Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2023, 05:23   #1

iSailor iPad Connection

If anybody has any insight in this, I would be extremely thankful!

I just purchased and setup a new iPad with iSailor. I am on a Ship that goes to the Middle East, Africa, Caribbean, Mexico, and back along the Coast of the States. I got iSailor to be able to read COG, SOG, Heading, and projected path as we are docking. I got this instead of going Pilot Pro (Thousands of Dollars per year with the Charts I would need.) I also got a Ksntek KSN11-W to transmit form our Class A AIS Plug. Another Captain in our Fleet uses the same setup, without any issues.

I can see the data coming in via the Trace Log, but it is all RED, except for one line (other AIS Targets.) Everything is setup correctly as per the manuals of each.

The only thing I can think of, is the AIS Class A option is blanked out for purchase.

iOS GPS works.

When plugged directly into our GPS, still doesn't work.

Anybody have any remedies that I can't think of, and wouldn't mind sharing?
MasterMariner86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:48   #2

Re: iSailor iPad Connection

You have problem identified. You need to buy the Class A AIS option. I can’t help you with how, since it is grayed out on my iPad install as well.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:38   #3

Shucks, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your confirmation. I think older versions that upgraded to the newest version have been "Grandfathered" as I stated, I know somebody with the same setup and it works perfectly on their Ship.

FYI, like most, Wartsila doesn't respond to calls, e-mails, reviews, messages....
Old 11-09-2023, 10:10   #4

Have you purchased the "AIS Receiver Support"? IIRC (it has been a while) you have to purchase the base-level support, then you can add the Class A support. That is my recollection, take it for what it is worth since you won't be able to get your money back.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 19:42   #5

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Have you purchased the "AIS Receiver Support"? IIRC (it has been a while) you have to purchase the base-level support, then you can add the Class A support. That is my recollection, take it for what it is worth since you won't be able to get your money back.
This is my recollection as well.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 22:08   #6

I’ve completely moved away from ISailor for IBoat. Better interface better charts more options . Try picking up a cheap Bluetooth GPS receiver . I keep a auxiliary one with me and had to use it for my last trip when my AIS/WiFi network went TU.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:43   #7

Thank you for the update....I believe I purchased all options except for Internet AIS and the Autopilot Feature. I do not see the Receiver Support ion this one (I can see it on my personal iPad as $10.99.) I just tried Seaiq Pilot Pro, and that got all the data working. Seems like the developers need to allow access to the thing, which is annoying in its own. I would use Seaiq, but Chartworld is expensive with their Chart Purchases, and it would be over $1,000/Year for me to get the Charts I need. And that's just Harbor and Approach Charts.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:44   #8

I don't blame you. I thought iSailor would be a good fit, but it isn't. I may have AMEX dispute the charges and get the Money back, it's absurd. 2 or 3 phone calls into Wartsila America, 3 e-mails, reviews, messages on this forum. Not a peep.
Old 16-09-2023, 13:02   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMariner86 View Post
I don't blame you. I thought iSailor would be a good fit, but it isn't. I may have AMEX dispute the charges and get the Money back, it's absurd. 2 or 3 phone calls into Wartsila America, 3 e-mails, reviews, messages on this forum. Not a peep.
Its discontinued and left as is. Wärtsila sold it and new owner kept as is online, no support available.
Its still good and stable chartplotter with cheap maps. AIS won't work either for me but i have navionics on ipad and chartplotter and orca core with orca maps too both with AiS and autopilot functioning.

I try getting the autopilot and AIS done with isailor, no luck so far. i have a yachtdevices YDWG2N dongle broadcasting and receiving NmEa0183 and N2K and a raymarine S2G autopilot computer. I most likely need to set filters in the dongle so the servers modify the sentences so the isailor gets it in a format he can understand but don't know how.

Red sentences in trace means isailor don't understand it, white are ok.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, sail