Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 06:59   #706

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
interesting routing decision. Weather pattern mostly the same as previously but offers a more stark choice.

Three route options. The most northern is the fastest average speed, with the most southern a close second.
Yes. I have for several days noticed the anticipated SW'erly flow of air between or south of the Azores in the week to come - and also the build up of no-wind High ridges further north.
It will be very interesting to follow which choice they opt for. Apparently, they are very pleased with fresh wind broad reaching conditions closer to the lows in the north - ref Nikki Henderson's latest posting.
Old 25-11-2019, 07:07   #707

Thanks again to T V for extracts ( for those of us who do not do FB or Twitter etc ) ,, the dinner does indeed sound delicious , and suitably healthy choice
Old 25-11-2019, 07:12   #708

Only one thin BW , I don’t think they have boat speed to be too adventurous and are sticking with safer options .
Old 25-11-2019, 07:14   #709

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Can anyone unpack the thinking behind these guys weather routing? Are they staying to the south of a certain line to insure lows pass north of them? 500mb?
Old 25-11-2019, 07:21   #710

Latest update from Greta Thunberg's Facebook.
Very short - and completely free from any political implications:

Quote:
Day 12. This is home for a few weeks.
Old 25-11-2019, 07:26   #711

guess she is doing the navigating !!
Old 25-11-2019, 07:29   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
It will be very interesting to follow which choice they opt for.
One comment from a follower of LA VAGABONDE's Facebook posted this interesting suggestion in the Windy application:
https://www.windy.com/distance/boat/...6,5,i:pressure
Old 25-11-2019, 07:48   #713

My thots exactly , I hope it turn out that way , that looks like today’s system chart , what will that look like in 5 /6 /7 days time ? , I have my own site but not as good as windy / predict ,, and by time they get past Azores there is a period of quiet , why I suggested a “ rest “ day
Old 25-11-2019, 08:23   #714

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
At 1143 GMT today Monday 25 Nov, our friends on LA VAGABONDE have achieved an admirable 9.0 knots average Velocity Made Good during the last 25 hours (since 1050 GMT yesterday Sunday).
This is calculated along a straight Rhumb Line directly to Cascais, Lisbon: DTG yesterday was 1738 n.m., today it is 1515 n.m.
Average SOG has been even slightly higher, as they have been following a more N'erly course than the direct line towards Lisbon.
Do you (we) know Cascais is their destination? Won't average SOG always be equal to or higher than average VMG?
Old 25-11-2019, 08:38   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Do you (we) know Cascais is their destination? Won't average SOG always be equal to or higher than average VMG?
I don’t expect they will be too bothered where they land so long as there is a train station or at least a road out of it !!
Old 25-11-2019, 08:58   #716

Quote:
I believe that I read in one of their postings that they were heading for Lisbon. Cascais is my presumption: There's a marina there, and a train connection to Lisbon, from where there is train to Madrid. But of course, maybe they choose to venture up the Rio Tejo to the city center.

Quote:
Won't average SOG always be equal to or higher than average VMG?
Yes, that's correct.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:11   #717

New posting from Elayna.
Confirming that they definitively are heading for Portugal.
Celebrating halfway - and informing about good speed.
Highest boat speed so far, 22.8 knots

Quote:
⛵️📡Yesterday was a 200nm day and today is half way day (in distance, not in time)! We’re about to celebrate with cookies amongst other things 🍪🥃 all is well out here. The past two days has been nothing but lovely sailing conditions. Downwind, with consistent 20-25 knots of wind. The sea state is a bit choppy but we’re averaging 10 knots boat speed right now so zipping over half of it. Top speed of 22.8 for this trip! Not La Vagabondes record but it’s right up there.. I remember the first time we surfed going from France to Corsica back in 2017 when we first got our new boat, and I thought we were going to die hahaha but now I have a need for speed... the humming sound she makes at 18 knots is really quite beautiful. I really can’t wait to experience Portugal. It’s a place neither Riley or I have sailed before. Wooo! We’re getting there guys. #sailinglavagabonde #halfwayday #atlanticcrossing Greta Thunberg
Old 25-11-2019, 09:26   #718

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Can the admins please take down that outrageous piece of political propaganda that Exile posted above. Thank you.
The voice-over was Alan Jones, one of the most toxic media personalities here in Australia. He's famous for his ranting monologues, character assassinations and cash for comment scandals.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:54   #719

Looks like a little less N in the last update
Old 25-11-2019, 09:58   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
I have a firm belief that the whales do not like red bottom paint. Most of the boats I’ve been on had either black, which they seem to like, or blue. I was coming down the California coast with my new to me Boat, which had red bottom paint, and I had a whale chasing me full speed. It confirmed my belief, changed to black as soon as I got to Mexico! I hope somebody chimes in and agrees.

Greg
"They identified it as a false killer whale. The net controller asked what colour their hull was, as a crewmember suggested that whales attack boats with red bottoms. Interestingly, they had just repainted their bottom red"

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...ncounter-61269

Closed Thread