Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2021, 10:22   #16

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer
Re: Nav aids from the beginning

I have lots of used IT equipment.
I started by installing OpenCPN on a MacBook because it's light and not my main laptop. The idea was to take it when crewing on other people's boats..
Now I have a Raspberry Pi (RPi) that will be installing on my new/old boat.
I can connect any wifi device (like my Samsung phone) to the RPi so no wires to the cockpit and the phone is waterproof...
Old 19-03-2021, 10:40   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

You would be best served long term to get a MARINE GPS as you will, at some point, go where there is no cell reception. Simplicity at this point is important to you so just buying a handheld Garmin or other would be straightforward and a backup for whatever you use on your own boat eventually.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 10:54   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
You would be best served long term to get a MARINE GPS as you will, at some point, go where there is no cell reception. Simplicity at this point is important to you so just buying a handheld Garmin or other would be straightforward and a backup for whatever you use on your own boat eventually.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
At least for Android (I am not an iOS user), you do NOT need "cell reception" for its GPS to work!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 14:10   #19

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
At least for Android (I am not an iOS user), you do NOT need "cell reception" for its GPS to work!
To be fair, because I've been reading up on this, some of the cheaper Android tablets use Cellular triangulated GPS instead of "real" GPS.

I didn't know that but now I do.

I do have a Samsung S9. I guess I can download Open CPN onto it and play with that since it seems simple enough to do. Of course, I'm not going to say I can actually do that, just saying it seems simple.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 14:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
To be fair, because I've been reading up on this, some of the cheaper Android tablets use Cellular triangulated GPS instead of "real" GPS.

I didn't know that but now I do.

I do have a Samsung S9. I guess I can download Open CPN onto it and play with that since it seems simple enough to do. Of course, I'm not going to say I can actually do that, just saying it seems simple.
hmmm... I've had at least 8 Androids (phones to tablets). EVERYone had "real" GPS. So these "cheap" Androids must be real cheap (and not really an Android, since so many - - too many - - apps on Play require GPS...). Perhaps an Amazon Fire (which isn't really an Android - - can't access the Play store).

Definitely the S9 has GPS and will be fine for OpenCPN, although as a phone its screen isn't the best for navigation. But good for trying out OpenCPN etc. Note that there is a small 1-time fee for the Android version of OpenCPN; it is worth it (you can load on to multiple devices).
Old 19-03-2021, 15:21   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
You would be best served long term to get a MARINE GPS as you will, at some point, go where there is no cell reception.
Bad advise based on a couple of inaccuracies/ misconceptions

1. There's no such thing as a "Marine GPS".

There are several Global Navigation Satelitte Systems (GNSSs) including the US GPS, (Global Positioning System) but GPS is frequently used as the generic name for all such systems or satellites and receivers. GPS/GNSS receivers are fairly simple chips which receive and interpret the GPS signals

These chips are now embedded in all sorts of devices including chartplotters intended for marine use and a huge range of other consumer devices such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, handheld "GPS devices" etc, etc. I suspect the MJH is actually talking about a Chartplotter such as one of the Garmin handhelds or semi-portable plotters (You wouldn't want to get a fixed installation chartplotter or GPS enabled autopilot at this stage ).

2. There is no need to be in cell phone coverage for any device which uses a real GNSS receiver and appropriate software (a number of Apple devices being a classic example of crippleware in this respect - I can't think of any others offhand.)

I often use OpenCPN on a laptop and Navionics on tablets and smartphones hundreds of miles from the nearest cell service.

For the laptop, all you need is a simple GPS receiver . That can be a built in one, a linked smartphone/tablet, a handheld plotter such as a Garmin handheld or a cheap "puck" receiver connected via USB.

Do you have SatNav in your vehicle? If so and you are using it, you''re already halfway there.

My advice would be to start off installing Navionics on whatever android device you currently have and play around with that.

Once you are familiar with the basic concepts, you could also instal OpenCPN on a computer and play with it (You don't ned a GPS connection for route planning or using it in "demonstration mode"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 19:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Go simple. iPad or android tablet with Navionics or aqua-maps depending on which charts for where you are going. Choose another app if you like but on a tablet is easy for jumping onto a charter. Definitely look at OpenCPN for your own boat but for now I think you will find the traditional apps more intuitive. IMO. If you go the iPad route be sure to get one that has cell even if you don’t get a plan for it. They are the only ones that have built in GPS. There are external dongles but from your description a tablet with everything you need seems the better route. Again, IMO.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 19:52   #23

Some of you guys are hilarious! You have an admitted neophyte here, with almost zero IT knowledge from his statements, wanting to look at basic charts, or maybe a “tablet” chart plotter - and I’m reading recommendations for OpenCPN and RaspberryPi!! 🤣🤣 (yes - for someone with some technology skills - not bad. But...🤣

iNavX is the easiest app and highest rated (way higher than even Navionics in the App Store). Comes with FREE NOAA charts (you have to pay for Navionics). Let them start there and start playing and learning.

Just my 2 cents
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 22:46   #24

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
I have nada, zip, nothing in the way of navigational aids. I will be buying the "binder" of our local charts one I get into ASA103 in a week or so, but other than that, I don't have anything.

I would like to have my own navigational device, even though the charter boats I'll be using will have their on-board plotter
Don't think of it as redundant, you have no idea what charts might be loaded on the plotter or how old they are. While they will most likely be fine, the main reason I'd fire up a charter boat plotter is for the radar (if present).

The core of my analog nav bundle is a roll of pencils, plastic eraser, dividers, and a pair of triangles. Add in some 3M sticky flags, a tide booklet, purple pen, etc as you like.

My electronics are my Macbook air, an iPad Pro in waterproof case, and my iPhone. What combination of those I bring depends on the trip; I use the same software on all three, and any chart annotations are also copied across them.

For you, the various apps people mentioned should work fine on Android. I suggest starting with one or two of them to get some confidence and familiarity, and then you can load up OpenCPN if you want to explore. I don't mind that it doesn't run on iPad because part of why I went Apple was to minimize tinkering.

As for RNC vs ENC, you will develop your own preferences. RNCs are lovely; laid out by hand, but all you see is all there is. ENCs are intended to be interactive, and without that understanding they will feel lacking.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 01:08   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Just a thought, before you spend any money, have a play with

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 01:55   #26

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Doesn’t matter where you cruise ,nothing I mean nothing beats a good hand bearing compass ,then learn to use it .⛵️⚓️👍
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 02:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Doesn’t matter where you cruise, nothing - I mean nothing - beats a good hand-bearing compass. Then learn to use it .⛵️⚓️👍
+1 What Searles said!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:49   #28
Marine Service Provider

When I charter or use my own boat, I take along both my small lap top (with a separate GPS) antenna along with my Samsung tablet equipped with OpenCPN and C-Map charts. I also use Google Earth extensively especially in unfamiliar waters. I lay out the entire trip on OpenCPN and duplicate it on Google Earth. You would be amazed at how many shallow water obstacles show up on Google Earth along your planned routes. Ok, I'll add an extra mile or two to my shoreline setback.

When a Rolex Round the World boat piled into a shoal in the Indian Ocean at night a few years back I located that obstacle on Google Earth. I zoomed over 2,000 miles (not feet) straight up into outer space and that shoal was still visible. WTF guys, use everything you've got, especially at night. I know you had continuous satellite internet access.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
When I charter or use my own boat, I take along both my small lap top (with a separate GPS) antenna along with my Samsung tablet equipped with OpenCPN and C-Map charts.
OpenCPN and C-Map? I think you mean CM93
Old 20-03-2021, 14:00   #30

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Doesn’t matter where you cruise ,nothing I mean nothing beats a good hand bearing compass ,then learn to use it .⛵️⚓️👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+1 What Searles said!

LittleWing77
Around here I don't really need a compass. All I have to do is head east and I know for a fact that I'll hit dirt at some point no matter what my compass heading is.

Which way is east, you ask? A quick look at that big glowing yellow ball in the sky is all I need to do to know that.

Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote