Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 18:26   #1336

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Here's an article on her arrival: https://time.com/5743092/greta-thunb...climate-talks/

She states: “I am not traveling like this because I want everyone to do so,” said Thunberg. “I’m doing this to sort of send the message that it is impossible to live sustainable today, and that needs to change. It needs to become much easier.”
Old 03-12-2019, 19:26   #1337

+1 to that
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
People seem to forget about hull stresses for some reason with cats..
Old 03-12-2019, 20:46   #1338
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
ofc . . . I was referring to Nikki.
Ahhhh....got it.....no doubt!
Old 03-12-2019, 21:02   #1339

Boat: Westerly 43

I would be tempted to start a thread on the expected future impact of climate change on cruising, including likely changes to cruising routes, seasons, forecasting, insurance, popular destinations etc etc. However, I'm sure it would be quickly hijacked by the small number of posters here who, for reasons only known to them, disagree with the science.
Old 03-12-2019, 21:02   #1340

Boat: Herreshoff 36

News in the morning, ABC Darwin:

'Greta has arrived to Lisbon on a solar powered yacht...'

And that's how you believe to the media.
Old 03-12-2019, 21:22   #1341

Sloppy reporting unless they were acknowledging that the sun drives all weather on earth....
Old 03-12-2019, 21:46   #1342

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
I would be tempted to start a thread on the expected future impact of climate change on cruising, including likely changes to cruising routes, seasons, forecasting, insurance, popular destinations etc etc. However, I'm sure it would be quickly hijacked by the small number of posters here who, for reasons only known to them, disagree with the science.
It's already been done, not that long ago, and it was started with almost the exact same theme you describe. It shouldn't be hard to find but you'll need several days to get through it. It got hijacked all right, but the hijackers certainly weren't limited to those who disagree or even question the science or parts thereof. I'd say if you're uncomfortable having your views challenged on this particular topic, or any other for that matter, look somewhere other than CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Sloppy reporting unless they were acknowledging that the sun drives all weather on earth....
Uh-Oh . . . so long as they weren't acknowledging that the sun drives all weather the climate on earth. That's the sort of 'denialist' blasphemy that is definitely not to be tolerated!
Old 03-12-2019, 21:52   #1343

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Here's an article on her arrival: https://time.com/5743092/greta-thunb...climate-talks/

She states: “I am not traveling like this because I want everyone to do so,” said Thunberg. “I’m doing this to sort of send the message that it is impossible to live sustainable today, and that needs to change. It needs to become much easier.”
Does she have any concrete proposals to present at the conference on how the adults are supposed to stop making her (and other kids) angry by fulfilling her vision of 'sustainability'? Nothing in the article speaks to that and I honestly don't know.
Old 04-12-2019, 00:55   #1344

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'm relieved that someone else picked up on all the ironies & contradictions (right words?) in Hartings' post.

‘Ironies’ and ‘contradictions’ are indeed words so well done on that score, whether you are using them correctly is a more moot point. I assume you are not a native English speaker so I will forgive you.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:14   #1345

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

People, could we please not slide back into that whole CC thing again? We almost ruined this thread once already.

If you want to discuss CC and sailing, please start a separate thread on it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-12-2019, 01:25   #1346

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
except for the picky linguistic point that she is not "here" . . . . I have no problem with that.

There is a very small handful of posters here who have experience and skillsets in her ballpark and (I believe) all of them have indicated respect for what she accomplished. It was a well-executed voyage, which was, as I mentioned above, outside the comfort zone and experience base of all but one on board. That is not a dis on anyone - I expect they would all agree, it's just very objectively how it was at the start of this voyage.

I'm not sure we're talking about an extraordinary skill set, compared to that of a fair number of actual ocean sailors around here on CF, but I don't think anyone could deny that the voyage was very well executed and successful in just about every nautical way, something any of us would be proud to have done. Starting out with a decent boat in decent condition is a good start, then add a decent helping of good luck, and a couple of not hopeless crew members, but 90% of the result in a case like this is down to the skipper, who manages all of this, pulls it all together, keeps the crew inspired and working, makes the right decisions day in and day out. Having non-sailing passengers on board makes it even much more challenging for the skipper since you have to be constantly thinking about whether they are getting frightened or uncomfortable or seasick or hungry, or in the way. Then you've got the glare of publicity, a dozen Go Pros rigged up watching your every move, just wait for it all to be published. My hat is truly off to Nikki; obviously did a great job.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-12-2019, 01:43   #1347

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
. Then you've got the glare of publicity, a dozen Go Pros rigged up watching your every move, just wait for it all to be published. My hat is truly off to Nikki; obviously did a great job.
This. I can't even imagine living in such a way. For me, it would ruin sailing and life itself. I realize there are some mild financial benefits to doing so, but the price you pay to make content day in and day out is way too much to justify all the extra work.

Definitely not financially worth the work in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:16   #1348

Boat: Dufour 35

This link is worth a read. https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search

It's gives some interesting background info to the trip.....

++ for Nikki Henderson, who did exactly what she was expected to do.

Thomas
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22   #1349

Listening to Greta's speech in Lisbon I was impressed. Poised yet humble. She's clearly not a narcissistic attention seeker and is not some puppet being manipulated by adults in the background.

"I don't have much to say, just that we are facing a global emergency and we need to see it from a holistic point of view and we need to do everything we can. We need to work together to make sure we secure future living conditions for humankind and that we fight for not only ourselves but for our children and for our grand children and for every single living being on earth and everyone has to do everything they can in order to make sure they are on the right side of history..."

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:27   #1350

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Why so many children? Way over replacement levels and your children may well not be done yet. Too much skin in the game. Population is our biggest problem. Everything else is a symptom.

Mostly agree. I'd say he didn't get soft, he never hardened up. Perhaps that's why he needed/wanted/was required to have a pro skipper on board.

Conventional wisdom often takes quite a while to catch up with reality. Modern boats (say the last few decades) generally make a close reach the most pleasant point of sail, especially in warm regions. Too many cut and paste sailors reading advice they don't understand and applying it out of context.

Which does lead to the question: how do you heat a boat in cold climates effectively without fossil fuels?

Still waiting for an 8 kW nuclear generator for around $12kUS.

Business decision. Good decision, poor logistics. With all the satellite comms on that boat there should have been no problem regardless of timing. I expect the press insisted on good light - oh and not to have to get up too early and interrupt their morning latte. Coming in on a favorable tide and sailing to the dock would have been on message but would it count if no one was there to see?
How is 3 children 'so many'?
Closed Thread