Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 10:28   #1

Boat: Malo 39
Kos to Athens, your routing advise

I am planning to sail from Kos to Athens in July. Yep, I know I am going against the Meltemi! Which route do you suggest and I have a window of 10days to do it. Rod Heikell proposes a loop first dropping further south. What's your experience and recommendations? Thanks folk
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:54   #2
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Re: Kos to Athens, your routing advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I am planning to sail from Kos to Athens in July. Yep, I know I am going against the Meltemi! Which route do you suggest and I have a window of 10days to do it. Rod Heikell proposes a loop first dropping further south. What's your experience and recommendations? Thanks folk
Kos-Amorgos-Naxos-Kythnos-Athens
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 11:39   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Is anyone in here who can Predict the wheather conditions in July in Greece ??
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 11:48   #4
Zai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
Is anyone in here who can Predict the wheather conditions in July in Greece ??
85% chance of strong N-NE wind/clear sky/no precipitation.

Old 31-05-2017, 11:56   #5

Dates ?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:23   #6

Thanks Zai. I agree with your weather assessment. Any reason you specifically suggest that route?
Dates are mid July.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49   #7
Zai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Thanks Zai. I agree with your weather assessment. Any reason you specifically suggest that route?
Dates are mid July.
I have sailed this route a few times. Have to pick your days, maybe get stuck in Naxos for a day or two (could be longer). But if you do not mind reefing it can be done pretty reliably. Meltemi can vary a little in regard to wind direction, but it is pretty consistent. Watch the forecast.

it is a reach from Kos to Amorgos and a close reach from Naxos to Kythnos, a bit of tacking to get up Naxos.
We usually tuck into Loutra on Kythnos and the get out early to get around the corner on a close reach to Sounion.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:54   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

I need to do the same, except Marmaris to Athens. (Rhodes first really).
Departing Marmaris around 1st July. (Weather permitting !)

Any recommendations as to route for that from those who know the area ?

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16   #9

I have a deferent opinion than Zai.(no offense Zai )
There is a reason (when meltemi come) why many people who make that passage prefer go south south west passing iOS and sikinos and then turn north to Athens betwen sifnos and kimonos kepping serifos kythnos kea to the right ..
The only watch out spot is a small acceleration zone between sifnos and kimolos ..
Naxos and Paros in meltemi season is good for serfers.. and you are in a Natural Pressure point where all winds from northern Aegean gather (bougazi in Greek language )
But meltemi can't be predict . Uualy hit early Augoust some time come from 15th of July and never leaves (july's 20-25 gust 30 isn't meltemi)and it has a different local patterns .
Many Differences betwen east and west Cyclades and Dodecanese
At agean sea early plans is nice to have something to do at your free time ..
I think all that will show when your are close to dispatch
Old 01-06-2017, 21:01   #10
Zai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
I have a deferent opinion than Zai.(no offense Zai )
There is a reason (when meltemi come) why many people who make that passage prefer go south south west passing iOS and sikinos and then turn north to Athens betwen sifnos and kimonos kepping serifos kythnos kea to the right ..
The only watch out spot is a small acceleration zone between sifnos and kimolos ..
Naxos and Paros in meltemi season is good for serfers.. and you are in a Natural Pressure point where all winds from northern Aegean gather (bougazi in Greek language )
But meltemi can't be predict . Uualy hit early Augoust some time come from 15th of July and never leaves (july's 20-25 gust 30 isn't meltemi)and it has a different local patterns .
Many Differences betwen east and west Cyclades and Dodecanese
At agean sea early plans is nice to have something to do at your free time ..
I think all that will show when your are close to dispatch
No offense taken.
I just prefer to reach and like to avoid passing islands on the south west side when it is blowing hard from the north or north east. I really like the southern Cyclades but one must try to avoid schedules in the windy season, especially when trying to reach Athens on a particular date.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

Last year at the end of July ( Meltemi blowing steadily ) I went north from Kos , staying close to the Turkish coast to Ikaria Island , then had a beam (20 plus knots) reach to the southern end of Mykonos then motored to Syros , no wind at all .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:58   #12

Having just completed Marmaris to Lavrion, I can say Zai's route was a good suggestion. We modified a little due to prevailing weather and for our trip the meltemi was relentless, blowing F5+ every day and on two days F6/7.
Typically blowing from North although shifting NW.
From Kos, routing was
Kalimnos - easy enough first day
Levitha- fantastic anchorage, also with mooring buoys and you have to visit the unbeliveable "restaurant" at the small farmstead.
Amorgos - strong winds and seas of the NW tip. Small harbour at Ay Annas.
Skhinousa - small anchorage S of Mirsini - shelter from meltemi and good holding
Paros - strong winds between Naxos and Paros. Great anchorage on Paros at Ormos Ay Ioannou. Popular but lots of space.
Sifnos - we could just sail/motor to Fikiadha which although massively gusty does give a good rest from the weather and allows for a route to
Kithnos - we tried for Loutra but with the meltemi blowing 30kts + the seas in the bay made the approach dangerous in my view and we took an extra 2 hrs to pass north and to the west on Kithnos to an picturesque anchorage at Fikiadha with good holding ( Kolona alos looked good nearby)
Lavrion - was a bit of a slog to windward and if we had had the time we might have broken the trip and stopped on Kea.

I hope this helps others and thanks again to the advise others provided.

ps Bit dissappointed with Olympic Marine at Lavrion - a ghost town., no mini market and restaurant staff less than welcoming. Any other suggestions welcome.