Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Johns Pass-St. Petersburg, Fl

From looking at navionics (picture attached)I have a question about the channel leading north to Johns Pass through Boca Ciega Bay. The section highlighted between the 2 red marks looks like the depth is questionable. On a sailboat drawing 5' is this channel an issue?

Thanks

Foster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	224465  
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:51   #2

Re: Johns Pass-St. Petersburg, Fl

Not sure what you mean by "questionable," but if you stay in the channel you will be okay. Stray outside and, yes, the water is very shallow there. The good news is that the bottom is soft sand. That means, as long as you don't run hard aground at high tide, you are not likely to do any damage, and getting off shouldn't be too difficult.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not sure what you mean by "questionable," but if you stay in the channel you will be okay. Stray outside and, yes, the water is very shallow there. The good news is that the bottom is soft sand. That means, as long as you don't run hard aground at high tide, you are not likely to do any damage, and getting off shouldn't be too difficult.
Didn't someone go aground in that pass IN CHANNEL a little while back? Seem to remember a go fund me for a young couple who went aground there.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:16   #4

With a five-foot draught you'll need to go on a high tide (another two feet or so) slowly! And wiggle round your upper red mark.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:56   #5

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Thank you for the replies.

denverd0n, by questionable I mean that the charted depth in between my red marks is listed as 3-6 ft. Pass A Grille Channel route has more charted water depth. Johns Pass is closer from where I am leaving from and would prefer that route if it is safe.

Yellowtulip, Thank you. From your experience is Pass A Grille a better route from the bridge at Pasadena Ave.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:18   #6

Boat: Contest 35

I’ve done this leg many several times with a 5’2” draft with no problems. And never timed the trip for high tide....
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18   #7

Boat: Spindrift 43

The channel depth is maintained, but with all inlets (or in this case, areas near inlets) it’s subject to occasional shoaling. Keep it mid-channel and you’re likely to be fine. Good advice on running it during a rising tide.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 14:54   #8

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Use this all the time, just tuesday in fact, never had a problem, 4.5' draft
Old 03-10-2020, 03:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
Thank you for the replies.

denverd0n, by questionable I mean that the charted depth in between my red marks is listed as 3-6 ft. Pass A Grille Channel route has more charted water depth. Johns Pass is closer from where I am leaving from and would prefer that route if it is safe.

Yellowtulip, Thank you. From your experience is Pass A Grille a better route from the bridge at Pasadena Ave.

Foster

I've never been there. I just treated it as an exercise in visiting a new port, i.e. examining the chart closely and checking the tides. From the above responses it seems you'll be fine. I would still do it on a rising tide the first time, at least.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:42   #10

Boat: Island Packet 35

Pass was dredged a couple years ago. This was after a couple of high profile grounding. Come in during the day as the markers move or confusing at night without local knowledge. There are large day fishing boats that come and go during the day. Follow in and or ask for advise if confused. ,the captains are all good people. Call the bridge at 4. Once in you can anchor straight ahead, watch your depths carefully and onslaught of weekend boaters on the snad bar. If going south, depths are good close to the houses in the unmarked channel on the right. Once past the slow speed zone, good depths until ICW where you just have to watch fouling and good until before Treasure Island Bridge. Lots of sailboats daily go through the pass.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote