Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 00:15   #271

Boat: Outremer 4X
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

A message from Elayna on instagram. Looks like morale is still good.

Quote:
elayna.carausu
Verified
Day 6. last night we had a huge lightening storm and we turned off all electrics and put our sat phones in the oven. Lol. we had a gust to 40 - 50 knots (but the crew couldn’t tell exactly... because we turned all electrics off and we’re hand steering). it got seriously windy though. it’s a bit like a washing machine out here to tell you the truth but we’re hooning and La Vagabonde is loving it. we’re all really comfortable and feeling great. everything’s salty and wet and we can’t get our clothes dry.. the bananas have ripened so we are going bananas on the bananas and also the bread. it’s banana, peanut butter and cinnamon sandwiches for breakfast today! #sailinglavagabonde
7h
Old 20-11-2019, 00:38   #272

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Nikki Henderson has just updated FB saying they had 25 to 30 knots overnight gusting 40 before a sudden calm and heavy rain.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...14803459966090
That's regular weather no? I had similar between Maderia and Islas Desertas then out heading further south, but with the waves on the beam. In such situations I just ran my stay sail. Speed was 5-6knts. It might be a bit rolley and it's not my idea of run but it's not really a weather event surely not in a cat their size.

Also has someone told them that their oven with the big glass door is not a faraday cage. Now if they had a microwave, they could put a few items in there and just continue to run the rest of their equipment as normal. If they get hit or lightning lands close it's not going to make much of a difference if the devices were on or off.
Old 20-11-2019, 01:29   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
...If they get hit or lightning lands close it's not going to make much of a difference if the devices were on or off.
I believe anything connected to N2K is likely gone.

However, some devices with better components, might have better chance of survival on the periphery especially if helped by not being powered up eg capacitors.

Or you might be right and it's just a false sense of security.
Old 20-11-2019, 03:14   #274

Tropical storm SEBASTIEN is still not forecasted to develop into a hurricane. Max forecasted winds are now 55 knots.
But the forecasters in Miami points to "significant differences" in the various models as to how the system will move in the coming days:

Quote:
The track guidance is in agreement on this overall scenario but there are some significant differences in how quickly Sebastien accelerates northeastward. The GFS, HWRF, and HMON show the storm recurving quickly ahead of the trough while the ECMWF is quite a bit slower. The NHC track is a little slower than the previous forecast, but remains close to the various consensus aids and the latest UKMET ensemble mean.
Old 20-11-2019, 03:22   #275

Nikki Henderson's latest update on Facebook.
They are preparing for some bad weather ahead.
She's been "popping up to the pointy stick" to check that everything is OK

Quote:
Day 7

It’s 5pm and just finished our game of Yatzy that we started the other night. Suspiciously Greta and Svante won - I’d say they have had some practice!

We have had a good day - a long day too. (Riley and I have found our most productive time of day seems to be between 2 and 6am.) Activity was mainly themed around fixing the few niggly bits onboard that have needed some attention - furling line, wind instruments, steering gear - and preparing for the weather ahead over the next few days the phrase ‘batten down the hatches’ so to speak.

Riley just concluded the jobs list - isn't it just the BEST feeling to cross off the to-do list?! - popped up to the top of the pointy stick (mast) to double check the rigging is OK. This is good practice after a big blow, and before one - so two birds with one stone. I’m happy to report we were successful on all counts, and everything is in good working order. This boat is one steadfast beauty!

Now for our news hour of the day where we read each other the headlines from home and stay in touch with all of you.
Old 20-11-2019, 03:41   #276

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Nikki Henderson's latest update on Facebook.
They are preparing for some bad weather ahead.
She's been "popping up to the pointy stick" to check that everything is OK

Going up the mast at sea takes some doing. Not sure I'd have the stomach to do it in all but an emergency situation. Seriously, how many people would do this between blows as a matter of course?
Old 20-11-2019, 03:49   #277
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Going up the mast at sea takes some doing. Not sure I'd have the stomach to do it in all but an emergency situation. Seriously, how many people would do this between blows as a matter of course?
i think you need to look at the photo and see if anything jumps out at you
Old 20-11-2019, 03:50   #278

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
That's regular weather no? I had similar between Maderia and Islas Desertas then out heading further south, but with the waves on the beam. In such situations I just ran my stay sail. Speed was 5-6knts. It might be a bit rolley and it's not my idea of run but it's not really a weather event surely not in a cat their size.

Also has someone told them that their oven with the big glass door is not a faraday cage. Now if they had a microwave, they could put a few items in there and just continue to run the rest of their equipment as normal. If they get hit or lightning lands close it's not going to make much of a difference if the devices were on or off.
^^ all of this. +1
Old 20-11-2019, 04:36   #279
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
In that case you should be in awe of Ellen Macarthur who did it in the Southern Ocean not once but I believe nine times while racing solo around the world.
This woman is awesome, and that is not doing her justice.. Respect.

https://youtu.be/ooIxHVXgLbc

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 20-11-2019, 04:48   #280

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In that case you should be in awe of Ellen Macarthur who did it in the Southern Ocean not once but I believe nine times while racing solo around the world.

https://youtu.be/ooIxHVXgLbc
A serious sailor indeed, not a YouTube T&A show that just happens to be staged on a sailboat.
Old 20-11-2019, 04:57   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dame Ellen MacArthur...much respect indeed.
Old 20-11-2019, 05:01   #282

Boat: Outremer 4X

Quote:
Yes, even if the sea state and wind are relatively moderate it's really tough. Did it once on an atlantic crossing to fix a broken halyard and it was a exhausting job.
The higher you climb the more movement you get. Maybe it's a bit less on a catamaran, but the mast height on an Outremer 45 is 20m (66ft)....
Old 20-11-2019, 05:10   #283

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Dame Ellen MacArthur...much respect indeed.
She is someone who has really earned her Knighthood (ok, Damehood).

France also recognised her achievements, appointing her a Knight (Chevalier) of the French Legion of Honour.
Old 20-11-2019, 05:25   #284

Ellen was truly awesome . . . . so was Isabelle . . . people who stretched and challenged themselves and grew to their full potential.

Also great for this crew to have checked their mast - it's not extraordinary for 'pro' level sailors, its just 'good seamanship', but it is challenging and stretching and growing for this crew, as this voyage is.

Back to routing . . .

On the model consistency . . . the bottom line atm is the differences will not significantly affect routing decisions. They are quite consistent enough for the next couple days, and then when they diverge they are far enough in front of the route to (hopefully) not affect the routing much.

picture . . . reasonable left/right consistency for first two rows (now and tomorrow) with significant divergence 3rd row (22nd mid-night)

Click image for larger version

Name:	euro now.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	203460

We will see . . . . it is a chaos system
Old 20-11-2019, 05:39   #285

as expected, they have been driving due east at a bit less than 5 kts.

Looking at routing details just now. It is a bit more involved than the past few days because it is time to start looking beyond this front and getting positioned for the next challenge.
Closed Thread