Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2019, 10:49   #376

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

just out of curiosity - low track would have to be (roughly) 25 degrees more northerly than currently predicted to holeshot the boat (on current routing)

Click image for larger version

Name:	angle.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	203509

Does not really mean much because there are so many assumptions, but I was just curious what the angular change would be.
Old 21-11-2019, 10:51   #377

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post

I thought it would be fast enough moving to not allow them to catch it, but their speed has been higher than I expected and I believe (although have not checked) the system movement seems a bit slower than expected. So they have been catching the front (edit - that could just be the boat position is updating but the front position is not between model runs - IDK how either predict wind or Windy handle their displays between model runs - static or extrapolate ?).
I think their position and the actual weather pattern on their website are not always in sync. Earlier today they seemed to be slap back in the middle of that front but 'plotting' their position on predictwind had them nicely trailing with room to spare.
Old 21-11-2019, 11:32   #378

As of predict at 18.50 gmt the westerlies are passing above them and still no closer to the stronger southerlies , looks like they might get on the end of that ,,,, but then what ? , looks pretty flat , does anyone have any idea of what might replace the high which seems to be the main force in the central / eastern atlantic just now
Old 21-11-2019, 11:42   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
any idea of what might replace the high which seems to be the main force in the central/eastern Atlantic just now
the eastern high will get pushed further east. The subtropical low will get pushed/dragged up to the west of that high - pushed by another high pushing in from the US.

Here is a pic of the expected situation on the 23, in the middle of all that pushing/shoving/dragging

Name:	23rd.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	203510

For La Vag, things are a little less complicated for a while - just dealing with the SW to NW to SW shifts as the series of lows pass over the top every couple of days. And hoping the subtropical low acts as predicted and does not do anything nasty.
Old 21-11-2019, 12:24   #380

thanks BW,, and then they could be cruising in a nice westerly up towards the Azores somewhere ?
Old 21-11-2019, 12:35   #381

Quote:
thanks BW,, and then they could be cruising in a nice westerly up towards the Azores somewhere ?
Yes, exactly, that’s the North Atlantic champagne sailing Nirvana - cruise along at around 35 degrees north, with the wind shifting back and forth between sw and nw as lows pass by above, 30 kts when a low goes directly above, 10 kts inbetween them.

It occasionally actually happens that way, but often something pops up which complicates the whole deal.
Old 21-11-2019, 12:39   #382

looks like they just shifted course to the NE - probably finally got the westerly shift.

Still 9 kts.

I am going to have to tune my polars back up a ways. I think we can conclude that the prior persistent swell forward was very detrimental to comfortable boat speed (more so than it would have been on a monohull).
Old 21-11-2019, 12:58   #383

Quote:
looks like they just shifted course to the NE - probably finally got the westerly shift.

Still 9 kts.

I am going to have to tune my polars back up a ways. I think we can conclude that the prior persistent swell forward was very detrimental to comfortable boat speed (more so than it would have been on a monohull).
trying to get some more push from the system which they are in before jumping onto the next one which might be a bit harder work,,, where do you get their course ???
Old 21-11-2019, 13:00   #384

ah yes,, just come up on predict
Old 21-11-2019, 13:01   #385
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

Still 9 kts.

looks like they are tucked into the VEE between all the pretty colours

https://www.windy.com/-Wind-accumula...5,5,i:pressure
Old 21-11-2019, 13:13   #386

be around 5 pm with them ,, nice 19 knt wind, downwind sailing , early evening, sun just going / gone down ,,, mmm all is good me thinks and deal with changes in the morn .. ( eberspacher on perhaps )
Old 21-11-2019, 13:14   #387

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I've read a few days worth in one go so this comment is a bit dated but going back to the furler. I have noticed in their videos that they sit forward on the tramp to furl rather than from back at the helm so maybe the route the line takes back to the helm is not the best and could be a reason the line failed ?

I'm enjoying the thread, thanks.
Old 21-11-2019, 13:16   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
looks like they are tucked into the VEE between all the pretty colours

https://www.windy.com/-Wind-accumula...5,5,i:pressure
lots of pretty colours,, but no position indicator , predict has got lots of nice colours as well , and their position and track , and details of all around
Old 21-11-2019, 13:24   #389
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
lots of pretty colours,, but no position indicator
they are just behind the vee,or open the predict wind in one tab and windy in another,change the scale move the map to correspond,wet finger and leave a dab of spit on your screen where they are,change tabs ,hey presto wet patch is their position......clean screen
Old 21-11-2019, 15:10   #390

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they are just behind the vee,or open the predict wind in one tab and windy in another,change the scale move the map to correspond,wet finger and leave a dab of spit on your screen where they are,change tabs ,hey presto wet patch is their position......clean screen
Or just right click in Windy and compare the coordinates displayed to the tracker coordinates, then start moving the mouse in the appropriate direction and keep right cllcking until you are close enough
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PlottingWindy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	203515  
Closed Thread