Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 14:23   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Latest progress: 17 Nov 0900Z - 2200Z

13 hours, 91.3 NM @ 73°. Average speed 7.0 kts.
Old 17-11-2019, 14:24   #167

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean

Looks like they take the waves straight on now, but it’s going to change to starboard during Monday and they are growing if the forecast is correct. The French forecast seems to be the most correct according to their position at 2200GMT and my routing software. Home made Polar now down to 65% efficiency so I guess some reefs must be in.

2200GMT
Click image for larger version

Name:	F141A764-D1A8-4C34-8D9E-E608E2BAFF22.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	203263

Monday

Name:	4E9EEC99-350D-4CD8-BF20-AAE587FBFFFC.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	203264
Old 17-11-2019, 16:30   #168

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeeler View Post
Discussion of weather, routing, seamanship of La Vag's crossing - no politics or climate discussion pls.

Discussion of
1.weather - Fail
2. routing - Fail
3. seamanship of La Vag's crossing- Fail
no 4. politics- High Distinction
5.climate discussion- Zero Idea
I can't make any sense of this post.
Old 17-11-2019, 16:53   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Nikki Henderson has just updated FB saying they had 25 to 30 knots overnight gusting 40 before a sudden calm and heavy rain.

Yea, it is squally - the CAPE is over 1000, which is sort of a threshold to 100% expect that sort of stuff. Tricky multihull sailing.

The forecast gusts are pretty normal as a percent of sustained winds (eg +33% - 50%)

That system has developed into a massive low - they are on the right side of it, fortunately, but there is a lot of energy there. It is stalled, being blocked by high-pressure systems.

I'm a bit surprised the weather ashore on the East Coast USA is not worse. I guess it is just far enough offshore.
Old 17-11-2019, 17:12   #170

The latest routing is much the same as the last one for the next few days.

They are tracking a bit south of the routing - probably to be extra careful with the uncertain secondary low on the 21st - you want to be sure to sail under its core. But right now they are estimated to arrive in right behind the low and follow it and not get caught in its stronger core field - but it will still be another high energy squally wind field.

Name:	<a title=route 17.jpg Views: 245 Size: 249.4 KB ID: 203272" style="margin: 2px" />

this is the weather for the 21st (9UTC) and the boat position is at that yellow kink on the right side

But I am guessing they may track lower than this.
Old 17-11-2019, 17:16   #171

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think your lines got crossed he was referring to my post about relativity,
where i said that after spending a week in a 40 kt gale,that when the wind drops to 30 you are out there putting up more sails and life gets back to nornal.
his comment was that if it drops from 40kts to 20 it feels is as if you are becalmed.
this is what i understood from his comment
You may be right. My reaction to 20-25 kts after a gale is not that I'm becalmed. More often it is that I have a chance to get warm and dry and eat better with full(ish) sail and a happier crew and boat. I've pulled a double in those conditions so crew can catch up on sleep.
Old 17-11-2019, 18:07   #172

Boat: Westerly 43

Currently doing 6 knots in what looks like a 20 knot reach. Not as fast as I would expect from a performance catamaran.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...ingLaVagabonde
Old 17-11-2019, 18:11   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Currently doing 6 knots in what looks like a 20 knot reach. Not as fast as I would expect from a performance catamaran.

Not having ever sailed a performance Cat myself, I can’t say from experience, but just because something can, doesn’t always mean it should.
They may be going that speed for safety and comfort which is in my book safety, and to save stress on the boat.
Or since I really haven’t looked at the forecasts, maybe it to keep from getting into bad weather, maybe by slowing down they stay in more benign conditions?
Old 17-11-2019, 18:13   #174

Boat: Bristol 47.7

There was what I thought was a good explanation for these slower speeds awhile back. Mostly about sea state as I recall.
Old 17-11-2019, 18:28   #175

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Maybe it’s possible that some young people will investigate travel by sail. That might be a good thing?
Old 17-11-2019, 19:09   #176

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
There was what I thought was a good explanation for these slower speeds awhile back. Mostly about sea state as I recall.
That’s what’s been happening in the Brest-Atlantiques race after turning the mark at Rio and heading towards Capetown. Nasty seas head-on had some of them circling back to wait for a more favorable angle and better breeze. No sense beating yourself & boat to smithereens and not getting there any faster than someone who waits, rests, and roars by you when the wind becomes favorable for both of you.
Old 17-11-2019, 19:20   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

the weather is horrible in their patch of the ocean currently,strong squalls heavy rain cells and gusts to 40kts as well as a big southerly swell,i bet some of them onboard might be thinking this was not such a good idea!
good news is it is not cold at all,at around 24c
no doubt they are reefed down for the night
Old 17-11-2019, 19:59   #178

Boat: Westerly 43

I agree. A lot of non sailors follow La Vagabonde. They're great ambassadors for the sport/lifestyle.

I'm betting Riley and Elayna will ditch their diesels and go electric. Cruising may be due for a renaissance among the young in part due its green credentials and image of freedom in an increasingly controlled world. Ridiculously high house prices will also incentivise some to ditch the land life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Maybe it’s possible that some young people will investigate travel by sail. That might be a good thing?
Old 17-11-2019, 23:48   #179

Quote:
Nikki Henderson has just updated FB saying they had 25 to 30 knots overnight gusting 40 before a sudden calm and heavy rain.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...14803459966090
Young Nikki Henderson is not only a very experienced and competent yachtswoman. She also writes comments with wonderfully amusing British dry humour

Quote:
A large cloud turned our washing machine-like experience even more real - the rinse setting was turned on. The heavens opened and it poured.
It's middle of the night there now (7 GMT Monday 18 Nov) - and the washing machine is tumbling along on a broad reach making 8.6 knots in 27 knots of sustained wind according to the ECMWF model
Old 18-11-2019, 00:30   #180

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Maybe this one? >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Regarding catamaran sailing performance and/or averages (upwind or close to the wind - with a sea state), here is a post from another thread that many of you may find interesting.

The Spirited 480 is a similar light performance catamaran design.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post3016854

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Here's a nice post written about the performance of a Spirited 480.

Upwind Catamaran Sailing onboard ROAM — Sail Surf ROAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSurfRoam.com
Passage making offshore, it’s the sea state you sail too, not the wind speed. In flat water powered up, ROAM does 9-12 knots SOG (speed over ground), hard on the wind.

Offshore forget it, launching out of rollers is no fun for people, the boat or anything in it. When we have up to 15 knots TWS ( true wind speed) it is a dream. With 15 – 20 knots TWS, you can typically only sail at 7-9 knots SOG.

As soon as the TWS approaches 20 knots, anything over 7 knots SOG is very unpleasant due to the sea state. Think a lot of water over the boat, big launches of the windward hull, leeward bow and resultant landings into the next wave. The hull slams on ROAM are relatively OK (relative to catamaran or monohull boats) but still no fun.
Closed Thread