Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 17:34   #826
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
To paraphrase .....

Whether they have sold 30,000 miles or 100,000 miles they have been a success.

Keep things in context. They are selling a dream and people are buying. Good for them.

No, All the YouTube BS to the side, they have accomplished much more at a much younger age than 99% of the sailors out there. Ad on the fact they’re able to make a living doing it. Kudos.
Old 26-11-2019, 17:36   #827
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
What's with the slights about "middle aged" people? Is there a way to find out how old posters are on CF? Do we care? Do you not like people who are older than you? Or is it a dislike for people younger than you? Confused why you think age is relevant here.

Do you know that the two principals actually own the Catamaran? Only if it's public knowledge, of course. I frankly lost interest in their videos after they took leave of their first boat so don't know if they've volunteered info about the relationship (and don't much care). I always figured they had more of a lease-type arrangement with Outremer in exchange for all the publicity, mostly from the YouTube channel I gather. Nothing wrong with that, but this is the first I've heard that they are actual owners. Doesn't matter . . . only curious.
Lol. That guy is just a Troll.

He/it enjoys being an idiot so...

Ignoring the Troll is always the best option.
Old 26-11-2019, 17:45   #828

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's night time under way NOT on watch.

According to her posts , she and Riley are the only two doing night watches, initially 2 on, 2 off and lately 3 on and 3 off. She is definitely talking about doing those activities while on night watch.
Old 26-11-2019, 17:46   #829
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
No, All the YouTube BS to the side, they have accomplished much more at a much younger age than 99% of the sailors out there. Ad on the fact they’re able to make a living doing it. Kudos.
i actually agree with you on those points,but why lie and try to deceive people,when the 23,000 miles that they have actually sailed is an achievement worthy of respect without embellishment
Old 26-11-2019, 17:53   #830

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
Lol. That guy is just a Troll.

He/it enjoys being an idiot so...

Ignoring the Troll is always the best option.
If you're referring to Terje Vigen (who I was responding to) then no, he's (she's?) definitely not a troll (and certainly not an idiot) but one of several contributing here who has brought us quite interesting & educational info about LV's weather routing, etc. Probably just annoyed over the sidetracks, but I don't understand why "middle-aged" is a stereotype worth raising.
Old 26-11-2019, 18:30   #831

Quote:
What's with the slights about "middle aged" people? Is there a way to find out how old posters are on CF? Do we care?
I used the term "middle aged" because I presumed that the negative comments towards the crew members came from posters that were much older than them. I based this presumption on circumstantial evidence, among other the number of postings, the number of miles sailed, etc. But you're right; I cannot know for sure.

Quote:
Do you know that the two principals actually own the Catamaran?
I stand corrected once more: I don't know whether the boat is leased, or whether they have a loan on it.
Old 26-11-2019, 18:37   #832

Riley just updated their Facebook with a selfie and an interesting shot of their chart plotter:

Quote:
1200nm to go! Seriously tired, but we’re getting there. #sailinglavagabonde #northatlantic

Old 26-11-2019, 18:38   #833

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post

I stand corrected once more: I don't know whether the boat is leased, or whether they have a loan on it.
They've said before that it was discounted from Outremer. Regardless, they are in the category of over a million a year from their videos (speculation is closer to 2 million with sponsorships). So financed or not, they can afford it.

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 18:46   #834

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
They've said before that it was discounted from Outremer. Regardless, they are in the category of well over a million a year from their videos (speculation is closer to 2 million with sponsorships). So financed or not, they can afford it.

Matt
People get jealous when they see these guys. She’s hot, he’s hot, they have an obscene catamaran given to them. Embrace your jealousy and sit with it man. You know both these people have spent a lot of time with their heads stuck in engine compartments just like the rest of us. In many ways cruising is the great equalizer. No one looks great at 3am having just barfed over the the side. lol

That said you wouldn’t catch me crossing the north atlantic with my baby in november ever. In that regard i agree with my man atoll.
Old 26-11-2019, 18:51   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
People get jealous when they see these guys. She’s hot, he’s hot, they have an obscene catamaran given to them. Embrace your jealousy and sit with it man. You know both these people have spent a lot of time with their heads stuck in engine compartments just like the rest of us. In many ways cruising is the great equalizer. No one looks great at 3am having just barfed over the the side. lol

That said you wouldn’t catch me crossing the north atlantic with my baby in november ever. In that regard i agree with my man atoll.
But that's the point... the catamaran wasn't given to them. They've paid for a healthy part of it. The implication seems to be that they couldn't possibly afford something so nice. And I just don't think many understand the income level they are at... it is staggering!

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 19:07   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
They've said before that it was discounted from Outremer. Regardless, they are in the category of over a million a year from their videos (speculation is closer to 2 million with sponsorships). So financed or not, they can afford it.

Matt
Wow! Big numbers. Great that they've been so successful, although I must confess finding their earlier vids on their old Bene more enjoyable. That is, dealing with the challenges of an older boat as relative newbies. Or maybe because it was more impromptu/less polished. But that's just me.
Old 26-11-2019, 19:13   #837
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
According to her posts , she and Riley are the only two doing night watches, initially 2 on, 2 off and lately 3 on and 3 off. She is definitely talking about doing those activities while on night watch.

Either way it’s Social media, they are selling a product, it’s not real, none of any of that stuff is.
Surely you don’t think “reality” shows are real either?
https://www.boredpanda.com/instagram...mpaign=organic
Old 26-11-2019, 19:15   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
I used the term "middle aged" because I presumed that the negative comments towards the crew members came from posters that were much older than them. I based this presumption on circumstantial evidence, among other the number of postings, the number of miles sailed, etc. But you're right; I cannot know for sure.
My main point, actually, was why the age of the posters mattered? I don't think I've read comments critiquing any of the crews' relative youth. Maybe Riley/Elayna's experience level, but certainly not Nikki who apparently is 26.
Old 26-11-2019, 19:41   #839
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Surely from all you have read it’s the old people that have “ruined” the world, you know, “Boomers”
Old 26-11-2019, 20:05   #840

Quote:
Wow! Big numbers. Great that they've been so successful, although I must confess finding their earlier vids on their old Bene more enjoyable. That is, dealing with the challenges of an older boat as relative newbies. Or maybe because it was more impromptu/less polished. But that's just me.
I don't think you're even on the radar any more. They've been moving towards a less cruiser aspirational (main youtube audience), and more focusing on the reality/lifestyle demographic. And surprise, surprise, it's been hugely successful.

The numbers they are seeing aren't coming from sailors. And they probably aren't people that would ever want to cruise. They've exited the niche sailing market and are now courting viewers that like to watch glamorous and pretty people doing pretty things in exotic places... a (hopefully) less drama filled Kardashians.

The old blog Sailing Taru was similarly successful with this market, but just not to the stratospheric level La Vaga is seeing. Their new direction is perfect to continue the growth.

Selfishly, I love it since it drives an audience that would never think of clicking on a cruising video to maybe trickle on down to us. I'll happily take the scraps if they want to watch older, basic folks on old boats

Matt