watch WiFi radar with TimeZero for several years now. I have never tried a PC based system, only an iPad Pro. My home waters are the coast of Maine so radar for dense fog days is a must for me. While the Furuno DRS4W First Watch system catches a lot of flack, I'm pretty happy with the radar. TimeZero has a great app for navigation and the radar module integrates easily. The First Watch allows for two devices to be connected at any time and I generally run two iPads while sailing. Both are normally connected to the radar when there is any concern with visibility. One system is set on TZ with radar display and the other displays just the radar screen. There are times when an uncluttered radar screen is advantageous. My iPads are in excellent cases and located under a hard dodger with a constant power source. I can also mount one at the nav station if I am down below for any period. The First Watch replaced a 2007 vintage Raymarine radar/chartplotter system that had a lot of features, but was incredibly painful to use. Power draw was also a huge factor; the First Watch draws a small amount of power and can quickly go from standby to full on. I know there are many arguments to be made for traditional chartplotters and more powerful radars, but I have yet to believe they are the best option for me. An iPad is just too damned versatile and so much less expensive. Along with the high cost, Raymarine's lack of support for a seven year old system was also a major factor in my choice for the iPad option.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:50   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 Owner's Ver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
I've been using the Furuno First Watch WiFi radar with TimeZero for several years now. I have never tried a PC based system, only an iPad Pro. My home waters are the coast of Maine so radar for dense fog days is a must for me. While the Furuno DRS4W First Watch system catches a lot of flack, I'm pretty happy with the radar. TimeZero has a great app for navigation and the radar module integrates easily. The First Watch allows for two devices to be connected at any time and I generally run two iPads while sailing. Both are normally connected to the radar when there is any concern with visibility. One system is set on TZ with radar display and the other displays just the radar screen. There are times when an uncluttered radar screen is advantageous. My iPads are in excellent cases and located under a hard dodger with a constant power source. I can also mount one at the nav station if I am down below for any period. The First Watch replaced a 2007 vintage Raymarine radar/chartplotter system that had a lot of features, but was incredibly painful to use. Power draw was also a huge factor; the First Watch draws a small amount of power and can quickly go from standby to full on. I know there are many arguments to be made for traditional chartplotters and more powerful radars, but I have yet to believe they are the best option for me. An iPad is just too damned versatile and so much less expensive. Along with the high cost, Raymarine's lack of support for a seven year old system was also a major factor in my choice for the iPad option.
Hi, holtjp!
I've been looking at the Furuno DRS4W for a while now and would love to install one as I would not have to run new cables.
However, I'm concerned about the wifi signal strength.
Can you perhaps elaborate on how and where your radar is installed and what you think the pro's and cons are? Especially regarding dead zones, or not.
Also, how do your masts interfere with the radar, if any?
Mainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:45   #11

Boat: Pearson 323

I have Furuno First Watch with TimeZero, Wi-Fi, and 2 iPads, have used it in shore, coastal, and off shore. I’m a single hander and found it very useful, accurate, and easy to use.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:23   #12

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstay View Post
Hi, holtjp!
I've been looking at the Furuno DRS4W for a while now and would love to install one as I would not have to run new cables.
However, I'm concerned about the wifi signal strength.
Can you perhaps elaborate on how and where your radar is installed and what you think the pro's and cons are? Especially regarding dead zones, or not.
Also, how do your masts interfere with the radar, if any?

There is one power cable that you have to run, but for me that was a simple task. The cable is rather flexible and was a bit smaller than my older cabling. I installed the radar on an aft tower located on the starboard quarter. That's where the old radar was found. Signal strength has never been an issue, whether in dense fog or a crowded, built up harbor. I've stood on the bow with an iPhone connected with a strong signal. The mast has never been an obstacle to signal coverage. I've never detected any dead zones in coverage. The radar detects foam lobster pots at a safe range for maneuvering. Larger objects are clearly shown. Weather fronts are a bit more sketchy; you will not get the same range as a more powerful system for weather threats. You will also not get a lot of advanced features like MARPA, though in my experience those features take more effort than I was willing to invest. You are also locked in to the Apple iOS. Not an issue for me, but a deal breaker for some. The truth is, you can find a lot to not like about the FirstWatch system. For me, all those negatives were not major factors. I am not a radar geek. I like the simplicity of use, the low power draw, the seamless integration with my iPad, and the low purchase cost. One last advantage is that guest crew boat become proficient with the FW radar and iPad nav systems very quickly. That was never the case with the older systems.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar