Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 23:44   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Miles over ground or over water?

Insurance companies can be pretty silly with some of their demands, but really, folks, the operational difference between distance through the water and over the bottom is not going to be significant to them. I think that one can safely disregard the issue and get on with the sailing.

Jim
Old 13-01-2015, 00:45   #32

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

In regard to the side discussion about sea service time for qualifying for a professional license from the US Coast Guard, that trip over to the pump out doesn't seem likely to count for anything... unless it's a very slow, long trip and the pumpout is a wee bit slow.

Or at least that seems to be the inference to be drawn from the US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 46, section 10.107, Licensing, Definitions...

"Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter, eight hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels where a 12-hour working day is authorized and practiced, each work day may be creditable as one and one-half days of service. On vessels of less than 100 gross register tons, a day is considered as eight hours unless the Coast Guard determines that the vessel's operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate, in no case will this period be less than four hours. When computing service required for MODU endorsements, a day is a minimum of four hours, and no additional credit is received for periods served over eight hours."
Old 13-01-2015, 02:06   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
Hi everyone,

I need to prove to the insurance that I have enough experience to extend the areas allowed for navigation, so I am religiously recording all trips, but noticed that there is a significant discrepancy between the boat log that tracks over water, and the gps log of bad elf/navionics that record over ground.

What is the method mostly used?

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers

Give your insurance the most favourable number !!

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-01-2015, 02:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Jim and Ann,

While, I quite enjoy both of you as peoples!

You sometimes very frustrate me, with some of your advise. It seems, you think it more important on how it should be....as to how it really is...in the real world.

If you have a generation gap, maybe don't give so much advise.

Stop and think about the real WORLD.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Insurance companies can be pretty silly with some of their demands, but really, folks, the operational difference between distance through the water and over the bottom is not going to be significant to them. I think that one can safely disregard the issue and get on with the sailing.

Jim
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 02:42   #35
Marine Service Provider

Sometimes it hurts to be right.

BUT right, you are.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
In regard to the side discussion about sea service time for qualifying for a professional license from the US Coast Guard, that trip over to the pump out doesn't seem likely to count for anything... unless it's a very slow, long trip and the pumpout is a wee bit slow.

Or at least that seems to be the inference to be drawn from the US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 46, section 10.107, Licensing, Definitions...

"Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter, eight hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels where a 12-hour working day is authorized and practiced, each work day may be creditable as one and one-half days of service. On vessels of less than 100 gross register tons, a day is considered as eight hours unless the Coast Guard determines that the vessel's operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate, in no case will this period be less than four hours. When computing service required for MODU endorsements, a day is a minimum of four hours, and no additional credit is received for periods served over eight hours."
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 07:50   #36

Just ask the uninsurance agent what is expected.

Odds are they are just looking for reasonable evidence you are familiar with the boat and cruisng in general. The difference between 1000 miles vs 1200 miles will be all but irrelevant to them.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 15:58   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Jim and Ann,

While, I quite enjoy both of you as peoples!

You sometimes very frustrate me, with some of your advise. It seems, you think it more important on how it should be....as to how it really is...in the real world.

If you have a generation gap, maybe don't give so much advise.

Stop and think about the real WORLD.

Lloyd
So, Lloyd, you think in the "real WORLD" that insurance companies will differentiate between miles over the ground and miles through the water when evaluating a prospective customer's experience?

I disagree.

Maybe because of a "generation gap", but then I don't really know what you mean there. Is it that you think that I am too old to give useful advice to younger folks? Perhaps so, though sometimes they seem to appreciate my contributions.

If the advise that I offer to others frustrates you, my advise to YOU is to ignore it. You also have my permission to advise others to ignore it. I don't really care.

Jim

Tags
water