Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 09:38   #151

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i guess they have had their coffee and got the code 0 out ,8.3kt boat speed now

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...ingLaVagabonde

As expected, Looks like they have made their decision to press-on. They should slot in nicely behind the worst of the front on the 20/21st - still be a bit bumpy for a short while but reasonable wind/wave angles and hopefully not more than a garden gale. Otherwise looking good.

They now have 2 days of plain sailing, making miles, getting rested up, no big distractions. Nikki probably did not get much rest first couple days, hopefully she got recharged last night. I guess that was a much harder start than la vag is used to, they will probably come out of this much better sailors.

Will be interesting which euro or gfs model is correct for 20/21st.
Old 17-11-2019, 09:39   #152
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Couple that with the steady increasing size in houses even as families shrink, along with the fact that they are not built to be energy efficient as size is what sells now and energy efficient is expensive, so if you don’t build efficient you can have more for less.

But a couple could easily reduce their consumption by at least half, ditch the SUV and Pickup truck, drive something efficient and live in a reasonably sized efficient house and you don’t even need to put on a sweater.

All the houses I’ve built in the past 10-15 years had to meet a strict energy code and the code gets stricter by the year
Old 17-11-2019, 10:09   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
As expected, Looks like they have made their decision to press-on. They should slot in nicely behind the worst of the front on the 20/21st - still be a bit bumpy for a short while but reasonable wind/wave angles and hopefully not more than a garden gale. Otherwise looking good.

They now have 2 days of plain sailing, making miles, getting rested up, no big distractions. Nikki probably did not get much rest first couple days, hopefully she got recharged last night. I guess that was a much harder start than la vag is used to, they will probably come out of this much better sailors.

Will be interesting which euro or gfs model is correct for 20/21st.
irregardles of wind speed it will be a hell of a lot more comfortable running with the wind,and they shouldl lose the nasty cross swell they must have been getting from the NW and SE.

BTW ,thanks for putting up all the WX routing and gribs on behalf of myself and i'm sure other CF members
Old 17-11-2019, 10:11   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Also interesting to follow Nikki Henderson on her Facebook site.
This was posted 2 days ago:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/nikki.he...=page_internal

"As dawn broke we sailed into the Gulf Stream. It got warmer, morale improved and the sun has shined all day. Porridge, cashew yogurt fresh berries and peanut butter - breakfast of champions! It feels like we are on a health food show ........."
"It feels like we are on a health food show..."

As opposed to a sailing show?

Rather than referring to this trip as a voyage, trip, passage, etc, she called it a show, which tells you that this whole thing is a mere stunt and not a good-faith opportunity to help someone get to Europe to further her message.

Nope, its a show.
Old 17-11-2019, 10:16   #155

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchecheryl View Post

Rather than referring to this trip as a voyage, trip, passage, etc, she called it a show, which tells you that this whole thing is a mere stunt and not a good-faith opportunity to help someone get to Europe to further her message.

Nope, its a show.
It's both. But there's nothing wrong with tuning into the passage but not the show.
Old 17-11-2019, 10:24   #156

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
It's both. But there's nothing wrong with tuning into the passage but not the show.
Its interesting, personally I feel its not a smart decision at this time of year, but less so now that I know the pro sailor is onboard.

From a business perspective it's a great move, the exposure their already very successful Utube channel will now get should be substantial, in business sometimes you've got to hard and to me that's what they're doing right now, the La Vagabond brand is going more viral now that its attached to Greta. This could really set them up.
Old 17-11-2019, 10:24   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Nope, its a show.
hardly,i think you will find that she was referring to the choice of food for the voyage,that might not be entirely to her liking,lacking in calories , animal protein. and bulk.....now if she starts referring to it as a "health food voyage",then you will know things have really gone wrong in the cooking dept.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:02   #158

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Norway has committed to converting all of their ferries to electric propulsion. I don't know the time frame and what the impact of a recent fire on one of the ferries is but they are headed in that direction.

There is also a ferry running between Denmark and Sweden that is propelled entirely by battery power.
FYI to those with interest in electric ferries. This electric ferry is in 24h operation (made possible by frequent visits to both terminals). It operates the busiest ferry route in Finland, and to my understanding has been a great success.

https://www.finferries.fi/media/elek...nical-data.pdf

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...vessel:ELEKTRA (you can see the charging tower in the pictures)
Old 17-11-2019, 12:30   #159

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
It's how it feels after several days of 35-40kt. Not saying the boat stops on the hole it's making.
You said "And anything less than 20kt and you are effectively becalmed." That is what I was startled by. Below 20 kt is NOT becalmed. Below somewhere around 8 or 10 kt is light air. Below two or three kt is really light air. You are becalmed when you can't maintain steerage.

Vocabulary counts.

If you can't maintain steerage at anything below 20 kts there are a whole lot of other problems.

Most boats simply can't go any faster than they can at some true wind speed between 12 and 18 kts - reefing starts on most boats at true wind speeds of 18 to 20 kts.

"Becalmed." Jeepers.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:41   #160
cruiser

Boat: HR39

Quote:

Nope, its a show.
Discussion of weather, routing, seamanship of La Vag's crossing - no politics or climate discussion pls.

Discussion of
1.weather - Fail
2. routing - Fail
3. seamanship of La Vag's crossing- Fail
no 4. politics- High Distinction
5.climate discussion- Zero Idea
Old 17-11-2019, 13:02   #161

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You said "And anything less than 20kt and you are effectively becalmed." That is what I was startled by. Below 20 kt is NOT becalmed. Below somewhere around 8 or 10 kt is light air. Below two or three kt is really light air. You are becalmed when you can't maintain steerage.

Vocabulary counts.

If you can't maintain steerage at anything below 20 kts there are a whole lot of other problems.

Most boats simply can't go any faster than they can at some true wind speed between 12 and 18 kts - reefing starts on most boats at true wind speeds of 18 to 20 kts.

"Becalmed." Jeepers.
Jeez. You having another bad week?

Matt
Old 17-11-2019, 13:03   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Vocabulary counts.

"Becalmed." Jeepers.
i think your lines got crossed he was referring to my post about relativity,
where i said that after spending a week in a 40 kt gale,that when the wind drops to 30 you are out there putting up more sails and life gets back to nornal.
his comment was that if it drops from 40kts to 20 it feels is as if you are becalmed.
this is what i understood from his comment
Old 17-11-2019, 13:36   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You're right. I think folks here are enjoying the sailing/weather aspects. It is too bad there is not a live cam on board the boat so that folks can see the actual sea conditions and compare it to PredictWind. Kind of like how the Indy drivers have those cameras mounted on the car.
Old 17-11-2019, 13:47   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
You're right. I think folks here are enjoying the sailing/weather aspects. It is too bad there is not a live cam on board the boat so that folks can see the actual sea conditions and compare it to PredictWind. Kind of like how the Indy drivers have those cameras mounted on the car.

Oh, I’m sure there will likely be several YouTube videos about it.
Old 17-11-2019, 14:16   #165

Boat: Westerly 43

Nikki Henderson has just updated FB saying they had 25 to 30 knots overnight gusting 40 before a sudden calm and heavy rain.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...14803459966090
Closed Thread