Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 14:52   #1321

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sure you can,... they are called "professionals"
LoL.... Circle complete![emoji6]
Touché
Old 03-12-2019, 14:57   #1322
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Hartings, I think you and others are reading far too much into this whole "real sailor/professional" thing.

Some of us are just having some fun with pigeon holes and in my case, as I have no children, my aging skin is inconsequential when it comes to climate change. [emoji4]
Old 03-12-2019, 14:57   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
the (new) suggestion that you cant be a ‘true’ sailor unless you have done it since you were a kid (and presumably are now a grumpy, old reactionary white man ?).
actually, I believe you will find that pretty much everyone here, with all their various opinions, thinks the best sailor on board was a (relatively) young woman.
Old 03-12-2019, 14:58   #1324

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Hi Hartings, I think you and others are reading far too much into this whole "real sailor/professional" thing.

Some of us are just having some fun with pigeon holes and in my case, as I have no children, my aging skin is inconsequential. [emoji4]

Hi Pelagic - maybe you are right, I hope so
Old 03-12-2019, 15:02   #1325
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
actually, I believe you will find that pretty much everyone here, with all their various opinions, thinks the best sailor on board was a (relatively) young woman.
Greta was a passenger, so was Leny, but admittedly both fine shipmates.[emoji106]
Old 03-12-2019, 15:02   #1326

Quote:
the (new) suggestion that you cant be a ‘true’ sailor unless you have done it since you were a kid (and presumably are now a grumpy, old reactionary white man ?).

For Riley and Elayna, I belive most here also agree . . . . that this voyage was outside their comfort zone and prior experience. There is a strong disagreement on whether it was a hmmm prudent thing for them to do or not.

G and her father don't seem to have taken much part in the sailing. I'm honestly a little surprised that G did not (apparently) take (or learn to take) watches, but perhaps she is seasickness prone.
Old 03-12-2019, 15:03   #1327

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Delete ‘on board was’ and replace with ‘here is’ and you may be on to something !
Old 03-12-2019, 15:04   #1328

Quote:
Greta was a passenger, so was Leny, but admittedly both fine shipmates.[emoji106]
ofc . . . I was referring to Nikki.
Old 03-12-2019, 15:05   #1329

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i will humbly apologise if they publically donate the hundreds of thousands of dollars they make from this trip to a worthy charity
Looks like politics is still alive and well on this thread. It's a pity that most of the hot air is emanating from a handful of died in the wool contrarians.
Old 03-12-2019, 15:08   #1330

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Some of us are just having some fun with pigeon holes and in my case, as I have no children, my aging skin is inconsequential when it comes to climate change.
A case we share. The movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind.

Quote:
Certainly my opinion. Ms. Henderson is someone I would gladly sail with, or buy a drink for.
Old 03-12-2019, 15:21   #1331

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I have been lurking here reading what has proven to be a very enlightening thread. What I don’t really understand though is why there is this drip, drip, drip of rather snide denigration of the voyage, the participants and the message that Greta wants to get across. This snideness is very subtle as its done via innuendo and veiled criticisms (which are subsequently denied). Now best encapsulated by the (new) suggestion that you cant be a ‘true’ sailor unless you have done it since you were a kid (and presumably are now a grumpy, old reactionary white man ?). What a load of sanctimonious claptrap. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Before this thread I was relatively unsympathetic towards Greta and her agenda but the small cohort here who seek to undermine the whole enterprise in this somewhat mendacious fashion are actually making me rethink my reservations. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but I really do find it rather disturbing. Sermon over.

It's called jealousy.
Old 03-12-2019, 15:48   #1332

Quote:
Delete ‘on board was’ and replace with ‘here is’ and you may be on to something !
except for the picky linguistic point that she is not "here" . . . . I have no problem with that.

There is a very small handful of posters here who have experience and skillsets in her ballpark and (I believe) all of them have indicated respect for what she accomplished. It was a well-executed voyage, which was, as I mentioned above, outside the comfort zone and experience base of all but one on board. That is not a dis on anyone - I expect they would all agree, it's just very objectively how it was at the start of this voyage.
Old 03-12-2019, 16:01   #1333

Quote:
I have been lurking... a grumpy, old reactionary white man...What a load of sanctimonious claptrap. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
You, sir, have brought a good laugh to end this thread. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2019, 16:17   #1334

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
You, sir, have brought a good laugh to end this thread. Thank you.
I'm relieved that someone else picked up on all the ironies & contradictions (right words?) in Hartings' post.
Old 03-12-2019, 16:21   #1335

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
except for the picky linguistic point that she is not "here" . . . . I have no problem with that.

There is a very small handful of posters here who have experience and skillsets in her ballpark and (I believe) all of them have indicated respect for what she accomplished. It was a well-executed voyage, which was, as I mentioned above, outside the comfort zone and experience base of all but one on board. That is not a dis on anyone - I expect they would all agree, it's just very objectively how it was at the start of this voyage.
I don't recall any controversy over this assessment.
Closed Thread