Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 04:20   #616
Poa

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

You are - once again - off topic.
Old 24-11-2019, 04:21   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
TS sebastian making it all the way across the atlantic as a deep low, only goes to reinforce what a stupid idea it is to cross the atlantic during hurricane season.
i hope the child abusers make this very clear in any future youtube videos they make.

given they now have 1.8million subscribers ,i can see a large increase in wannabee vagabonders taking to the high seas,with little or no experince in unseaworthy vessels in the next year or so.

the death toll will be exponential,although coincedentaly they might be accidentally helping to save the planet by reducing population .

my nomination for this years darwin award for" unintended consequences"
goes to them
OMG,, are you still at it !! we have all decided ( on the request of the OP ) to agree to disagree and not respond to the sissie and denialist troll brigade , although i believe the new polite word for them is transtangentalists !!
Old 24-11-2019, 04:54   #618
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
OMG,, are you still at it !! we have all decided ( on the request of the OP ) to agree to disagree and not respond to the sissie and denialist troll brigade , although i believe the new polite word for them is transtangentalists !!
apologies to all the sycophantic transgenderists
i thought thread bump and weather were valid reasons to move this along
Old 24-11-2019, 05:23   #619

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
TS sebastian making it all the way across the atlantic as a deep low, only goes to reinforce what a stupid idea it is to cross the atlantic during hurricane season.
..snip
Speaking about stupid ideas and taking a look at western Med week ahead (2/12->)
Prudent to say anyone sailing the MED being stupid and a Darwin award canditate? I'd rather sail the Atlantic
Old 24-11-2019, 05:24   #620

Elayna updated the Sailing La Vagabonde Facbook. Complaining about no wind. Obviously somewhat delayed, as they have been making good progress during the last hours (Boat speed now 9.1 knots on a ENE heading)
Quote:
37°42’N 49°05’W. Another blurry picture from the sat phone. Soaking up the suns rays whilst putting Lenny to bed. We’re without wind today! So it’s looking like a chill day relaxing in the cockpit. Need to catch up on some exercise.
That’s been a challenge on this trip, we’ve been holding on with all four limbs pretty much since we left 😂. I hope you’ve been enjoying playing catch up on our weekly vlogs in the meantime. It was hilarious trying to prepare and upload them whilst we were preparing for this crossing. It’s funny but I’m a million times less stressed being out here, than I was the week leading up to our departure. So many jobs to do.. will I do them all? Will I forget something? Now that we’re out here it’s all about the sailing, weather, cooking, cleaning and staying happy (and still hoping I didn’t forget anything.. lol). 🤞🏽🧡#sailinglavagabonde #northatlantic
Old 24-11-2019, 05:26   #621

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
well technically speaking this thread is not about " Gretas mission ", wheras the thread diversion is much closer to the issues of " Gretas mission " ,, this thread is about Greats voyage ,, i am fine with that .
When someone with a little objectivity explains to young Ms. Thunberg that PV solar is neither green nor renewable PLEASE be sure there is video! *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The forum software really needs the ability to "fork" a thread (much like github) so that tangential subjects can branch off on their own.
It is interesting. phpBB has supported forking and merging for nearly two decades. vBulletin has had the capability on the requested features list nearly as long but obviously didn't pick it up.

It does take some discipline - a moderator/administrator can really snarl up a forum with too heavy a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
They are (naturally!) also well aware of the traffic in the vicinity
Five contacts in a single day is a bit unusual but regular traffic is common. This makes the "big sky" approach taken by some singlehanders arguably foolhardy. It's apparent that whatever else anyone may think of La Vagabonde's decision making they do keep a good watch.

I passed a big Jeanneau (50?) on one trip. We watched them from first sighting, called them on the radio, blasted a horn - nothing. No sign of life. Sails were well trimmed and the boat was clean. We passed within 100 meters on parallel but opposite courses. Nothing. Apparently "big sky" people.

Quote:
i hope the child abusers make this very clear in any future youtube videos they make.
From a seamanship point of view it's worth noting that hurricane season is a statistical agglomeration (we are out of "hurricane season" now) that butts right up against winter weather. If we only crossed the Atlantic "safely" that pretty much leaves April and May.

I'd have to check my notes to be sure but I think I've crossed major bits of the Atlantic in just about every month.

The lesson in this respect that I suggest from La Vagabonde's voyage is to have a good way to get weather information on board and the wherewithal to interpret it.

I recommend Reeds Maritime Meteorology (https://www.amazon.com/Reeds-Maritim.../dp/B00E5I0MSI) and synoptic charts (I still like weather fax, but you can get the same charts over a satellite connection with enough data budget). See https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/A_brief.php

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with getting advice from off board but ultimately the decision lies with the skipper and the skipper (or someone aboard) should be informed and educated. On my first Atlantic crossing while I was still gaining confidence in my weather skills for most of the crossing I had weather fax from NOAA out of Boston, from UK Met out of Northwood, part way from DWE out of Hamburg, and GFS gribs. I spent at least an hour a day organizing the material, pouring over it, comparing by organization (NOAA v UK Met), comparing by source (synoptic v grib), and comparing over time (yesterdays 48 with todays 24). Then I'd talk to Herb Hilgenberg and compare his advice with my own thoughts.

Herb shares the characteristic of great conservatism with his successors such as Chris Parker and Jenifer Clark. I had to remind him every day that I was looking for 15-20 kts and would happily risk 25 gusting up to avoid 5.

I do not see any irresponsibility in crossing the Atlantic at any time of year. I do see irresponsibility in launching such an endeavor without the infrastructure and capability to support onboard weather forecasting to educate navigation.

As for loaded terms like "child abuse" I suggest that driving children to school or day care is likely riskier than the voyage of La Vagabonde. If there is child abuse of any kind it is failing to focus on Ms. Thunberg's education. Is there home-schooling built into her travel schedule? There are limits to the contribution of direct experience to learning. You don't learn calculus or even algebra that way.

It could be worse
Old 24-11-2019, 05:39   #622

regarding Gretas education, you may want to check on her considerable achievments and qualifications already gained,, she has plenty of time to return to education which she has expressed an interest in , for the mean time she is a bit busy else where ,,,,,,,,,
apologies , again , for any perceived transtangentering
Old 24-11-2019, 05:48   #623
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
regarding Gretas education, you may want to check on her considerable achievments and qualifications already gained,, she has plenty of time to return to education which she has expressed an interest in , for the mean time she is a bit busy else where ,,,,,,,,,
good news is they are now,or will be soon within the range of the rescue services if they need airlifting off the cat.
lots of migrating whales in the area around the azores at this time of year,it would not end well hitting one at 10 knots with the boards down.

Old 24-11-2019, 05:57   #624

Quote:
seems they are getting some mileage from the tail of the Newfoundland low which might just push them into the bottom of the next low and maybe just maybe the TS which was a threat before might just help sweep them round the top of the Azores , but as the man ( BW ) says boat speed is not great and that TS is travelling faster than them so they may miss that alltogether , which could be safe but not so fast .

meanwhile i am going to watch the vid on the Norweigan salmon .
that Northern low has now long gone which might have left a calm patch but they might now just get the tail of the TS after all , is seems to be moving quite quick ,, 30 mph i believe
Old 24-11-2019, 06:09   #625

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I've seen her speak. I'm not impressed. She speaks well but her content is deficient. She speak's often of science without any understanding of what that means. Standing up in front of a bunch of people is not an achievement and certainly not a qualification.

This goes directly to the issue of seamanship. We have all seen sailors on various fora, including CF, and unfortunately on the water who parrot something they have been told or read without understanding. These are cut and paste sailors.

Some are parroting credible source but for want of understanding apply what they have read inappropriately. Some are unable to discern credibility and are simply repeating something silly that was said loudly. Volume does not equate to science.
Old 24-11-2019, 06:21   #626

you are not impressed by a 15yr old getting to address the UN,,, well i guess someone somewhere was .,,
and what do you think about the weather , not impressed by that either ?
Old 24-11-2019, 06:24   #627

Quote:
you are not impressed by a 15yr old getting to address the UN,,, well i guess someone somewhere was .,,
and what do you think about the weather , not impressed by that either ?
but what do you think about geoengineering and weather manipulation?
Old 24-11-2019, 06:35   #628

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I've seen her speak. I'm not impressed. She speaks well but her content is deficient. She speak's often of science without any understanding of what that means. Standing up in front of a bunch of people is not an achievement and certainly not a qualification.

This goes directly to the issue of seamanship. We have all seen sailors on various fora, including CF, and unfortunately on the water who parrot something they have been told or read without understanding. These are cut and paste sailors.

Some are parroting credible source but for want of understanding apply what they have read inappropriately. Some are unable to discern credibility and are simply repeating something silly that was said loudly. Volume does not equate to science.
When someone uses science and consensus, where all sciensts agree to something etc. in the same sentence, he disqualifies himself immediately.

Science is not about consensus but about questioning and challenging the consensus.

Fridays for future would be meaningful if this kids go fridays to school and actually learn something for the future instead of marching on the streets and parroting paroles of some greenees not even knowing what the green in the plants is good for and how photosynthesis works.
Old 24-11-2019, 06:37   #629
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagic View Post
but what do you think about geoengineering and weather manipulation?
Irrelevant on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Discussion of weather, routing, seamanship of La Vag's crossing - no politics or climate discussion pls.
Old 24-11-2019, 06:42   #630

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Five contacts in a single day is a bit unusual but regular traffic is common. This makes the "big sky" approach taken by some singlehanders arguably foolhardy. It's apparent that whatever else anyone may think of La Vagabonde's decision making they do keep a good watch.

On the way from Bermuda to Azores in May we started overtaking a bunch or OCC boats on the same route. We did manage to hail one on VHF and set up an improptu SSB net. It came in handy because near the Azroes local winds and current get flaky...local reports helped get a better idea of which way to dodge.

Also crossed several large commercial vessels.

The oceans are big, but they are a LOT more crowded these days.
Closed Thread