Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 05:43   #121

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

I have not really been following the details of the 'conference' they are trying to make . . . anyone know what port/harbor would be the best place for them to make landfall, and what is the latest date they can make landfall and still get to the end of the conference?
Old 17-11-2019, 05:47   #122

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

It is in Spain (Madrid as far as I know) So I guess and Portuguese or Spanish port they can reach safely will do.
Than hop on a train (which I do think is acceptable to her) to get to the precise location.
Old 17-11-2019, 05:53   #123

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
I have not really been following the details of the 'conference' they are trying to make . . . anyone know what port/harbor would be the best place for them to make landfall, and what is the latest date they can make landfall and still get to the end of the conference?
Me neither but what comes to place I think any harbour from Cadiz to Coruna makes pretty much the same distance to Madrid and except the smallest fishing villages have deasent public transports further..
Old 17-11-2019, 05:58   #124

am guessing they still plan to sail by Bermuda (but don't need to make a final decision yet), and that they have intentionally reduced speed to give the potential low on the 20/21st some extra room (and get everyone rested up and get everything on the boat back in top shape)

Click image for larger version

Name:	la vag.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	203238
Old 17-11-2019, 06:04   #125
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Me neither but what comes to place I think any harbour from Cadiz to Coruna makes pretty much the same distance to Madrid and except the smallest fishing villages have deasent public transports further..
Lisbon would be their best option.. closest port with a train to Madrid.. depart Lisbon around 9pm, sleeper cabin and arrive Madrid 8,30am the next morning.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 17-11-2019, 06:07   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
It is in Spain (Madrid as far as I know) So I guess and Portuguese or Spanish port they can reach safely will do.
Than hop on a train (which I do think is acceptable to her) to get to the precise location.

Surely if I understand the agenda, any form of public transport is acceptable.
I would assume the idea is to display that a reduction in fossil fuel use is possible, I doubt they are trying to say it can be completely eliminated. Even living as a hermit in the Great white North has a footprint.
Old 17-11-2019, 06:18   #127
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I thought we were going to abstain from pro-or-con political commentary? Does the site management here actually promote denial?

Personal sacrifices will not have any significant impact.

Governmental level solutions, coordinated internationally are required, and massive publicity campaigns are required to overcome the corporate power lined up to keep fossil fuels the status quo.

If it takes a somewhat higher footprint to get the publicity ramped up that's totally justified.

Sure flying in private jets is obscene, but that's obscene for everyone that does it.

Demanding "carbon purity" of campaigners, is just opposition FUD tactics.
Old 17-11-2019, 06:20   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lisbon would be their best option.. closest port with a train to Madrid.. depart Lisbon around 9pm, sleeper cabin and arrive Madrid 8,30am the next morning.
yes, and that looks like it could be entered in almost any weather, and decent repair facilities, because they will probably have broken some stuff - sounds like a plan. . Looks like they will be ok arriving up to say dec 10th - so 24 days which should be plenty (assuming no Bermuda stop).

pls just ignore and don't respond to non-sailing comments here in this thread - let's keep this to sailing/routing PLEASE there are other threads to discuss that stuff to your heart's content. I know this is hard, but be strong
Old 17-11-2019, 06:27   #129

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Train from Santiago de Compostella (next to La Coruna) 5 hours. Or Sevilla (next to Cadiz) 3 hours. Every morning and evening..
Old 17-11-2019, 06:49   #130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Train from Santiago de Compostella (next to La Coruna) 5 hours. Or Sevilla (next to Cadiz) 3 hours. Every morning and evening..
La Coruna means heading further N against predominantly N winds and a S going current (15-25nm/24hrs)..
Cadiz would add at least 1 or even 2 days to the trip..
IMHO Lisbon is their best option.. but, I am not the skipper or decision maker..
At 120km 'next to' is a stretch re Cadiz-Seville.
Vigo would be better than A Coruna.. 5hrs 37mins.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 17-11-2019, 06:56   #131

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I have enjoyed following the routing discussion. It is very instructive as I challenge myself to improve my own weather and routing skills.

All of us who have been out there are familiar with actual weather different than forecast. The question I find myself asking is what would I do if i was captain in that situation? What clues would I use to inform my decision process? Weather routing is a great tool, and it has been good to follow the routing conversation in this thread. Let me ask for the experienced here to keep adding commentary regarding the early clues from the onboard experience that the weather is developing different than the forecast, and the resulting impact on routing options and decision points.

It is great to follow LAV and Greta, but I would be also glad to have similar discussion for other boats and voyages each in their own thread.
Old 17-11-2019, 06:59   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
The 25th United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP-25) will be arranged in Madrid on 2-13 December
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_U...nge_Conference
Old 17-11-2019, 06:59   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
La Coruna means heading further N against predominantly N winds and a S going current (15-25nm/24hrs)..
Cadiz would add at least 1 or even 2 days to the trip..
IMHO Lisbon is their best option.. but, I am not the skipper or decision maker..
i would think cascais or lagos as a landfall.
cascais they could even sail into the bay and anchor in reasonable protection without even starting the engines!
Old 17-11-2019, 06:59   #134

just looking a bit at bigger picture routing, and speed decisions.

Friday there is forecast to be a high-pressure break developing. It would be useful to keep up enough speed to be on the north side of that break. Otherwise, they will end up in very light air and either essentially be parks for a while or need to motor.

so, I would be aiming to get up to somewhere along this black line.

Name:	bigger picture.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	203239

which the 'optimal' routing ofc accomplishes, including with the way tuned down polar. But they can't be too conservative or they will miss this breakpoint (not the end of the world, but hate to extend exposure if not needed).

(this is Friday morning gfs weather pic with black X for routed boat position, above is euro picture)

Name:	routing.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	203240
Old 17-11-2019, 07:06   #135

They posted images on their Facebook "stories" yesterday:

Closed Thread