Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2022, 18:14   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Key west to Bimini direct

Hi all,

We are leaving for our first boat trip to the Bahamas in about a week. We are based in Key West. Option A is to work our way up the Keys to Marathon or Key Largo and jump over.

I'm leaning toward Option B though which is to just push out to the Gulf Stream direct from Key West and head straight to Bimini. PredictWind is telling me its about a 24 hour trip.

Anything I'm not thinking of in my planning? Everything I've read talks about getting across the Gulf Stream ASAP, not using it as a highway like we would be doing... is it all the same? Just looking for lighter winds and nothing coming from the North?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.10.43 PM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	258027  
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 06:42   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Key west to Bimini direct

I haven't sailed route but nothing comes to mind as an issue. As you say lots of people talk about getting across the Gulf Stream ASAP but that viewpoint is sometimes off the mark. The Gulf Stream can generate very nasty seas states that you need to be aware of and think about in your planning but the Gulf Stream also can provide a tremendous advantage if the current direction works in your favor.

We have made the passage from the Abacos to North Carolina a couple times and were happy to sit in the middle of the Gulf Stream for a couple days getting a 2-3 knot boost.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 06:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Nothing wrong with using the gulf stream as a highway in my opinion. Most people just depart from Miami to Ft Lauderdale so it is an easterly crossing. Not sure if you are using your screenshot as a forecast but you'll have to motor a few hours south to get into the Gulfstream. The area south of key west is shallow for maybe 50 miles which result in larger ocean swells so motoring will be more uncomfortable.
Old 23-05-2022, 05:44   #4

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I haven't sailed route but nothing comes to mind as an issue. As you say lots of people talk about getting across the Gulf Stream ASAP but that viewpoint is sometimes off the mark. The Gulf Stream can generate very nasty seas states that you need to be aware of and think about in your planning but the Gulf Stream also can provide a tremendous advantage if the current direction works in your favor.

We have made the passage from the Abacos to North Carolina a couple times and were happy to sit in the middle of the Gulf Stream for a couple days getting a 2-3 knot boost.
Thanks all for the insight! Current plan is to use the Gulf Stream direct from Key West. Weather (and getting COVID test results) may change that but we will find out early next week.
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 06:28   #5

As long as you have decent weather, should be a good option.

Looks like it's around 180-200nm, so 24hr given the current boost should be viable for most boats.

Just a question of if you would prefer to break it up or wait and make one big jump.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, key west