Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 12:21   #571

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Most modern autopilots integrated with a wind sensor can steer to a wind heading instead of magnetic. You set the wind angle and it just keeps it pointed that way. Great for dropping the mainsail, but becomes really important when sailing fast downwind.

Matt
sounds great ,, but what do you do when you want to run along the face of a wave , i cant imagine how it can do that ,, but i know little of such electrikery
!!,,,, sorry , again i digress ,,
Old 23-11-2019, 12:31   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
yes, exactly, that's what is usually used. When running set it to say 140 degrees TWA and let it go

When upwind set it to AWA, perhaps 30 and again away you go.

You do ofc need to watch that you don't have persistent winds shifts and are sailing the wrong way.
thats alright ,, i seem to spend half my life going round in circles anyway !!
Old 23-11-2019, 13:00   #573

help ,,,, on predictwind what is the current page ,,is it PWG,, PWE , ECMWF or GFS,,, because they are all a bit different ,, ? is it yesterday , today , tomorrow or what .. maybe not easy answere , i can see the different symbols etc but the weather systems are in different places , that is what is confusing me
Old 23-11-2019, 14:10   #574

big change , now ESE ,, guess they are far enough north to get the bottom of the Labrador low and that might get them enough easting to get onto that northern low
Old 23-11-2019, 14:30   #575

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
help ,,,, on predictwind what is the current page ,,is it PWG,, PWE , ECMWF or GFS,,, because they are all a bit different ,, ? is it yesterday , today , tomorrow or what .. maybe not easy answere , i can see the different symbols etc but the weather systems are in different places , that is what is confusing me
They are different models. Different predictions of what will happen in the future.
Old 23-11-2019, 14:34   #576

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Are you are referring to the predictwind display with the boat's position on the SLV website? There is a white "layers" button in the top right corner. That opens up a menu where you can select the model and the forecast display. There is no time slider, so it is likely to be "now" or at least "today".
Old 23-11-2019, 14:36   #577

Quote:
big change , now ESE ,, guess they are far enough north to get the bottom of the Labrador low and that might get them enough easting to get onto that northern low
well, in my last routing they were scheduled for a wind shift and to turn east 35 minutes ago

hopefully, the wind shift will continue around and they will soon be able to go due east. They don't want to put much southing in.

next weather model update is in a hour and 40 minutes.
Old 23-11-2019, 14:38   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
They are different models. Different predictions of what will happen in the future.
thank you ,, but which one is the present
Old 23-11-2019, 14:42   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
well, in my last routing they were scheduled for a wind shift and to turn east 35 minutes ago

hopefully, the wind shift will continue around and they will soon be able to go due east. They don't want to put much southing in.

next weather model update is in a hour and 40 minutes.
predict seem to be quite regular , 10 minutes before the hour
Old 23-11-2019, 14:47   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
Are you are referring to the predictwind display with the boat's position on the SLV website? There is a white "layers" button in the top right corner. That opens up a menu where you can select the model and the forecast display. There is no time slider, so it is likely to be "now" or at least "today".
it is a predict , but i dont know if it from SLV , it is from a link that " atoll " put up a few days ago ,, there is no menu on the right but one on the left which puts up 4 options , some times quite different some times ( as now ) very similar ,, i just want to now which one is the present ,, i have another site which i also use and can usually work between them to get the one on predict , but it is a hassle ,,,thank you
Old 23-11-2019, 14:54   #581

GFS updates every 6 hours 06:15,12:15,18:15,00:15

ECMWF 0.1° updates every 12h 07:15 and 19:15

the two predict wind 'value-added models' PWG and PWE are based off the GFS and ECMWF output and according to predict wind site "Each forecast (PWG, PWE, GFS & ECMWF) is updated twice a day, every 12 hours." so they apparently miss two of the gfs updates.
Old 23-11-2019, 14:55   #582

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
sounds great ,, but what do you do when you want to run along the face of a wave , i cant imagine how it can do that ,, but i know little of such electrikery
My understanding is that more sophisticated APs use the paddle wheel sensor to detect unusual increases in STW when running downwind and then turn the helm to steer down a wave at an angle. Sounds rather incredible I know, but when you think about it how else could Vendee Globe racers (for e.g.) leave the helm during frequent periods of big following seas in the S. ocean?
Old 23-11-2019, 14:55   #583

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I agree. Once you decide to have a child, good parents forfeit the right to make decisions purely selfishly, which is why the three of us are, and will always be, child free....we would not wish to give up the ability to live as we please in all ways just for a kid, so no kid. Easy decision.

I am a vocal spokesperson of doing as you please in life according to the sentiment: Enjoy yourself and be kind. But this implies agency, something an infant does NOT have. As long as it is consensual adults, knock yourselves out, literally if you must. Taking a child into a fairly uncertain situation is not good seamanship, or parenting. They should absolutely have left the kid with the grandparents and done the sail.
You don't think the child also has the right to be with, and experience the life it's parents enjoy.
Old 23-11-2019, 14:59   #584

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
predict seem to be quite regular , 10 minutes before the hour
Their tracker is set to send update hourly.

They initially were reporting a couple of minutes after each hour (the result of exactly when they initially turned it on).

Then after they turned off all of their electronics during a period of heavy lightning it changed to 10 minutes before the hour. (So they turned it on at HH:50)
Old 23-11-2019, 15:01   #585

Boat: Outremer 4X

Quote:
Actually modern autopilots like the b&g h5000 also have the ability to
use data from motion sensors which measure roll and pitch. Using this sensors the pilot 'feels' the waves and combined with the wind sensor
it is able to steer the boat even in rough and confused seas...
Closed Thread