Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2009, 11:20   #121
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Indeed. I am about to order the new MaxSea TimeZero and hope I can get an activation code instead of a dongle. With v10 I actually ordered an update (AIS module) and they sent me dongle update codes. When I entered those in my open copy, they were accepted too and the module was activated so I guess it was fully legal again without the dongle ha ha.

I love recording studio's. I sometimes just want to buy a ranch to build one...

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:28   #122

Boat: Norseman 447
For an excellent range of 12 volt fanned and fanless PC's have a look at SD-Omega manufactures small form factor PCs . Our feature products are mini pc, thin client, small pc, book pc and cube pc that fit into all environment and applications like kiosk, POS, vehicle , medical and more; Some are fanless systems that will , great product, I have used them for years, will sell to anyone, you often see them rebadged, 4 yrs of cruising ours never missed a beat and was often run 24/7
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:47   #123

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
They have a mobile micro PC that runs off 12v dc, look at all their micro computers, they even have a waterprof one. Lots of options to configure them.

stealth computer - Mobile / Vehicle Mini PCs, small form factor and fanless computers
All these are made by SD-Omega manufactures small form factor PCs . Our feature products are mini pc, thin client, small pc, book pc and cube pc that fit into all environment and applications like kiosk, POS, vehicle , medical and more; Some are fanless systems that will , for a better deal cut out the middle man and deal direct
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:54   #124

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
I love recording studio's. I sometimes just want to buy a ranch to build one...
It's amazing what you can do now-a-days with just a PC and a USB or Firewire A/D interface. It's all in the software...
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 16:09   #125

Fishman,

Couldn't agree more! I am thinkng about 3 LED LCD monitors on my future boat, one for the nav station, salon, and aft cabin all hooked into a micro PC under the nav station. (they make spliters for multiple video outputs).

I'll have one wireless keyboard and wireless mouse so I can work from either of the 3 spots, stream movies to the salon, lay in bed in the aft cabin typing emails etc. Also thinking about running a 4th cable to the cockpit so I can bring up the monitor from below.

Lots of options here.

It's exciting

EDIT: I'll have one hard wired keyboard and mouse n the nav station the wireless keyboard and mouse will be for the salon and aft cabin, maybe even the cockpit for the nice nghts.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 21:21   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
It's amazing what you can do now-a-days with just a PC and a USB or Firewire A/D interface. It's all in the software...
Well... yes, but the speaker system I wish doesn't fit aboard Jedi ;-)

And the acoustics of course. I must stop thinking about this or it's going to cost me money! ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-10-2009, 06:59   #127

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Chip: One needs an HTPC on the boat. They have video cards with multi-monitor capabilities allowing different outputs to differnt monitors same PC. So you can stream video to the HDTV while displaying Charts and Instruments in the cockpit or navstation. The price for these is not much more than a standard video card. ATI calls there version "Hydra", can't remember NVidia's tho. I use one on mine for displaying my guitar amp/effect software on the left monitor while using Ableton Live or Pro Tools on the right.

Jedi: Try the Bose headphones and/or the little Acoustimass speakers (the cubes). If you've never heard them OMG! are you in for a surprise! A LOT of sound in that little package! Truly amazing.
Old 16-10-2009, 07:55   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fish,

I am not in the Bose camp. I think their design is pretty and the sound quality is okay, but not great.

The system I have aboard now is the best I ever encountered, even much bigger speakers on mega yachts sounded not as good. I am using satellites from Mirage, a Canadian brand (bigger than Bose but small enough for even the smallest boat). They are specialized in small speakers for acoustic challenging rooms/spaces, using deflectors in from of the (titanium) speaker-cones to create as much in-direct sound as possible.
The bass is impressive too but not up to my standard so I added a single 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure.
I completely switched to wifi-streaming audio using squeezebox hardware.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-10-2009, 08:27   #129

Not in the Bose camp, hey?
Okey doke,
I am not a speaker officianado but I have heard of Mirage, I just haven't heard them. Well, whatever "floats the boat" for ya. I do like Bose's headphones tho.
Fortunately, we don't have THAT much room to need the wi-fi audio...... yet.
Old 16-10-2009, 08:37   #130

Chip: My bad, that's Hydravision. All the newer ATI Radeons support Multi-display (I think up to 8 on the HD3800).
Old 16-10-2009, 11:55   #131

Maybe we should start a boat recording studio thread, I'm in the media business and have 3 Avids (two Adrenalines and a Symphony Nitris DS) I use for video production and also have a protools HD suite, (Avid owns digidesign Protools btw) and have been wanting to put a mini studio on my future boat. Something small but has both high end audio and video production capabilities.

I wonder how many others would have interst in a boat 'mini' studio thread or if we are the only ones.

I'd think with all these little HD video cameras out that people would have interest, seems like everyone is making travel videos. You know, something a few steps up from a basic laptop studio.

I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, touted as the worlds best sounding headphones although not cheap at $1400 a pair they are a little slice of sonic heaven.

I have 3 pairs of Genelec 8050a's speakers for my Avid video production suites, love them but will probably have to get something smaller for the boat, they make a smaller series that might work, my protools hd suite I have several speakers running from Adams, Mackie's, Yamaha & B&W diamond series.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 13:32   #132

Your wish is my command!

Quote:
Maybe we should start a boat recording studio thread...
Your wish is my command!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-31995.html
Old 18-10-2009, 19:31   #133

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
File System?

I just got a 2 terabyte hard drive (Seagate 2TB LP (low power) Serial ATA HD) for backups, movies and digital charts.
I would like to format it so that Windows XP and Ubuntu can read it.

I think that Ubuntu reads and/or can use a NTFS file system?
Any one now why NTFS might be a bad idea?
Anyone have any good hard drive management strategies?
Any reason I wouldn't just format it as one large hard drive??

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:00   #134

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I just got a 2 terabyte hard drive (Seagate 2TB LP (low power) Serial ATA HD) for backups, movies and digital charts.
I would like to format it so that Windows XP and Ubuntu can read it.

I think that Ubuntu reads and/or can use a NTFS file system?
Any one now why NTFS might be a bad idea?
Anyone have any good hard drive management strategies?
Any reason I wouldn't just format it as one large hard drive??

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Extemp.
I think that its always a good idea to put separate operating systems on their on drive partition(s), unless you're doing something like coLinux. Besides, Linux prefers a dedicated swap partition anyways, so you might as well go ahead and partition the drive up for each OS. (If for no other reason than because Windows OS's are notorious for not playing well with others on the same partition.)

As for NTFS, file system types are more of a personal preference. There are reasons for and against each type. With that said, I'd pick the most stable file system for each particular OS....but then again, what the hell do I know...I like the Reiser FS
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:09   #135

The native FS for each OS would be preferable for best functionability, seperate partions being a must. But if there is a reason for "cross-system" file usage (media?), I suggest you try looking here first....
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...irdPartyNTFS3G

Tags
12v computers, marine computers