Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 08:11   #781

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...But for tax reasons I need to avoid spending any extended time in the U.S...
I know that you are not joking but that still seems like one of the best excuses ever to disappear down island (or 'up island' in your case!) for extended periods...

"I didn't really want to but the IRS made me do it".

Brilliant
Old 26-11-2019, 08:21   #782

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I know that you are not joking but that still seems like one of the best excuses ever to disappear down island (or 'up island' in your case!) for extended periods...

"I didn't really want to but the IRS made me do it".

Brilliant
Way off topic:

It's why we can't head back to the US either.... and there would be a big difference between Dockheads tax bill and mine

Did you know that days at sea in international waters count against your time for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion? It's crazy that the US still taxes you in in international waters.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/us-ci...ional-airspace

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 09:15   #783

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbiep View Post
....I've created an interactive app that is far more detailed than the officlal tracker. ... You can view it at https://www.oceanshepherd.co.uk/

Let me know what you think of it...
I like it.

One of the things that stands out to me is how fast their average speed has been (average SOG 7.3kts!) and how much extra distance they have sailed (I think primarily to avoid the worst weather and find the best wind). To date they've sailed an extra +400nm, not insignificant even when occasionally sailing 200nm/day.
Old 26-11-2019, 09:21   #784

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Maybe the “ Atoll “ person has been around the world a few times but that does not give him a “ bye “ to insult and denegrade people without proper reason , understand of information , round the world a few times but he has a lot to learn about common decency , preaching to apart from
Exile and one or two others , a very small minority of people on here , what is his problem , is he jealous that he has been r t w three times and nobody knows who he is apart from a forum grouping whereas Vagy is very popular worldwide , man up “‘ atoll “ , if you want to know the full explanation of the sea mileage then go ask them !! there are more important things in life than having sailing round the world !!!
Pointing out inconsistencies in celebrity stories is a highly valued contribution, let it be about on-topic sailing (miles covered, days spent on preparation, etc), or off-topic climate (not to be discussed here).
Old 26-11-2019, 09:37   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
Pointing out inconsistencies in celebrity stories is a highly valued contribution, let it be about on-topic sailing (miles covered, days spent on preparation, etc), or off-topic climate (not to be discussed here).
As yet “perceived” inconsistencies which he has not had the decency to check first hand , apart from that a general derisory attitude with endless doom and gloom attitude to almost everything he can hang his coat on , none of which have materialised , he must be a bit dispondent by now , perhaps I should have added your name to his little club
Old 26-11-2019, 10:11   #786

Boat: Delphia 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbiep View Post
As a lot of people are following this voyage in near real time, I've created an interactive app that is far more detailed than the officlal tracker. I'm new to social media and blogging - but I created a blog to host the app. You can view it at https://www.oceanshepherd.co.uk/
As someone knee deep in a Power BI embedded rollout for a SaaS shop - this made me smile!

Thanks for putting it together.
Old 26-11-2019, 10:14   #787
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
I agree they’re likely counting the miles for each of them separately, much as many crews say things like “combined 99 years of sailing experience...”. That comes up to about 45,000 nm just in the passages. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to figure that in 8 years they could accumulate another 36,000 (combined) in side trips. That’s only moving the boat 187 miles per month on average. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
NEWS FLASH!!

Royal Cruising Club............https://www.rcc.org.uk/Awards.aspx they have agreed that indeed 36,000 nm sailed in the yacht tender/dinghy over 4 years is quite an achievement!

They are now creating an award for them for services to yachting which Robin Knox johnson and Dame Helen Macarthur will be presenting on their arrival in lisbon!

The are also creating a smaller award for little Lenny for "Most miles sailed as a foetus in 2018 "

a spokesman for the RYA,said "this is a great step forward for yachting as now candidates for their RYA Yachtmasters exam will be able to use the logged mileage on trips to the pub and shopping in the dinghy, towards their qualifying 5000nm passages for the Yachtmaster ocean qualification"
Old 26-11-2019, 10:58   #788
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
NEWS FLASH!!

Royal Cruising Club............https://www.rcc.org.uk/Awards.aspx they have agreed that indeed 36,000 nm sailed in the yacht tender/dinghy over 4 years is quite an achievement!

They are now creating an award for them for services to yachting which Robin Knox johnson and Dame Helen Macarthur will be presenting on their arrival in lisbon!

The are also creating a smaller award for little Lenny for "Most miles sailed as a foetus in 2018 "

a spokesman for the RYA,said "this is a great step forward for yachting as now candidates for their RYA Yachtmasters exam will be able to use the logged mileage on trips to the pub and shopping in the dinghy, towards their qualifying 5000nm passages for the Yachtmaster ocean qualification"

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 26-11-2019, 11:16   #789

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
NEWS FLASH!!

...candidates for their RYA Yachtmasters exam will be able to use the logged mileage on trips to the pub and shopping in the dinghy...
If that's the case I must have about 8 million miles logged, although given the nature of the 'trips' it is of course possible that some of them may have been lost or forgotten...
Old 26-11-2019, 11:35   #790

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
NEWS FLASH!!

I’m sorry you don’t feel that miles sailed exploring local areas should count, and only blue water passage making miles are in any way valid toward a sum of miles travelled. Also sorry to hear that anyone who doesn’t see the world as you do is a lying, child abusing snowflake.

Can you please leave this thread to the productive discussion of the routing, weather, and seamanship of this passage, and not dilute it with your name calling and other off topic statements?
Old 26-11-2019, 11:45   #791
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
Can you please leave this thread to the productive discussion of the routing, weather, and seamanship of this passage, and not dilute it with your name calling and other off topic statements?

Old 26-11-2019, 12:38   #792

hmmm, not sure but they may be trying to get to the southern routing option. course 116.6.

edit:
or perhaps not - course now 71.5

not sure what that course bobble was about
Old 26-11-2019, 12:54   #793

i can see as of 21.00 GMT that they are pointing down a little but with only one days wind left i doubt that they can make much mileage ,, looks like a calm spell , maybe even 2 days , just have to stay on rum line and hope fro the best,, have a rest , tho i dont think they really need one ,,, time to get the oars out me thinks
Old 26-11-2019, 13:05   #794

Boat: Outremer 50S

Atoll, as a catamaran sailor you should understand that you have the maths all wrong. They are sailing 2 boats! So you have to have 2 people (+ baby) x 2 boats x miles to get to the correct value.

But you should be happy, back on November 13 their website claimed 90325 miles, so as they cross the Atlantic the total is going down.
Old 26-11-2019, 13:06   #795

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
If that's the case I must have about 8 million miles logged, although given the nature of the 'trips' it is of course possible that some of them may have been lost or forgotten...
And the ones that weren't 'lost' are probably best 'forgotten'!
Closed Thread