Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 04:13   #16
cruiser

Re: Mexico Raster Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
There are these (no experience with them):

NAUTICAL CHARTS ON CD

Mine are MapTech from the late nineties - surprised they are not available anymore...

Michael
Furuno 1623

how old those charts are, last updates. ant that one one the bottom, "world". that is CM-93. he downloaded it from the internet and selling on ebay. i can not believe that people buying this crap. just go on emule and write "nautical charts". you will get all of them, even more.

lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 09:53   #17

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I've bought charts from gurutwo@bellsouth.net
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 20:28   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Softcharts has a good selection at a fair price - http://www.sea-tech.com/SoftChart_current.htm
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 20:49   #19

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Emule update, I tried it, it sucks.
It takes literally days for it to download anything. One reason charts on CD or DVD can be sold, even though they are available for free online, is that it takes a long time to download them and the vendors are not charging that much for all that they are selling. The link I posted earlier sells 3 regions on a CD/DVD. Of course you have to do due diligence and do the updates on the areas you plan to cruise.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:18   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Softcharts has a good selection at a fair price - SoftCharts
Best I can determine "Softcharts International" is defunct/kaput. They are very good charts and are still available from some vendors that still have a supply.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:55   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
Emule update, I tried it, it sucks.
It takes literally days for it to download anything.

i do not know for you.i never had to townload anything "for days". most of the time it is done in few hours or i let computer run overnight and in the morning i got it.. last charts i downloaded was pacific "from galapagos to new zeland" and "complete caribean". it took me one afternoon. (250 charts all together)

lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 13:20   #22

Boat: Sailboat

Found the following on the "Sailing Pelagia" blog:
Sailing Pelagia: Information for cruising Mexico (charts, guidebooks, weather sources & communications) – Pelagia’s experience (2014)

I slightly reformatted and reprint below the bit on charts:

OFFICIAL MEXICO CHARTS ARE AVAILABLE:
The Secretaría de Marina Armada de México (SEMAR) produces its own series of charts, and these are available directly from SEMAR in both paper and electronic (raster) form for the same price. The SEMAR website has a full listing of these charts, indicating their coverage, scale, and date produced/revised.

I have seen some of these official Mexican charts and, at least the charts I viewed, they are considerably more accurate/up-to-date than the various electronic charting cards.

Unfortunately, these charts are priced individually, not as a package. At 369 Mexican pesos each (plus tax) – about C$31 for either format – a full set for Mexico would be rather pricey. Another problem is that these charts are a little complicated to obtain: one has to contact a government chart seller (for example, in Ensenada: Estacion de Investigacion Oceanografica de Ensenada, B.C., Boulevard Costero y Agustín Sangines (A y B), Ensenada, B.C. 22800 Tel. +52(646) 172 57 43 EMAIL: oceanografia_eda@hotmail.com digadhicar@semar.gob.mx).

ALSO: Blue Latitude Press, publishers of the BEST cruising guides for the west coast of Mexico, has detailed electronic charts. The detailed charts in the Blue Latitude Press guides are available as GPS-accurate charts for PC, Android, IPad and Mac. The charts are the same price for all platforms; however, software required to view these charts is expensive for PC and Mac, but quite reasonably priced for Android ("PathAway") and IPad ("INavX") tablets. See Blue Latitude Press and Fugawi X-Traverse websites.

SailorDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, Mexico