Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 18:30   #256

Re: MISSING 75īs.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Contacting a company like say Maersk may help - they know the routes, they are a Scandinavian company, they may extend some help. I'd try.

b.
I would say any GMDSS equiped ships transiting the area should be aware of the situation by now.....

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...47534661,d.aGc

Quote:
DTG 011500 UTC May 13
FROM JRCC STAVANGER, NORWAY
PHONE +47 5151 7000
FAX +47 5165 2334

EMAIL operations@jrcc-stavanger.no

TO ALL SHIPS IN AREA OF ATLANTICC OCEAN - St.Martin to the Azores

SUBJECT DISTRESS RELAY ALERT / COMMUNICATION SEARCH

1. IDENTITY OF CASUALTY: S/Y LADY DOMINA

2. POSITION: BETWEEN ST MARTIN AND THE AZORES

3. SITUATION: NO COMMUNICATION AFTER DEPARTURE ST. MARTIN THE 1ST APRIL.

4. DESCRIPTION OF VESSEL: SAILING YACHT, 75 FEET, DARK BLUE/BLACK HULL, WHITE STRIPE, RED BOTTOM

5. PERSONS AT RISK: 5

6. ASSISTANCE REQUIRED: COMMUNICATION SEARCH ON VHF AND SHARP LOOK OUT. ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THE ROUTE AND ESTIMATE OF ARRIVAL TO AZORES.

7. INSTRUCTIONS TO SHIPS

- SHIPS ENROUTE ARE REQUESTED TO KEEP SHARP LOOK OUT AND REPORT ANY SIGHTINGS TO MRCC DELGADA
- SHIPS WITH OTHER VITAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE DISTRESSED VESSELS SITUATION ARE INVITED TO INFORM THIS RESCUE CENTRE ASAP.
- SHIPS ENROUTE ARE REQUESTED TO DO COMMUNICATION SEARCH ON VHF REGULAR BASIS

8. COORDINATING RCC: MRCC DELGADA
TEL: +351 296 281 777
Fax: +351 296 205 239
E-mail: mrcc.delgada@marinha.pt
Old 08-06-2013, 19:29   #257

Boat: csy 37

FINALLY! something useful has come out of this thread! don't know if we are collectively responsible for this or if Tore arranged for it personally but it's maybe the first positive step forward in locating the lady domina, if it can be located.
Old 08-06-2013, 20:24   #258

If the above alert was raised by anyone in this thread you would have heard about it (from them) before now, it went out on the 13th of May....nearly a month ago...
Old 09-06-2013, 00:23   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Briansfriends, the possible VHF contact was reported by a CF member here on this thread:
Can anyone help get in contact with Blue Pelican? It would be really useful if we could confirm more detail of the overheard conversation. are the dates accurate? ... was it definitely them? attempts to confirm this via the Puerto Rican coastguard have failed. can I urge anyone who can help put is touch to step forward please.
I know i'm going over old ground here but checking the veracity of this information is key for family and friends.
any help hugely appreciated... private message's welcome.
Old 09-06-2013, 00:30   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnao1976 View Post
Hi I am also worried about the fate of the Lady Domina and also the fate of Katie Lee and Oyvind as I am a very old friend and can also contact the lee family if needed please can you update m as to if anyone has any further information from the Puerto rican lifeguard etc... I have asked if any of her uk friends have been contacted but have not as yet contacted the family. Please assist thanks. Donna

Hi Donna, private message me or email me at craig@shedlight.com ...Brian's partner would like to contact the Lees so it'd be great if you can help do that.
thanks
Craig
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50   #261
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Does anyone remeber what color the life raft was on LD? Seems i remeber someone telling me it was black.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansfriends View Post
Can anyone help get in contact with Blue Pelican? It would be really useful if we could confirm more detail of the overheard conversation. are the dates accurate? ... was it definitely them? attempts to confirm this via the Puerto Rican coastguard have failed. can I urge anyone who can help put is touch to step forward please.
I know i'm going over old ground here but checking the veracity of this information is key for family and friends.
any help hugely appreciated... private message's welcome.
Anything we can add to assist in sorting out this terrible situation, we of course will.

A couple of background items first;
Last hurricane season we were anchored in Mt Hartman Bay, Grenada, where Lady Domina was moored. They were right next to a friend's boat, in Mt Hartman Bay, and whilst I didn't really engage at anytime with the Norwegian owner [he could be somewhat aloof], I did speak a few times to Katie, who I found always to be pleasant. My wife and I nick-named the vessel 'Darth Vader's boat' and people immediately knew which boat was being referred to. Lady Domina is wide, high freeboard, multi level and beamy, and black, not your classic New England style sloop.
When my wife and I were in St Martin, I saw Lady Domina's owner and Katie at the 'Simply' supermarket. Katie didnt say Hi, seemingly just concentrating on being in the supermarket.

So later in our travels, when we heard Puerto Rican Coast Guard respond to Lady Domina, a vessel and party known to us, obviously our ears pricked up, and we listened in. As most will know, PR Coast Guard transmit traffic in both Spanish and English. If the party in contact with them is local, they usually speak Spanish.
The transmission we heard was only of the P.R coast guard, was clear and was in English. The response was to weather inquiry, not anything of a safety or emergency nature. The coast guard transmission was clear and strong, the other party not. Our equipment provides good performance, so we would speculate that Lady Domina was probably on the other side, i.e. north of Puerto Rico, we were transitting the east and southern side of PR.

Our log shows we were travelling that part between April 29 and May 3rd.

The RX was not logged, since it was not a safety or emergency matter and we were not engaged in traffic.

Blue Pelican has been mostly at sea over the last number of weeks, now in internet contact if we can provide anything further to those central to this, or obviously any authority.
We follow with concerned interest this situation and our thoughts go to the families of the crew.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:57   #263

Boat: a sailing boat

If it were the same boat, then she was not sailing to the Azores.

b.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04   #264
cruiser

Hey Barnacle, Explain, please. Could they not have been weighing anchor, having spent a considerable amount of time in Puerto Rico?

Where are the best free anchorages in PR?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13   #265

Thank you Blue Pelican, much appreciated. Initial attempts to get confirmation from the USCG of the conversation failed, but we are going back to the authorities with this and you've helped that process.

Your concern and information really is appreciated... as it is with everyone else who's been posting and emailing.
THANKYOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pelican View Post
Anything we can add to assist in sorting out this terrible situation, we of course will.

A couple of background items first;
Last hurricane season we were anchored in Mt Hartman Bay, Grenada, where Lady Domina was moored. They were right next to a friend's boat, in Mt Hartman Bay, and whilst I didn't really engage at anytime with the Norwegian owner [he could be somewhat aloof], I did speak a few times to Katie, who I found always to be pleasant. My wife and I nick-named the vessel 'Darth Vader's boat' and people immediately knew which boat was being referred to. Lady Domina is wide, high freeboard, multi level and beamy, and black, not your classic New England style sloop.
When my wife and I were in St Martin, I saw Lady Domina's owner and Katie at the 'Simply' supermarket. Katie didnt say Hi, seemingly just concentrating on being in the supermarket.

So later in our travels, when we heard Puerto Rican Coast Guard respond to Lady Domina, a vessel and party known to us, obviously our ears pricked up, and we listened in. As most will know, PR Coast Guard transmit traffic in both Spanish and English. If the party in contact with them is local, they usually speak Spanish.
The transmission we heard was only of the P.R coast guard, was clear and was in English. The response was to weather inquiry, not anything of a safety or emergency nature. The coast guard transmission was clear and strong, the other party not. Our equipment provides good performance, so we would speculate that Lady Domina was probably on the other side, i.e. north of Puerto Rico, we were transitting the east and southern side of PR.

Our log shows we were travelling that part between April 29 and May 3rd.

The RX was not logged, since it was not a safety or emergency matter and we were not engaged in traffic.

Blue Pelican has been mostly at sea over the last number of weeks, now in internet contact if we can provide anything further to those central to this, or obviously any authority.
We follow with concerned interest this situation and our thoughts go to the families of the crew.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25   #266
cruiser

best of luck
Old 09-06-2013, 09:39   #267

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Also, need contact for the Lee family. I have Kati's email, but of course, no response there. Thanks, Tim
I would suggest that if anyone knows how to contact the family of missing crew, they give the family the option of whom they want to speak to, rather than giving out the families' personal contact information to others.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 09-06-2013, 09:57   #268

I would strongly endorse that suggestion
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42   #269

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Does anyone remeber what color the life raft was on LD? Seems i remeber someone telling me it was black.

Its a rounded white canister located in the transom , we dont know if there is a real liferaft inside or a improvised BBQ or tool box, who know?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50   #270
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They are pretty much all black tube with orange canopy. Some winslows are yellow.