Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 01:43   #601

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

seems they are getting some mileage from the tail of the Newfoundland low which might just push them into the bottom of the next low and maybe just maybe the TS which was a threat before might just help sweep them round the top of the Azores , but as the man ( BW ) says boat speed is not great and that TS is travelling faster than them so they may miss that alltogether , which could be safe but not so fast .

meanwhile i am going to watch the vid on the Norweigan salmon .
Old 24-11-2019, 02:21   #602

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
well technically speaking this thread is not about " Gretas mission ", wheras the thread diversion is much closer to the issues of " Gretas mission " ,, this thread is about Greats voyage ,, i am fine with that .
The forum software really needs the ability to "fork" a thread (much like github) so that tangential subjects can branch off on their own.
Old 24-11-2019, 03:03   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The forum software really needs the ability to "fork" a thread (much like github) so that tangential subjects can branch off on their own.
Are you suggesting that there are "tangential" properties between Norwegian salmon and LA VAGABONDE's crossing?
Old 24-11-2019, 03:13   #604

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

https://cdn.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:37.7/zoom:7
No name on the target but reckon not many pleasure vessels around..
Old 24-11-2019, 03:13   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Dunno what's preventing anyone to investigate, just go and buy some farmed salmon. It's for sale everywhere. OT thou..
i seriously suggest that you ( and everybody else on this forum with any interest in our marine environment ) go watch the posted video , after which such levels of ignorance will no longer be excusable .

( apologies for any perceived tangentalisim )
Old 24-11-2019, 03:21   #606

Quote:
seems they are getting some mileage from the tail of the Newfoundland low which might just push them into the bottom of the next low and maybe just maybe the TS which was a threat before might just help sweep them round the top of the Azores , but as the man ( BW ) says boat speed is not great and that TS is travelling faster than them so they may miss that alltogether , which could be safe but not so fast .
Obviously a good morning on board LA VAGABONDE
Our friends are enjoying a boat speed of 9.3 knots, heading ENE on a port tack broad reach in 22 Knots of wind. (at 1050 GMT Sunday 24 Nov)

As we can see, the NW'erly wind field they are sailing in, is influenced both by the large low over Newfoundland, and by the Tropical Storm SEBASTIEN much closer ESE of them.

The NHC in Miami still hasn't downgraded TS SEBASTIEN from a tropical cyclone - but it will for sure be undergoing an extratropical transition today Sunday. Thereafter it will eventually merge with a large weather system SW of Ireland and UK, and bring "gusty winds and heavy rains to portions of western Europe within the next few days", the forecasters predict.
For our friends on board LA VAGABONDE however, TS SEBASTIEN is now only an advantage as the cyclone accelerates ahead of them towards the Azores.

The VMG (on a straight rhumb line towards Lisbon) during the last 24 hours (since 1150 GMT yesterday 23 Nov) was 5,9 knots only. Distance to go to Lisbon (also on a straight rhumb line) is 1739 nautical miles.
Old 24-11-2019, 03:27   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
https://cdn.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:37.7/zoom:7
No name on the target but reckon not many pleasure vessels around..
that is excellent find , ( surprised no one thot of that before ) , does it auto update ? .. nice to see there a re a few vessels around ( 50 miles or so ) in the event of any misshaps .
Old 24-11-2019, 03:34   #608

As indicated in my last posting: They're obviously enjoying themselves on board LA VAGABONDE
Nikki Henderson just updated her Facebook, it appears that they have been dancing
They are (naturally!) also well aware of the traffic in the vicinity
Quote:
Day 12

The day started with no wind. Riley and I worried we had ended up too far south. So we spent a few hours creeping north - to much avail - awaiting us by 1000am was 15-20 knots from the south west and we have been sailing in it ever since! We flew the spinnaker all day, and have had a jib and main all night in various different reef set-ups. With a front approaching and the excitement of the last few days not far from our mind - we are being extra cautious of those ‘big black clouds’ on the horizon ...

What a difference a day can make. If we were are all flowers - today we bloomed. Music played - we did our laundry - danced a little - not to mention some stunning sailing - we did some exercise (the Swedes are particularly good at keeping up the routine in this department!) - we all freshened up with a quick shower, shave and so on - and had two great meals with our (amazingly) still crisp lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and so on for lunch and a stellar gnocchi and vegetable dinner made by Elayna. Riley and I caught up on some much needed shut-eye with our longest naps of the trip. I think we made 5 hours each?! All in all - perhaps a typical Saturday at sea?

One thing we have all noticed is the traffic. Can you believe in this wide expanse of ocean that we have sailed within visual distance of four cargo ships and a fishing boat in the last day? So I guess you would call it a busy traffic day too ... it’s sort of nice to have the company - in a way - to know we aren’t the only ones out here - but also strange, to feel like our little private bubble isn’t as private as we thought!

(Photos - the difference a day makes! Credit to Elayna for capturing the splash.)

Old 24-11-2019, 03:35   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
Our friends are enjoying a boat speed of 9.3 knots, heading ENE on a port tack broad reach in 22 Knots of wind. (at 1050 GMT Sunday 24 Nov)

As we can see, the NW'erly wind field they are sailing in, is influenced both by the large low over Newfoundland, and by the Tropical Storm SEBASTIEN much closer ESE of them.

The NHC in Miami still hasn't downgraded TS SEBASTIEN from a tropical cyclone - but it will for sure be undergoing an extratropical transition today Sunday. Thereafter it will eventually merge with a large weather system SW of Ireland and UK, and bring "gusty winds and heavy rains to portions of western Europe within the next few days", the forecasters predict.
For our friends on board LA VAGABONDE however, TS SEBASTIEN is now only an advantage as the cyclone accelerates ahead of them towards the Azores.

The VMG (on a straight rhumb line towards Lisbon) during the last 24 hours (since 1150 GMT yesterday 23 Nov) was 5,9 knots only. Distance to go to Lisbon (also on a straight rhumb line) is 1739 nautical miles.
yes all seems good with them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can you tell me ( i am assuming the predict page shown here is the current one ) which page is that ,PWG. PWE , ECMWF or CFS ,, i cant figure which one is which , ty
Old 24-11-2019, 03:44   #610

Quote:
yes all seems good with them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can you tell me ( i am assuming the predict page shown here is the current one ) which page is that ,PWG. PWE , ECMWF or CFS ,, i cant figure which one is which , ty
That's ECMWF. Click on the "paper pile" icon to the right of the "SATELLITE" button in the upper left hand corner, and you can change between the models.
On the predictwind web site, of course, not on the screenshot I posted
Old 24-11-2019, 03:51   #611

Quote:
That's ECMWF. Click on the "paper pile" icon to the right of the "SATELLITE" button in the upper left hand corner, and you can change between the models.
On the predictwind web site, of course, not on the screenshot I posted
got that TV ,, thank you very much ,,, and for the photo and extract ,,, although maybe not so good to show these young careless irresponsible daredevils having such an easy time ,, and OMG,,look , no saftey line !!
Old 24-11-2019, 03:52   #612

Also Greta Thunberg is enjoying life
Quote from her last Facebook update:
Quote:
Day 11. Nearly halfway and enjoying life in the middle of the North Atlantic with @NikkiHenderson

Not unsurprisingly, the "tangential" diversions here in this thread, is nothing compared with what can be found among the thousands(!) of comments on her postings...
Old 24-11-2019, 04:03   #613

great T V ..

now,, where would they want to be on wed 27th ,, 38 or 42 N ??
Old 24-11-2019, 04:04   #614

Quote:
Also Greta Thunberg is enjoying life
Quote from her last Facebook update:

Not unsurprisingly, the "tangential" diversions here in this thread, is nothing compared with what can be found among the thousands(!) of comments on her postings...
judging by your little emojos ( i think that is what they are called ) i suspect that some of the comments are the same as they are on various other forums ,,, i really dont get with all the hatred .
Old 24-11-2019, 04:17   #615
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

TS sebastian making it all the way across the Atlantic as a deep low, only goes to reinforce what a stupid idea it is to cross the atlantic during hurricane season.

given they now have 1.8million subscribers ,i can see a large increase in wannabee vagabonders taking to the high seas,with little or no experince in unseaworthy vessels in the next year or so.

my nomination for this years darwin award for" unintended consequences"
goes to them
Closed Thread