Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 08:03   #46

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
People seem to forget about hull stresses for some reason with cats..
I mean this as an honest question and not a snarky remark (just in case it reads that way). But could you elaborate on this a bit and what has to be compensated/looked out for in regards to Catamarans?
Old 16-11-2019, 08:08   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post

If you know, what is the LWL/WLL on their boat?
It is 48' LOA (according to mfg), I have assumed 45' LWL (per a boat specs database)
Old 16-11-2019, 08:13   #48

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I am curious though, what is the interest in the weather for this crossing opposed to say Uma's crossing a while back, or Delos going east to west?
What Breaking Waves said for some, but probably 'Greta Onboard' for most.
Old 16-11-2019, 08:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
It is 48' LOA (according to mfg), I have assumed 45' LWL (per a boat specs database)
Thanks. So approx. 9.5 kts. (theoretical) max hull speed for a displacement monohull. Well above that for LAV's cat even loaded down (according to your polars).
Old 16-11-2019, 08:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
'Greta Onboard'.
I have the suspicion that G is going to be seasick for quite a bit of this passage. I hope she can adapt, and enjoy some of it, but it is going to be bumpy.

it's straightforward routing until the 21's when they have some meaningful wind and a jybe decision. and then on the 23rd with another manouver. But essentially it is go ENE at best speed until the 26th, and then ESE heading toward the barn.

with current polar the full routing is going past my 16-day grib, perhaps to dec 4 - but if they don't get over 7.5kts here in the next day or so I will need to tune the polar back even further.
Old 16-11-2019, 08:36   #51

Quote:
I have the suspicion that G is going to be seasick for quite a bit of this passage. I hope she can adapt, and enjoy some of it, but it is going to be bumpy.

it's straightforward routing until the 21's when they have some meaningful wind and a jybe decision. and then on the 23rd with another manouver. But essentially it is go ENE at best speed until the 26th, and then ESE heading toward the barn.

with current polar the full routing is going past my 16-day grib, perhaps to dec 4 - but if they don't get over 7.5kts here in the next day or so I will need to tune the polar back even further.

and then on the 23rd they have another manouver to make.
Did she have trouble with seasickness on the way out? Maybe easier conditions but I can't imagine those planing monohull race boats are any picnic. I don't have any significant sea time on cats, but friends who do talk about a completely different type of motion that makes some who do fine on mono's very uncomfortable, and definitely vice-versa. It doesn't look to me like this particular crossing, especially at this time of year, would be easy on any boat.

Thanks for making the thread that much more interesting & educational with your calculations & estimates.
Old 16-11-2019, 08:41   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

there is a possible fly in the ointment,which is the developing hurricane just north of the antillies.
this might require a stop in bermuda untill it passes,if further development is expected.

https://www.windy.com/?2019-11-21-09,21.146,-54.976,5
Old 16-11-2019, 08:54   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is a possible fly in the ointment,which is the developing hurricane just north of the antillies.
this might require a stop in bermuda untill it passes,if further development is expected.
yea, that has been showing up on all the routings. Initially, I was thinking they would be going fast enough to essentially be in front of it and miss the worst (just getting a small gale) - but now they look to be getting thru it with 40kts sustained in the latest one, and if they continue slow(er) . . . . It will be interesting how they handle it. Could just essentially park, and let it go in front. If they stop in Bermuda I guess they miss the conference they are aiming for - which ofc would be better than caught in a severe storm.

Overall, one thing I am interested is in how they handle their routing. They made their first tack pretty much exactly as suggested by the optimized routing. But from here they have a choice to continue on the 'fastest' route, or to go for 'easier/slower' path. I'm not sure which I would pick, because slower does create exposure issues.
Old 16-11-2019, 09:22   #54

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I guess it will be pretty wet and cold on the way, maybe Greta will change her mind and appreciate finally the global warming when freezed for a while on board...
Old 16-11-2019, 09:36   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
yea, that has been showing up on all the routings. Initially, I was thinking they would be going fast enough to essentially be in front of it and miss the worst (just getting a small gale) - but now they look to be getting thru it with 40kts sustained in the latest one, and if they continue slow(er) . . . . It will be interesting how they handle it. Could just essentially park, and let it go in front. If they stop in Bermuda I guess they miss the conference they are aiming for - which ofc would be better than caught in a severe storm.

Overall, one thing I am interested is in how they handle their routing. They made their first tack pretty much exactly as suggested by the optimized routing. But from here they have a choice to continue on the 'fastest' route, or to go for 'easier/slower' path. I'm not sure which I would pick, because slower does create exposure issues.
formation of the depression into a hurricane seems unlikely,but it is expected to join up with the coastal low that they are currently experinceing,and move it further to the east,which will prolong the gale force winds in their area .

there is also a large influx of warm damp air from the pacific which might promote the further formation and augmentation of the 2 lows .

it will be interesting to see how this develops as weather models from the various agencies are all showing different synopses.

as to which route they will take i would think that will depend on how much of a pounding the boat is currently taking and how much damage needs attention currently.

noticeable is the lack of instagram or twitter posts,which is unusual for them,so i would guess activity on board is pretty limited to essential activities other than eat ,sleep,rinse and repeat
Old 16-11-2019, 09:44   #56
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I guess it will be pretty wet and cold on the way, maybe Greta will change her mind and appreciate finally the global warming when freezed for a while on board...
just can't restrain yourself from stirring eh?
Old 16-11-2019, 09:54   #57

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Don't feed th... so we stay better on the subject.
Old 16-11-2019, 10:11   #58

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Looks perfectly find for them no? 1.8m waves and winds in the 20s gusting over 30 but calming down after Monday. They are by Bermuda so well away from those nasty deep dark purple zones

Blogging equipment? I've probably got more than they have and it would be less than 15kg in weight easily.

I am curious though, what is the interest in the weather for this crossing opposed to say Uma's crossing a while back, or Delos going east to west?

I think because "Delos" as a standard is a meaningless and trivial topic for all but a narrow set of people. "Greta" has become symbolic of growing popular concern for environmental issues. People are interested in how rough the ride will be.
Old 16-11-2019, 10:26   #59

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Nope.

It is quite irresponsible from the Vaga crew to do the trip with a baby under this conditions, just to bring this brat to Europe. She could have used any other safe transportation.
Old 16-11-2019, 10:46   #60

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Nope.

It is quite irresponsible from the Vaga crew to do the trip with a baby under this conditions, just to bring this brat to Europe. She could have used any other safe transportation.

They believe in freedom.
Closed Thread