Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 08:17   #346
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37
Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Keith Current said he had Kati's banking information whcih he would give to the family. Suggest contact him and ask him to check her statements, if she was getting them by mail. Check to see if there are any charges after march 31.
Old 13-06-2013, 08:19   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
In my opinion,the LD is either down there in Davey Jones locker,having encountered the storm SW of the Azores around 24 April, OR she is now far away on her way to the Shetland Islands approaching Aalesund and the fish farm he recently aquired.

What is strange is that the friends of Oeyvind and Katie has been told the trip would take around TWO MONTHS whilst the crew and families have been told 14 days to the Azores and ditto to Aalesund,i.e. ONE MONTH.

I think we should shift the search from the Caribbean to the NW part of the Norwegian Sea and ask the Norwegian coastguard to be on the alert for her arrival.

Tore
I know Stian (from on board 'S/Y TIME OUT' on the ARC crossing in Dec.) Has I live in Ålesund I will be keeping a lookout. As I did on the crossing from St Maarten to the Azores, last month, again on 'S/Y TIME OUT'
Old 13-06-2013, 08:22   #348
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Actually it is Kieth Chipping. I sent him a message to see if he can help us.

Tim
Old 13-06-2013, 08:45   #349

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Indeed, a Mercruiser 220 diesel burns about 2 gallons an hour a 2000rpms; that's about 1000 hours motoring if the set out with the full 2000 gallons of fuel LD's tanks could hold. That's not enough to get them to Ireland without stopping to refuel somewhere along the way--Halifax, Iceland, New England if they are following the Gulf Stream. If they have run out of fuel or have had engine trouble, they could easily be adrift somewhere. Where, we have no idea because they have no way of letting anyone know unless they can raise a ship passing close enough to hear a distress call on the VHF. With only the two headsails and no main, they won't go very fast and will probably have a lot of weather helm.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:05   #350
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

These just gets stranger. I have never "checked out" of the US. I did sail to Puerto Rico once in 1995, called customs and told them we came direct from Florida, no clearance involved. Not sure these days, but I would imagine there is no outward clearance procedure.

How could this boat have had only one sail???? I can't possibly see how anyone would put to see on a 75' boat rigged for sailing with only one sail to cross the Atlantic? They could well be anywhere, still afloat with a sail in tatters and a buggered engine.

Hope it rains where they are and they can catch fish. Can we get the movie rights?
Old 13-06-2013, 10:41   #351

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

For a US citizen going direct from Florida to Puerto Rico, it is much like going from state to state in the US--no need to check in or out. For a non US citizen coming from a non-US island, or a US citizen coming from a non-US territory, then one must or should go through customs.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:57   #352
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

How could this boat have had only one sail???? I can't possibly see how anyone would put to see on a 75' boat rigged for sailing with only one sail to cross the Atlantic? They could well be anywhere, still afloat with a sail in tatters and a buggered engine.
IIRC the "information" on the boat only having one sail came from OP and was based on a photo (from a few months(?) back) that did not show a mainsail on the boom. If that is all their is then IMO a far cry from being a fact.

In regard to fuel, given that the Skipper does seem to have been on a budget it would surprise me if he went for motoring all the way given that whilst his boat would not be winning too many races she does have an adequate sail plan to go transat. Not to say that she could not have loaded on additional fuel (bladders / Jerry cans), but seems little point.

A fair chance that they have gone the motorsailing route (in less than favourable wind areas) and that progress slower than anticipated (and a lot of waiting for wind / tacking) - of course would help if someone knew (for a fact, not as a supposition or WAG!) where they were heading to. Some logic in going to the UK direct (if heading for Norway)........
Old 13-06-2013, 11:34   #353

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Given the fact that a liferaft was spotted in search area,yet no other trace of vessel at all,nor any vhf comm. or sighting,with the many ships at sea.The outlook is rather bleak.Horror stories of bilge pumps that can't keep up to incoming water come into mind.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:14   #354

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I´ve sent a fax request for any information re LD´s visit to San Juan to the Club Nautico De San Juan located in the marina and next to the anchorage area. I asked them if they could also check with the Coastguard re the 5 Apr and 5 May VHF reports.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-13-16-03-54.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	62469   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Juan entrance.png
Views:	209
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	62470  

Old 13-06-2013, 14:29   #355
TQA

Boat: Ryton 38 steel called Carpe Diem [ SOLD ]

I have a picture of the LD taken in Rodney Bay St Lucia on the 2nd November 2012 according to the date record on the pic, however my memory says it might have been March 2013. I have a I high res version but my poor connection restricts me to a low res version just now.

It looks like there were two headsails.

Sorry about the other pic of the spi wrap, it has nothing to do with the LD.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MISC ST LUCIA & SVG 019.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	62476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodney and Marigot Bay 006.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	62477  

Old 13-06-2013, 14:41   #356

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

And here,in 2004 she has stanchions and safety wires. When were they removed I wonder,there were NONE two days departure. Still flying the South African flag in the main stay??

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lady Domina-L.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	62479  
Old 13-06-2013, 14:50   #357

David has a good point. Do we know for sure LD did not have a full outfit of sails? In photos it looks like she has a boom furler with built in rigid cover for the main. If this is the case she could have a mainsail, but it would not be visible unless deployed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNzyliB3x...0/IMG_7186.jpg

A mainsail and one or two headsails would make a trip to the UK or Norway riding the Gulf Stream and taking advantage of the Westerlies feasible for a motor sailor such as the LD. There is so much conflicting information that it is difficult to make things add up.
Old 13-06-2013, 14:56   #358

She's never had a main sail as long as we've known her.
Old 13-06-2013, 15:19   #359

Ok then. If that is the case then I would say her skipper is something of a risk taker, to put it politely. Island hopping in the tropics with only a diesel engine and one or two headsails is one thing, but a transatlantic crossing thus equipped is entirely another in my humble opinion.
Old 13-06-2013, 15:23   #360
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Id was inclined to think the same thing...

until I took a step back to consider that a trawler doesn't have a sail either, and makes about the same speed and uses a single prop.

It ain't a Nordhavn with a spare engine, I know. But its possible for a motor sailor like this to navigate open waters in a similar manner, is it?
Closed Thread