Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2019, 03:35   #1

Memory Rock or Sand Cay cut?

Bringing my Dorian-disabled boat back from the Abacos to Lake Worth Sunday-Tuesday. I usually go through the Memory Rock cut to enter the Bank or the Atlantic, but wondering about the cut just north of Sand Cay at the tip of West End. Not Indian Rocks, but on my Garmin it shows a route about 6nm below the normal Memory Rock cut. That cut would save me some time coming from Great Sale, but wonder if the sand bars have moved around after the hurricane? Edit: actually, after looking at my 2014 7th edition Explorer chart it doesn’t even show a route going through there so I guess I’ll skip that idea. Any reports on the south of Memory Rock cut? Any issues there after Dorian?

I’m planning on stopping in West End Monday evening and crossing over to Lake Worth Tuesday. Never been to the West End marina entrance. Is is OK to enter late in the evening with the sun behind me?

Thanks in advance! Boat is an Island Packet SP Cruiser and draws about 4’. Mast currently broken.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 06:00   #2

Re: Memory Rock or Sand Cay cut?

We draw 5.5’ and have taken the Indian Cay Cut at half-tide or better several times pre-Dorian. The waypoints in the Steve Dodge book have always been spot on. Again, that’s pre-Dorian. We’ve also entered West End (Old Bahama Bay Marina) in full darkness before. It shouldn’t be a problem late in the day.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 07:19   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Memory Rock or Sand Cay cut?

Came through Indian Key cut in April at slack high,following explorer on Aqua map, saw a couple of 6ft readings. I would not chance it since Dorian. Two boats the day before us overnighted in Ginn Sur mere without problem.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote