Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 12:39   #106

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Re: ISailor charts now charging annual subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
Internal , sim card models all.
OK, you have just cost me some money to check. I have updated Italy West Coast despite not being able to go there. At the moment. The internal GPS works fine. I can see myself in the Alps. That is on an iPad Mini 4 with SIM and therefore GPS.

Perhaps your next step is to look how old your kit is and whether out of date iOS versions remain supported. Those answers should be on the Wartsila web site. As this thread ought to indicate. nothing tech is forever.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:45   #107
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
Internal , sim card models all.
Works for me on an iPhone and iPad with internal GPS.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 13:08   #108

Boat: Ingrid 38’

Thank y’all, it’s not a chart we updated, but Wartsila newest operating version. The two that we updated are her old iPhone 6 and my new small iPad Pro, they don’t connect gps now. The antique iPad and her large iPad Pro we haven’t updated with their newest operating version are working as always ? ?
bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 12:59   #109
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

What version are you using? The latest I see is 1.11.0 that was released a year ago.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 13:42   #110

Boat: Hans Christian 41
ISailor charts now charging annual subscription

I have really enjoyed using isailor over the years, when integrated with onboard, gps/ais, it gives a great alternative to Navionics etc.

All this messing about by the new owners is worrying though, support your product Wartsila.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 14:11   #111

Boat: Ingrid 38’

It’s 1.11.0 . We have enjoyed our iSailor for better than half a circumnavigation now and years before beginning it. Just trying to resolve the issue as it ain’t much good without the gps. Have gone on line in search of a dongle that bluetooths as Apple doesn’t utilize usb’s
bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:44   #112

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

Well they are at it again. Remember Wartsila told us those who purchased charts before the takeover would not be charged for updates . This was after we lobbied Wartsila & made hundreds of complaints. Well I just checked my purchased charts & they are trying to charge me again . Clearly this company cannot be trusted & their word is worthless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0368DEA7-1DFD-443D-9A67-7FE187428463.png
Views:	56
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	217905  
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:50   #113

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Well they are at it again. Remember Wartsila told us those who purchased charts before the takeover would not be charged for updates . This was after we lobbied Wartsila & made hundreds of complaints. Well I just checked my purchased charts & they are trying to charge me again . Clearly this company cannot be trusted & their word is worthless.
I believe you are right. I just run my update and tada... Charts are now again to be purchased on a yearly base.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 10:57   #114

It was only a year ago we received the email to say the updates would be free for existing customers who purchased before the takeover. Does anyone still have the letter ?
Old 22-06-2020, 11:08   #115

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Quote:
It was only a year ago we received the email to say the updates would be free for existing customers who purchased before the takeover. Does anyone still have the letter ?
The email from december 22nd, 2018, mentionned:
As a thank you to all iSailor users we will continue providing chart correction service to all iSailors who purchased charts (except for some Danish folios) before November 28th, 2018 (1.11.0 version release). Safety of navigation comes first and we want to make sure your charts are always up-to-date.

The email term of Service Change from November 30th 2018:
Terms of Service Change
Dear iSailors,
We have received a lot of comments about our recent iSailor update. As always, community feedback is tremendously important to us, thank you for voicing your opinion. We do appreciate that.

We want to provide some context around these changes.
Why the change

While our existing model has worked well for thousands of customers, and us, it has certain drawbacks in terms of our obligations to Hydrographic Offices and the whole charts production infrastructure, that we have been addressing for quite some time, based on the various feedback we received.

To continue providing you with reliable service, worldwide chart collection, and chart updates, we decided to change our model. We believe that such a model is more sustainable in the long run and will allow us to continue making iSailor great for you.

Our terms have always stated that charges are subject to change. In hindsight, we should have provided notice of these changes much further in advance, so we apologize for that.

All your purchased chart folios remain available, and you can continue using them for as long as you wish to. You can find information on how to restore previously purchased charts here =>

Our customers expect professional support from our team. That is why we have a dedicated support team at isailor.support@wartsila.com that will be happy to assist with all your queries.

As we continue to evolve the iSailor application, we plan to release lots of new features, for instance, the Autorouting feature is planned to be released in the first half of 2019.

One of the top goals at iSailor has always been to provide our users with the best possible experience, both regarding the product and the services surrounding it.
If you have any further questions, please send an email to isailor.support@wartsila.com, and we’ll be happy to answer!

iSailor team
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 11:18   #116

Many of us received an email saying we would not have to pay for future updates as per the Tranas deal. In hindsight this was just to shut us up . Looking at the App store reviews not many people are buying I Sailor these days most people can see it's a scam . I will be searching for a new chart platform but I will keep the charts I have just in case .
Old 22-06-2020, 12:16   #117

Found it they posted on FB they would give the free updates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BECEA3B-D513-46AB-A01D-EFD8084A8F78.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	217907  
Old 23-06-2020, 02:49   #118

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Found it they posted on FB they would give the free updates

It’s weird as I first purchased my charts in 2017 and had updated them (for free). Now the chart dates are shown as 2019 and I will be charged if I update the charts. So I’m not sure if the chart date is being used to get around the offer.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, charts, sail