Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2020, 06:13   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Maryland to Key West to Maryland

Rats, missed that. But thanks for the tip; next time.

We did go see the 1000-year-old tree on our first stop through there...

-Chris
Old 21-01-2020, 19:34   #17
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Thank you all for the information. It is very helpful.

The boat is 24ft wide rub rail to rub rail; 23.5 molded. Hull number 98 out of the mold for the LeBlanc 50 lobster boat. Built new as a two bedroom, two bath floating condominium. Carries 1250 fuel and burns 4 gph at 7 knots. Lots of room and lots of carrying capacity. You just have to be careful where you put it.
It stops with reverse but does not back very well. Marina people do not necessarily listen when you tell them all of the restrictions - 6 ft draft, starboard tie; it is not a canoe. You frequently have to say "no" I will not go in there.
May finally be able to leave next week around the 28 of january. Looks like a good run of north winds. Have managed to remove back end deadline.
My ability to run the ICW is very limited.
I have been up and down the east coast twice. Down the bay to Beaufort NC, then Beaufort to Stuart last year and earlier this year, Beaufort to Charleston and Charleston to Ft Lauderdale. It is all weather.
I have returned earlier this year Chub Cay to Beaufort NC and Stuart to Charleston and Charleston to Beaufort.
The boat is really built for the ocean; not too happy on the ICW.
Key West is still the Florida end point; probably not for long. Will just call the marinas and see what they say. Probably go to Stuart and across to Sanibel and down to Ft Jefferson and over to KW. See what weather and time look like and maybe go over to the Bahamas. Too bad Cuba is not open yet.
That would be fun.
Thanks again to all.
TW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 19:46   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBW View Post
Seeking comments, opinions, advice and thoughts for upcoming trip. All are sincerely welcome.
Leaving Easton Md. first of February. Boat is 50 foot trawler, 24 foot beam, draws 6 feet carries 1250 fuel, good for about 2000 miles - about 2 months self contained. 7 knot or so cruise.
The first point of interest is St Augustine. Then Key West / Fort Jefferson.
Maybe across to the Bahamas (Waderick Wells is nice) maybe not.
Have to have someone at the BWI airport on 28 March without fail.
Pay a lot of attention to weather. Last year was ICW to Beaufort, to Charleston to Ft Lauderdale (can do without Lauderdale).
I can go across at Stuart and go around Sanibel to Cayo Costa and then down to Ft Jefferson and then to Key West. Can go back the same way or north by Miami and straight home or jump over to Alicetown and across the banks to Chub Cay and down to Exmas.
I do not know anything about Key West (we are in our 70's and pretty quiet) and am not really able to get very far looking at the charts and AC for working my way north along the coast from KW to Miami, Lauderdale and so forth. Not really eager to get crossed up with what seems to be a new regime of water police. Last year caught a nice weather window and ran from Chub Cay to Beaufort in about 90 hours.
I know - schedule is the worst thing but you go when you can. Will try to leave around first December later this year.
So any advice about Key West (will use marina there if available) and the keys is much appreciated. If I go from Cayo Costa or Naples I will loop out a bit to give any crab traps etc clearance.
With a bit of luck with the weather gods can probably make it through Okeechobee, down to Ft Jefferson / Key West and over to Bahamas and then jump straight home.
For all of you who wade through this, thank you.
TW
DO you really have a 24ft beam??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 06:33   #19
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Yes; 23 1/2 molded and 24 rub rail to rub rail.
Gives you lots of space; very comfortable.
Driven by Canadian fisheries regulations.
When this boat was built they were carrying 400 lobster pots on the deck.
I am told they are now building 29 and even 30 ft beam boats.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, Maryland