Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 16:21   #316

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Unfortunately, plans can change on the spur of the moment, and a decision to abandon a direct route to the Azores as being too slow or too costly in fuel might have been made after setting sail; one still has to wonder, though, why no one called home while they still had coverage to let people know, if indeed that was the case. When they show up, and I am hopeful that they will, they may have some explaining to do to family and friends (sort of like the rather mixed heated and cold reception I remember getting when as a teen I came home from a date in the wee hours of the morning instead the arranged before midnight deadline).
Old 10-06-2013, 17:09   #317
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I put my vote in for a fast sinking on a dark night.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:26   #318

"It is unknown whether the Eurodam, part of the Holland America Fleet, notified authorities as they were required to do..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post

This breaks my heart. Shame on that captain. How could anyone sail by a liferaft without properly checking it or at least reporting it to SAR so they could send someone to check it. Unbelievable.
I think it would be a great idea to let Holland America Lines know how I feel about them ignoring a life raft in the middle of the ocean. Their complaint department is (in case others wish to do the same):

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/Main.action

I am so disgusted at their actions and will let them know. I will wait until tomorrow in case I figure a really good reason they did that-but so far nothing but anger at their lack of concern.

I am with the others in hoping for news on Lady Domina.

Gloria
Old 10-06-2013, 21:44   #319
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

We talked about Lad Domina on the radio today. We asked people to phone home and ask their relatives to be on the lookout. Our listeners are from many of the Caribbean nations. Who knows, it is a long shot, but we are trying everything we can think of.

Hey, if you have photos or you have video or an anecdote you would share with us, please send it to paynterlawfirm@gmail.com. When I was young I lacked gratitude. Today, i am very grateful all of you are here to teach and to help.

Tim

Sailing Savoir Faire
Old 10-06-2013, 23:25   #320
cruiser

Looking at the harbor in St. Martin, can anyone pinpoint where the Lady Domina was anchored?

We shall soon have satellite photos for Puerto Rico, and are looking at photos in other areas. It would help to identify the Lady Domina so we know what we are looking for. O.K. don't say it, a needle in a haystack, still, I guess if it were me out there I would hope someone would make the effort.

Marigot Bay where LD was anchored: http://www.undiasinfronteras.com/wp-...got-bay-ii.jpg
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38   #321

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Looking at the harbor in St. Martin, can anyone pinpoint where the Lady Domina was anchored?

We shall soon have satellite photos for Puerto Rico, and are looking at photos in other areas. It would help to identify the Lady Domina so we know what we are loo
Wow this got truncated when I submitted it the first time. I was trying to suggest when looking at Google satellite imagery to go to the maps labs in the left hand corner and enable the distance measuring tool. I measured my own boat to within a foot but can't say how accurate it is for certain. Perhaps others could measure their boats to confirm or deny this tool is semi accurate.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the LD and her crew.
SC
Old 11-06-2013, 09:46   #322

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

LadyDomina drop the anchor about 400 meters from the Sandy ground bridge entrance between the hotel and the bridge, far away from the crowd .... as far i remember...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32   #323

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I can not see the importance of knowing EXACTLY where LD was anchored 31 March before her departure. No comparison with Google Earth is possible as the last map update was in 2005. We already HAVE 100% confirmation from other boats which saw her leave and even talked with Katie on the VHF.

Tore
Old 11-06-2013, 13:18   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
I can not see the importance of knowing EXACTLY where LD was anchored 31 March before her departure. No comparison with Google Earth is possible as the last map update was in 2005. We already HAVE 100% confirmation from other boats which saw her leave and even talked with Katie on the VHF.

Tore
I don't think he is talking about Google Earth.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:04   #325
cruiser

That is why you have me! Ikonos may be willing to provide an image if they have it. What would be the coordinates for our search, keeping Blue Pelican's transmission in mind?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:06   #326

Can someone confirm to me that everyone on our Lady Dom had USA B2 Visas?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07   #327
cruiser

This is our post today for Lady Domina. As each day passes we hope to wake up to the wonderful news the yacht had been found!

Sailing Savoir Faire: Our Best Wishes For Lady Domina
Old 12-06-2013, 06:01   #328

I understand the Blue Dolphin was in a position South Eastern of Puerto Rico which means 35 nm from San Juan. The average range of a 5 watt hand-held VHF is around 5-10 nm with a clear view to the horizon. This call was overheard OVERLAND from the coastguard station,using a powerful VHF with an elevated antenna. I am surprised they could hear ANYTHING at all from LD at that distance which must have been within 5-10 nm of San Juan at the time.

Tore
Old 12-06-2013, 06:10   #329

Puerto Rico - Formalities

Clearance

Fly the Q flag on entering Purto Rican waters.
It is necessary to clear in with both Customs and with Immigration.
All boats arriving from outside the territory must contact the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immediately.
The telephone number to report arrival is 1-877-529-6840 or (787) 729-6840. Seven days a week: 08:00 to 24:00. Outside these hours: (787) 253-4533 or (787) 253-4538.

Only the capatain is permitted got go ashore, if necessary, to report arrival.
All yachts (including American yachts) coming from the US Virgin Islands must report their arrival in Puerto Rico. The whole crew must visit the CBP officer, although US boats can report by telephone only if they are part of the Local Boater Option programme. See Customs for details.
There is an entry fee to pay if you come to Puerto Rico (see "Fees" below for details). If you do not have a cruising permit (see "Documents" below for details), you will have to pay this entry fee in every harbour.
It is also necessary to also phone the freephone number when moving from one district to another. A personal visit will not be required unless departing Puerto Rico.
There are four districts, North, South, East, and West. The East district is based in Fajardo and covers Puerto Rico East coast and the Spanish Virgin Islands.

Departure
A departure Zarpe is available if one is required for your next port of call.
After you clear out, you have 48 hours to leave Puerto Rico.
Non-US nationals must return the immigration docket in their passports, issued on arrival, but this can be done by post.
There is more detail on security and clearance measures on the Noonsite USA/Customs pages.
Last updated January 2013.

Raul Santiago (Rolling Thunder)
Tel787) 519-3177
rollingthunder9704@yahoo.com
A useful contact if wishing to clear in at one of the unofficial Ports of Entry in the west of PR (Puerto Real or Boquerón, Cabo Rojo).

SSCA Cruising Station Host (Thomas Cordero) , Puerto Rico
Tel:787) 691-3536
discoverybaypr@gmail.com
Tom is a helpful contact for information about Puerto Rico.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21   #330

This is what I don't understand Tore. Noonsite says, and we know this to be a fact, "All non-US nationals must take passports with valid visas." Without a B2 Visa the Immigration people will not let you in on a yacht, in fact they get very stroppy about it. These Visas must be obtained prior to arriving in the USA by applying to a US Embassy and they last for 10 years under most circumstances. Sooo, if our boys and girls didn't have Visas, how did they "arrive" in Puerto Rico?
Closed Thread