Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 05:39   #121

Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Unfortunately you have all missed the point.
There was an article about a year go discussing the reversing or switching of the north and south poles. Historically it goes back and happened on the average every 400,000 years. It has been 700,000 years since the last on. The way it happens is the north pole travels south, the north pole travels south and they merge some where equatorial and then the separate the north continuing to the south and the south continuing north. The article had quite a few charts and one of them projected the path of the moving north pole and how it was accelerating every year and they predicted it would move faster and faster heading south and arrive in the equatorial area, (sorry I don't remember exactly where they said).in about 80 years. But this is not the real problem...the real problem is that when the north and south magnetic poles begin to get closer they will begin to cancel each other out. when they merge fully there will be no magnetic field at all and as the poles complete their change and then separate to their new homes the magnetic field will return. But still this is not the real problem. The real problem is that the magnetic field is what protects the earth and all its everything from cosmic radiation. As the magnetic field approaches zero, protection from cosmic radiation will approach zero. This will cause increased risks of cancer to humans and electronics like gps satellites that are sensitive to cosmic radiation will also suffer.
After reading the article I mulled it over for a week or two and then went back to download the article and it was gone. I read the article on spaceweather.com. I have followed news there and there is a group of university students in California that launch high altitude balloons every year to measure cosmic radiation and it has been increasing some 15% over the last 20+ years. The north pole has been moving rapidly but has not made a significant change in latitude from what the graph showed. The north pole was primarily heading to Siberia it said which may or may not be a precursor to heading south. One article says the south pole is relatively the same.
NOAA was about to publish updated magnetic variances but the shutdown has stalled that.
Your on to it as the magnetic field weakens we will be more vunerable to solar flares and if we have one at least the size of the Carrington event, that where ever it hits, their electric infrastructure will be completely wiped out.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 06:02   #122

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
The south magnetic pole has moved off the Antartic main land and is in the ocean.

am not finding news on this... poked around a bit but found nothing "of substance"

do you have a link?

thinking on this, i went to wikipedia...

"Hypotheses have also advanced toward linking reversals to mass extinctions...

....It may be, however, that the ends of superchrons have caused vigorous convection leading to widespread volcanism, and that the subsequent airborne ash caused extinctions.

... It can appear that the extinction occurs at the end of a polarity interval when the rest of that polarity interval was simply eroded away...."

don't slam me guys, but it makes me wonder if the probability (or FEAR) of reversal happening is the real reason why the chinese are making haste to the dark side of the moon

Old 29-01-2019, 06:23   #123

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
am not finding news on this... poked around a bit but found nothing "of substance"

do you have a link?

thinking on this, i went to wikipedia...

"Hypotheses have also advanced toward linking reversals to mass extinctions...

....It may be, however, that the ends of superchrons have caused vigorous convection leading to widespread volcanism, and that the subsequent airborne ash caused extinctions.

... It can appear that the extinction occurs at the end of a polarity interval when the rest of that polarity interval was simply eroded away...."

don't slam me guys, but it makes me wonder if the probability (or FEAR) of reversal happening is the real reason why the chinese are making haste to the dark side of the moon

Wikipedia is your friend, here as well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Magnetic_Pole
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 06:47   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The "end" of a freely hanging magnet that points (roughly) north is itself called the "north pole" of the magnet, and the other end, pointing south, is called the magnet's "south pole".
The South Magnetic Pole is constantly shifting due to changes in the Earth's magnetic field.
As of 2005 it was calculated to lie at 64°31 48″S x 137°51 36″E, placing it off the coast of Antarctica, between Adélie Land and Wilkes Land.

The locations of the poles (1590-2020) are available for download here:

S ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/poles/SP.xy (2019 = 135.924 x 64.147)
N ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/poles/NP.xy (2019 = 175.346 x 86.448)

Due to polar drift, the pole is moving northwest by about 10 to 15 kilometres (6 to 9 mi) per year. Its current distance from the actual Geographic South Pole is approximately 2,860 km (1,780 mi).

More ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/GeomagneticPoles.shtml

And ➥ Magnetic Poles

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:44   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Stu, I hope your statement a send up? You seem to me to be knowledgeable normally.
Sorry, should have use a <sarc> tag
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 14:03   #126

Hold my beer! I got this pole shifting issue handled.

Hey, hey, I said hold my beer, not drink it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet earth.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	184749  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Magnetic north just changed.

The World Magnetic Model update was officially released on Monday, February 5, 2019, and magnetic north can again be precisely located.
This out-of-cycle update, before next year’s official release of WMM2020, will ensure safe navigation for military applications, commercial airlines, search and rescue operations, and others operating around the North Pole.

World Magnetic Model Out-of-Cycle Release
Goto ☞ https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/world...-cycle-release

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:01   #128

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The "end" of a freely hanging magnet that points (roughly) north is itself called the "north pole" of the magnet, and the other end, pointing south, is called the magnet's "south pole".
The South Magnetic Pole is constantly shifting due to changes in the Earth's magnetic field.
As of 2005 it was calculated to lie at 64°31 48″S x 137°51 36″E, placing it off the coast of Antarctica, between Adélie Land and Wilkes Land.

The locations of the poles (1590-2020) are available for download here:

S ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/poles/SP.xy (2019 = 135.924 x 64.147)
N ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/poles/NP.xy (2019 = 175.346 x 86.448)

Due to polar drift, the pole is moving northwest by about 10 to 15 kilometres (6 to 9 mi) per year. Its current distance from the actual Geographic South Pole is approximately 2,860 km (1,780 mi).

More ➥ https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/GeomagneticPoles.shtml

And ➥ Magnetic Poles
Actually it's just the opposite Magnetic Field of the Earth
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:45   #129

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

@GordMay and @TeddyDiver thanks for the interesting links.

With the Online calculator https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/cal...rf#declination better declination angles can be calculated for each point of the world.

Corrections on paper maps can be made.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote