Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 04:46   #1

Boat: Amel 50
NAIS 500 Transceiver Dead

Our B&G NAIS 500 stopped receiving / transmitting a few weeks ago. Usually this happens when it loses the GPS fix and, per another thread, rebooting resolves it.

In this case, NONE of the indicator lights are on, including the green power light. I tested power and confirmed the proper voltage is being delivered to the unit’s power & data cable. So, unless the power & data cable failed (I can’t get voltmeter leads into the tiny holes at the other end of that cable and there’s no documentation about which of the 12 pins receive the power), it looks like the unit is fried.

It’s three years old, and is mounted in a dry, protected location below decks.

The dealer has become non-responsive so I’m trying to figure this out myself. Before spending $750 for a new unit (it’s out of warranty), a few questions:
- Has this happened to anybody else?
- Is there any other troubleshooting I should try?
- is it possible the cable failed, rather than the unit itself (and do you know the PIN configuration)?

Thanks!

Tags
ais