Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 22:37   #1

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo
Looking for a Sextant - Finding this Beauty ...

Given that GPS/electronics aren't exactly an eternal given (scroogle "carrington event 1859") I thought it prudent to look for analogue, solid state celestial navigational aids, along with some literature to explain the arcane art. That's when I happened across this: bit.ly/xL0ZBY (ebay) - isn't it just too beautiful for words! but is it actually useable for navigational purposes? Or is it just a pretty toy/eye candy/conversation piece? Looks like a serious piece of hardware to me.
Old 24-01-2012, 06:21   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Looking for a sextant - finding this beauty...

And it's in almost prefect condition.

How is this "usable for navigational purposes" any more than a kid's globe from a science toys store?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:58   #3

Boat: 1980 Vagabond 47

these guys Antiques Nautical Maur, sextant, compass, star globe,clinometer, Freiberger, CHO-T, SNO-T, CHO-M, Protractor, sno-m, planometer have one listed for $200. USD, might be a better price. Just fyi;These were not intended to entertain but to instruct sailors in locating and identifying key stars in the firmament. Before this, most could take navigation readings only at noon and in sunlight. With a celestial globe (later called a star-finder) the readings could be taken at night.
"just sayin"
S.V.Arebesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
And it's in almost prefect condition.

How is this "usable for navigational purposes" any more than a kid's globe from a science toys store?

Agreed, of what use is it to you, its a pretty star finder, a plastic star identifier would be a lot cheaper and easier to use.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:47   #5

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Solo View Post
isn't it just too beautiful for words! but is it actually useable for navigational purposes? Or is it just a pretty toy/eye candy/conversation piece? Looks like a serious piece of hardware to me.
It looks serious to me. That it rotates in so many ways with precision ruled lines, and has pencils that go with it... I think it must do something more than a plastic toy.

Maybe you can find instructions on Google, or just... try to work it out. Setup a problem-- look up one of the stars in the almanac, figure out where it would be, place it there on the device, and see if there's something to do.

The problem might be that it may be "backwards" from the way sight reduction is normally done, and so may have had it's own set of reduction tables or almanac in a different form. Though someone suitably nerdy could make current tables or an almanac for it.

Also, keep in mind that aircraft used to use celestial navigation. There are even weird aviation sextants that look like little machines. So this globe may be part of that system-- a way to speed up the calculation for someone who is moving fast. I don't know if they felt they need more or less accuracy for aircraft navigation, but something to keep in mind-- it may be designed for a rougher idea of where you are.

When I was navigating traditionally I ended up making my own forms, since I felt that the forms in the back of books made it more complicated than it needed to be. They seemed to be written for people who did not know basic algebra and wanted an algorithm spelled out as a word problem, which, to me, is more difficult to understand. So if you use this Russian globe I have a feeling you'd have to figure out your own system.

If you have to be conservative with money, I feel that a taffrail log is really nice for traditional navigation (less work and more accurate than a chip log), and probably make a bigger difference in the daily routine than the Russian globe (however beautiful).

Well, good luck with it. I've found a lot of fun in traditional navigation.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:30   #6

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
It looks serious to me. That it rotates in so many ways with precision ruled lines, and has pencils that go with it... I think it must do something more than a plastic toy.
<snip>

Interesting post in many ways, thanks! :-) Did a search for "taffrail log", seem to be called "shark bait" in some quarters - not a problem in my waters, 'tho. And a very useful tool for analog navigation.

As for it not being a toy, you're right; someone (S.V.Arebesque) pointed out that the astrolabe (?) were used for training purposes. Investigating further, at bit.ly/yRup3D it says that it's a "cold war training device used in the Russian Navy and Maritime Service for training in celestial navigation." I.e. a real blast from the past.
Old 24-01-2012, 09:54   #7

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Solo View Post
Did a search for "taffrail log", seem to be called "shark bait" in some quarters - not a problem in my waters, 'tho. And a very useful tool for analog navigation.
The older cruising books say that painting it black makes it look less delicious to sharks. So I did this, and it was not eaten. We towed it about a third of the way around the world.

The only problem was chafe on the line, where it exits the spinner and the weight. So you have to check it every few days for chafe, and we eventually put some heatshrink tubing on the line to protect it, which worked very well.

A chip log would also work, but I never got that confident with timing and counting knots, it seemed a bit hokey.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:56   #8

For sure it's no toy.....

My brother, who collects this sort of stuff has one and there is one on display at the Australian Maritime Collage....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sextant