Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 03:25   #526

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Stil the middle of the night for them and winds have fallen considerably , but still showing 7 knots of speed in 12 knots of wind , I gues the sea state is somewhat smoother than previously . Looks like some period of relative calm ness for a while
Latest update at 1050 GMT showing boat speed SOG of 5,1 knots only. I calculated that their VMG (towards Lisbon) during the past 14 hours (from 2050 GMT last night 22 Nov) was 6,9 knots.
Straight rhumb line distance to go to Cascais roads at 1050 GMT is 1880 n.m.
600 n.m. further south Tropical Storm SEBASTIEN is fortunately on a steady ENE course towards the Azores, also fortunately with a much higher velocity than our friends in LA VAGABONDE
Old 23-11-2019, 03:30   #527

Quote:
as of 11 am gmt , prob around 5 ish with them , now headed due N,, prob seeking out a bit more wind
correction ,,, around 7 am,, sun about to come up , course 6deg
Old 23-11-2019, 03:59   #528

Quote:
fairly somber realistic atmosphere , look well geared up for the voyage
Yeah, somber and realistic it appears!
I also find it noteworthy that it is Eilayna who most frequently handles the helm and the throttles of the cat during docking and un-docking maneuvers.
This is in my view a clear sign of sound cooperation in that shipboard
I'm quite convinced, that not only when the going gets tough, Nikki and Riley are not the only valuable crew resources on LA VAGABONDE
Old 23-11-2019, 04:01   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Norway has committed to converting all of their ferries to electric propulsion. I don't know the time frame and what the impact of a recent fire on one of the ferries is but they are headed in that direction.

There is also a ferry running between Denmark and Sweden that is propelled entirely by battery power.
Would oil be close to Norway's biggest exports and still have a whaling industry or am I behind the times of this capitalist country.
Old 23-11-2019, 04:19   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Yeah, somber and realistic it appears!
I also find it noteworthy that it is Eilayna who most frequently handles the helm and the throttles of the cat during docking and un-docking maneuvers.
This is in my view a clear sign of sound cooperation in that shipboard
I'm quite convinced, that not only when the going gets tough, Nikki and Riley are not the only valuable crew resources on LA VAGABONDE
i noticed that myself ,, with the baby in its sling ( whatever it is called ) i thot that quite significant ,,,, i was going to mention it but i thot everyone would consider it trivia !!!
i see , ( as from 12 gmt ) they are now more easting , be daylight with them now
Old 23-11-2019, 04:22   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Would oil be close to Norway's biggest exports and still have a whaling industry or am I behind the times of this capitalist country.
Norway have secured a positive financial future with careful use of their oil revenues ,, something which few other countries have done ,,, regards whales ,, they may have , the bast***s .
Old 23-11-2019, 04:30   #532

routings - green was yesterday's and brown new update (black circles my penciled in personal suggestions from yesterday)

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=route.jpg Views: 166 Size: 412.3 KB ID: 203592" style="margin: 2px" />

They sailed more easterly (less northeasterly) than yesterday's routing suggested (you can see the boat icon well under the green routing line). They made 35nm more good to Lisbon than the routing but have sailed into lighter wind and are now going more slowly. They just turned to a NNE course to try to find more wind, I guess that turn happened when the latest model run came out (1hr 19 minutes ago ).

Its a bit of a tug of war - miles made good and staying low, or more wind and speed by going high. This is something the French racers have down to a very fine art. I would have gone a bit more north than they did last night.

same outlook as yesterday: small frontal passage on the 24th, which staying low will minimize, light winds in ridge between two lows on 25th, bigger frontal passage on the 26th which they basically cannot avoid - neither of these fronts is any sort of problem to handle.

ETA to Lison is still dec 6th.
Old 23-11-2019, 04:31   #533

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Whaling is trivial. Merely a way to show national independency to "fremlings". Fishing and fish farming are BIG..
Old 23-11-2019, 04:34   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Whaling is trivial. Merely a way to show national independency to "fremlings". Fishing and fish farming are BIG..
some serious issues regarding their fish farming, and secrecy ,, some reports it as the most toxic fish farmed anywhere in the world and proper investigations are not permitted.
Old 23-11-2019, 04:42   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
routings - green was yesterday's and brown new update (black circles my penciled in personal suggestions from yesterday)

Attachment 203592

They sailed more easterly (less northeasterly) than yesterday's routing suggested (you can see the boat icon well under the green routing line). They made 35nm more good to Lisbon than the routing but have sailed into lighter wind and are now going more slowly. They just turned to a NNE course to try to find more wind, I guess that turn happened when the latest model run came out (1hr 19 minutes ago ).

Its a bit of a tug of war - miles made good and staying low, or more wind and speed by going high. This is something the French racers have down to a very fine art.

ETA to Lison is still dec 6th.
That may also be local wind shift forced them to do but yes, they are a bit too south. Looks anyway they get more wind in the evening. There's high closing them sunday monday night and a bit more north would be better winds.
Old 23-11-2019, 04:45   #536

Quote:
some serious issues regarding their fish farming, and secrecy ,, some reports it as the most toxic fish farmed anywhere in the world and proper investigations are not permitted.
Dunno what's preventing anyone to investigate, just go and buy some farmed salmon. It's for sale everywhere. OT thou..
Old 23-11-2019, 04:51   #537

Boat: SeaDog 30

OK, let's talk about weather too Here are four forecast maps to give a feel for the uncertainty of models, especially when it comes to TS Sebastien.

The four model runs are all from the Predictwind website. In order: GFS, ECMWF, PWE and PWG. The green dot is the approximate location of the boat noon GMT Saturday. The forecast is for 48 hours out, noon GMT Monday. Barbs are 2deg by 2deg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SLV - GFS - 23 Nov + 48hr.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	203593   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLV - ECMWF - 23 Nov + 48hr.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	203594  

Name:	SLV - PWE - 23 Nov + 48hr.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	203595   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLV - PWG - 23 Nov + 48hr.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	203596  

Old 23-11-2019, 04:52   #538

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Seems that some member's posts are WAY off topic again...
Old 23-11-2019, 04:59   #539

does it seem that they will try to catch the bottom of that newfoundland low before it moves away again and then nxt day or so catch the bottom of that northerly high ?? maybe thats a plan
Old 23-11-2019, 05:07   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
OK, let's talk about weather too Here are four forecast maps to give a feel for the uncertainty of models, especially when it comes to TS Sebastien.

The four model runs are all from the Predictwind website. In order: GFS, ECMWF, PWE and PWG. The green dot is the approximate location of the boat noon GMT Saturday. The forecast is for 48 hours out, noon GMT Monday. Barbs are 2deg by 2deg.
The 'cone' (track uncertainty) for Sebastien is pretty small. It is being steered by strong high pressure, and we mostly know where it will go.

The unknown atm is when and how it will disappear - will it just melt away, or sit there for a while or fold into one of the northern lows.

Fortunately for this thread, the track is far enough away from the vessel routing to not cause immediate concern almost no matter how it fades away.

But these systems can do very odd and unforecast things . . . a comment I made upthread caused me to remember my experience with Hurricane Lenny, it tracked west to east in the tropics, which the forecasters every day said was basically impossible and that it would turn north shortly, and yet it never did just kept going 'the wrong way'.
Closed Thread