Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 04:31   #211

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
With a little python online >> https://www.pythonanywhere.com/ >>that file updates itself at every 15 minutes past the hour every hour with the latest position. Pity there's no wind info posted at the same time. Might be able to get some forecast data from their lat/long & time.
All very interesting though
But not for my downloaded kml file right? That's static?

I'm not sure where you are extracting the data from, but Wind Speed, Wind Direction, and Pressure is also visible here when hovering over their position:

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...ingLaVagabonde

I also note that their Boat Speed is back up to 9.5kn on a more easterly course, so they must have solved whatever issues they had.
Old 19-11-2019, 04:47   #212
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
But not for my downloaded kml file right? That's static?
Yup, can't get onto your computer and put a file there

Means downloading & opening again in windy each time. Though on google earth you can right click on the folders tab and add network link - https://tinyurl.com/wo9ed3n
Then save to my places, ctrl 'r' refreshes to the latest saved data.

Thier data comes from a json file online here - https://forecast.predictwind.com/vod...Vagabonde.json

No wind data included, the mouse hover data comes from windy.
Old 19-11-2019, 04:49   #213

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here we go.. Speculation about...
But that is why the OP started the thread, to speculate about their crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Discussion of weather, routing, seamanship of La Vag's crossing - no politics or climate discussion pls.
Quote:
If they can post on Facebook I am pretty sure any boat related problems will appear pretty quickly...
No Facebook posts for around 18 hours. Very limited communication from the boat in general. Given the high profile around this voyage I would have thought that there would be more regular updates.

Quote:
...in the meantime I would say it'll be down to sea state and local conditions...
As was also noted as a possibility during the 'speculation'

Quote:
2m Swell from the West, and 1.5m Swell from the South East.

They are still going very slow (4kn boatspeed), so either have VERY confused seas, or maybe some problems onboard?

But since their speed is back up to 9.5kn now in any case it seems that all is well onboard again regardless of the reason for their slow down.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:06   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Yup, can't get onto your computer and put a file there

Means downloading & opening again in windy each time. Though on google earth you can right click on the folders tab and add network link - https://tinyurl.com/wo9ed3n
Then save to my places, ctrl 'r' refreshes to the latest saved data.

Thier data comes from a json file online here - https://forecast.predictwind.com/vod...Vagabonde.json

No wind data included, the mouse hover data comes from windy.
Thanks, I misunderstood your earlier suggestion about Python. I'll use the Google earth method, I'm familiar with it.

It's a pity that Windy can save the file, but not refresh it. Perhaps that will change in the future since those features are all still in development.

Old 19-11-2019, 05:10   #215

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
At 0700 GMT 19 November they're doing only 4.3 knots - maybe because they want that potentially nasty system down south to pass ahead of them.

You need to take instantaneous GPS based speed readings with a large grain of salt. That 4.3 kt was quite possibly taken just as they hit a big wave. .

That said, they've only made 54 NM in the last 11 hours, compared to 110 NM in the previous 12 hours. (as at 19 Nov 1300 UTC)
Old 19-11-2019, 05:23   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to take instantaneous GPS based speed readings with a large grain of salt. That 4.3 kt was quite possibly taken just as they hit a big wave. .

That said, they've only made 54 NM in the last 11 hours, compared to 110 NM in the previous 12 hours. (as at 19 Nov 1300 UTC)
Boat Speeds below 6kn were reported by La Vagabonde for almost 12 hours.

You can see this by using any of the methods or data provided by @conachair in recent posts.

And they seem to be back down to 6kn again for the last couple of hours too.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:50   #217

Boat: Outremer 4X

Quote:
No Facebook posts for around 18 hours. Very limited communication from the boat in general. Given the high profile around this voyage I would have thought that there would be more regular updates.
There is a post from Riley from 12h ago on instagram:

Quote:
riley.whitelum
Verified
Rough seas during the night with probably 50 knot gusts. We busted the furling line and made a quick fix but will re-run something when the seas calm. Fortunately we don’t need much sail out at the moment anyway.
These things will happen out here, what has given everyone onboard a lot of confidence is how well La Vaga handled in those conditions. Nothing quite like hand steering in 50+. Wonder and awe.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:57   #218

Boat: X442

There is quite a bit of wind ahead of them scheduled for Thursday morning. I am under the impression that they are holding back for a day or so to eventually follow that patch as it moves east, as opposed to be overtaken by it.

Having said this, I am following the journey to learn how a pro manages a crossing such as this, so what do I know.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:58   #219

Quote:
riley.whitelum
Verified
Rough seas during the night with probably 50 knot gusts. We busted the furling line and made a quick fix but will re-run something when the seas calm. Fortunately we don’t need much sail out at the moment anyway.
These things will happen out here, what has given everyone onboard a lot of confidence is how well La Vaga handled in those conditions. Nothing quite like hand steering in 50+. Wonder and awe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patg View Post
There is a post from Riley from 12h ago on instagram:
I don't follow them on Instagram, Thank you

So, there were "some problems onboard"...

I don't really understand why they just aren't using their normal La Vagabonde pages to post updates, but ok...
Old 19-11-2019, 06:11   #220

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Having said this, I am following the journey to learn how a pro manages a crossing such as this, so what do I know.
Exactly, I don't need or care for armchair coaching. I just want to learn from this. Unfortunately, we only get to see the models (on Windy or PredictWind), not the actual conditions. But it is an interesting exercise nevertheless.

Quote:
don't really understand why they just aren't using their normal La Vagabonde pages to post updates, but ok...
Because they have very limited bandwith, so they are using text and a lowres picture vs posting ... videos? Remember they are using an Iridium GO, not a fullblown sat connection. Iridium GO has a way to post to IG and FB with the low bandwith.
Old 19-11-2019, 06:38   #221
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
But that is why the OP started the thread, to speculate about their crossing

Agreed.. but more I think to learn how crossings can go and options on weather routing.

Not really.. build the tension, keep info minimal makes good sense for maximum attention on arrival and high demand for the videos when they are screened.

As was also noted as a possibility during the 'speculation'

I think I raised it.. which led to rig and hull stress being considered.

But since their speed is back up to 9.5kn now in any case it seems that all is well onboard again regardless of the reason for their slow down.

Which we now see was an an aberation taken from a flawed interpretation.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 19-11-2019, 06:43   #222

Quote:

Which we now see was an an aberation taken from a flawed interpretation.
You must have missed the post above where the boat problems were mentioned You are just trolling as usual.

Both of my speculations were correct actually.
They had both weather problems as well as boat problems.
Old 19-11-2019, 06:49   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Because they have very limited bandwith, so they are using text and a lowres picture vs posting ... videos? Remember they are using an Iridium GO, not a fullblown sat connection. Iridium GO has a way to post to IG and FB with the low bandwith.
I think you may have misunderstood me. Of course I didn't mean posting videos to YouTube.

I meant updating their Official La Vagabonde Web site and Facebook page, where most interested people would look first, instead of using Riley's personal Instagram?

His Instagram even says "Follow our Atlantic crossing LIVE here:
sailing-lavagabonde.com" but there are no updates there, only the tracker.

That's what didn't make sense to me.
Old 19-11-2019, 07:06   #224
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I meant updating their Official La Vagabonde Web site and Facebook page, where most interested people would look first, instead of using Riley's personal Instagram?

His Instagram even says "Follow our Atlantic crossing LIVE here:
sailing-lavagabonde.com" but there are no updates there, only the tracker.
Google says facebook have stopped 3rd party apps posting so no facebook entries from onboard, seems twitter & instagram are possible so no great surprise that's what we see.
Old 19-11-2019, 07:15   #225
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
You must have missed the post above where the boat problems were mentioned You are just trolling as usual.

Both of my speculations were correct actually.
They had both weather problems as well as boat problems.
Oh.. The broken furling line which as stated is not a problem at the moment.. not a major hassle at all and an easy fix.
Thanks for the Troll comment by the way.. standard defence tactic..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Closed Thread