Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 05:24   #1261

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

They had to work hard till the last moment:
Old 03-12-2019, 05:59   #1262

Boat: Hanse 531

With Outremer's commentary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	204276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	204277  

Old 03-12-2019, 06:20   #1263

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz473 View Post
They had to work hard till the last moment:
Even a outremar with dagger boards has dificulties tacking to the wind in rough seas...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34   #1264
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Even a outremar with dagger boards has dificulties tacking to the wind in rough seas...

I don’t think the seas were rough, but I’m guessing they were going for the best VMG. From what I saw the winds were light.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:37   #1265
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don’t think the seas were rough, but I’m guessing they were going for the best VMG. From what I saw the winds were light.
They were damn near flat.. 1/2 metre if that..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38   #1266
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

[emoji1303]
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47   #1267

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think they had a foul tide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 03-12-2019, 06:55   #1268
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
they were tacking into a falling tide,so probably 2-3 knots of current against them coming down the river.
high water was at 8am.

if they had timed their arrival for after low water at 2pm the current would have carried them up to the marina with just a couple of tacks.

seems like they still have a bit more to learn,they have probably no experince with tidal waters apart from briefly in the str of gibraltar and panama over the 23,000 miles that they have already sailed
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29   #1269

Quote:
Why don't you read a whole post..
Which part of ITS FOR PUBLICITY I posted did not enter your consciousness..
That is what its all about.. but your fragile little ego is getting into a strop about imagined slights.
You and others can kiss the ground and point your arses to the air all you want.. I will stick with the reality, its a bog standard nothing special no big deal Transat.
People were walking this Climate/Pollution path when Greta was an egg being assaulted by a sperm but it was not fashionable back then.. check it out.
Read.. ABSORB.. then comment.
I missed the part where you finally agreed that it was no ordinary transat but a major coupe publicity wise , still better late than never , I guess you took my advice and read Nikki post and s l o w l y absorbed
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31   #1270

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
A cat will happily launch itself off a 0.5m wave though.

Looks like a lot of effort, should have just motored in, put their feet up and lit up a pipe.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:39   #1271

Boat: PDQ 41

Motoring would probably defeat the purpose of the trip. It does, however bring up an interesting question: Can SLV continue to sail a plastic boat with traditional power? Should they shift to a wood boat? Cold molded? Carbon fiber? Should they sail like the Pardeys, engine free? Should they have electric power? Luckily there should be enough green coming in to finance some interesting improvements.
Best,
Maldwin
Old 03-12-2019, 07:56   #1272

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Love that the wealthy can afford to purchase the "right" to pollute.
As Gord said.. probably a waste of time trying to convince others of one's point of view, so I am not trying .. but for the record.. that is the whole point of carbon offsets btw. The wealthy are some of the worst carbon emitters.. that's how the wealthy got wealthy .. industry.. remember?

Carbon offsets are an (imperfect) attempt to "close" the feedback loop in earth's economy. The economic machine spews CO2 as a byproduct of its operation, but this doesn't have a cost. Or rather, the real cost is not borne by the producer directly. This is the gist of the whole problem actually. If the real cost of dumping CO2 into the atmosphere had to be paid directly by the dumper, well.. it would close the feedback loop and things would regulate themselves. A great idea but probably unlikely to really work, for the same reason your point of view is that it is a scam and you'd be a sucker to pay it. It relies on nothing but people's understanding of the reason and honesty and their sense of fairness... it is like whoever thought this up had never ever met a human being.So probably some geeky scientist

BTW I am not trying to convince anyone of anything.. you can believe what you want to believe. It is irrelevant. In the end reality is what it will be and trying to argue against it is laughable and silly. The only thing I believe in is that humans are too self serving and selfish to sacrifice their personal short term standard of life in favor of long term well being of the whole. So folks will rationalize why they don't "believe" in whatever it is they don't want to believe cause well.. it is inconvenient.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:11   #1273
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
I missed the part where you finally agreed that it was no ordinary transat but a major coupe publicity wise , still better late than never , I guess you took my advice and read Nikki post and s l o w l y absorbed
Still not reading nor absorbing but..
Whatever.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:12   #1274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
As Gord said.. probably a waste of time trying to convince others of one's point of view, so I am not trying .. but for the record.. that is the whole point of carbon offsets btw. The wealthy are some of the worst carbon emitters.. that's how the wealthy got wealthy .. industry.. remember?

Carbon offsets are an (imperfect) attempt to "close" the feedback loop in earth's economy. The economic machine spews CO2 as a byproduct of its operation, but this doesn't have a cost. Or rather, the real cost is not borne by the producer directly. This is the gist of the whole problem actually. If the real cost of dumping CO2 into the atmosphere had to be paid directly by the dumper, well.. it would close the feedback loop and things would regulate themselves. A great idea but probably unlikely to really work, for the same reason your point of view is that it is a scam and you'd be a sucker to pay it. It relies on nothing but people's understanding of the reason and honesty and their sense of fairness... it is like whoever thought this up had never ever met a human being.So probably some geeky scientist

BTW I am not trying to convince anyone of anything.. you can believe what you want to believe. It is irrelevant. In the end reality is what it will be and trying to argue against it is laughable and silly. The only thing I believe in is that humans are too self serving and selfish to sacrifice their personal short term standard of life in favor of long term well being of the whole. So folks will rationalize why they don't "believe" in whatever it is they don't want to believe cause well.. it is inconvenient.
you explain carbon offsets very well.....were do i go to get my cash rebate for all the CO2 that i have not created during a life of sail?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:20   #1275
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
A cat will happily launch itself off a 0.5m wave though.

Looks like a lot of effort, should have just motored in, put their feet up and lit up a pipe.
A hobie maybe but I've yet to see even a 8m Catalac launch itself off 19" of water let alone something at least 3 times its weight.. dry..
They just cut straight through from what I saw filmed from the rib which only bounced when in their wake while they were still in the bay.
Had to maintain the 'Low Carbon' image for the media.. couldn't have Greta doing one over the pollution in the river.

Closed Thread