Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2021, 12:04   #1

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Nav aids from the beginning

I have nada, zip, nothing in the way of navigational aids. I will be buying the "binder" of our local charts one I get into ASA103 in a week or so, but other than that, I don't have anything.

I would like to have my own navigational device, even though the charter boats I'll be using will have their on-board plotter, for 2 reasons:

1. Redundancy is king.

2. I will be buying my own boat some day (highly likely but still a maybe) and will need something then. Being totally familiar with my own navigational display will be a plus at that point.

So, beginning at the beginning, I'm thinking of a tablet for this. Something like a Samsung with a 10" screen and built in GPS instead of cellular GPS.

But, where do I go from there?
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:10   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Nav aids from the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
I have nada, zip, nothing in the way of navigational aids. I will be buying the "binder" of our local charts one I get into ASA103 in a week or so, but other than that, I don't have anything.

I would like to have my own navigational device, even though the charter boats I'll be using will have their on-board plotter, for 2 reasons:

1. Redundancy is king.

2. I will be buying my own boat some day (highly likely but still a maybe) and will need something then. Being totally familiar with my own navigational display will be a plus at that point.

So, beginning at the beginning, I'm thinking of a tablet for this. Something like a Samsung with a 10" screen and built in GPS instead of cellular GPS.

But, where do I go from there?
Cue/Queue the many differing recommendations...

Vote here for OpenCPN on Android (you said Samsung; PC versions also great).

Some say OpenCPN is hard-to-learn (not my experience), but most agree that once basics are learned, it's a great full-featured (!) application.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nav aids from the beginning

An old Windows laptop, Nimble Navigator program and a WiFi link to your cockpit tablet and your good to go..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 04:14   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

We primarily use AquaMaps (USA, Master) on Android devices for this.

We also have iSailor and MXMariner for backup to the backup... and there are several other similar options folks here will recommend.

-Chris
Old 19-03-2021, 04:23   #5

Don't worry too much about this.

If you really want, get an app on your tablet / phone with a decently cheap set of maps (For the USA that's about all of them starting with Navionics) or use OpenCPN on an old laptop.

The key's not to invest into something which will end up being outdated quilckly. Development have been and still are quite rapid in this area for the past 5 years.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 04:30   #6

Boat: X442

INavX on an iPad?
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 04:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I find that OpenCPN (laptop or android tablet) and/ or Navionics (Android tablet/phone) covers all my requirements on my own and other boats

I can get by quite comfortably with just Navionics on a smartphone if I need to.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 07:17   #8

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Don't worry too much about this.

If you really want, get an app on your tablet / phone with a decently cheap set of maps (For the USA that's about all of them starting with Navionics) or use OpenCPN on an old laptop.

The key's not to invest into something which will end up being outdated quilckly. Development have been and still are quite rapid in this area for the past 5 years.
Query:

If I use an old laptop for this, then I'm either lugging that monster on/off the boat and having it rattle around the cockpit, or I have to lug the monster and a tablet.

Then there's the fact that I must be a luddite or something because I have no idea how to WiFi connect the tablet to the laptop. I know I can probably use a cord to connect them, but now I have tripwires running through the cockpit. If I use WiFi to connect the 2 devices, does this mean that I now have to cart the laptop, the tablet, and some sort of WiFi router to/from the boat?

I'm serious, I have no idea how to do any of this and am starting to believe that crayons and paper charts are the answer I'm looking for.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 07:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Query:

If I use an old laptop for this, then I'm either lugging that monster on/off the boat and having it rattle around the cockpit, or I have to lug the monster and a tablet.

Then there's the fact that I must be a luddite or something because I have no idea how to WiFi connect the tablet to the laptop. I know I can probably use a cord to connect them, but now I have tripwires running through the cockpit. If I use WiFi to connect the 2 devices, does this mean that I now have to cart the laptop, the tablet, and some sort of WiFi router to/from the boat?

I'm serious, I have no idea how to do any of this and am starting to believe that crayons and paper charts are the answer I'm looking for.
Its called Bluetooth..
WiFi connection is simple considering the laptop and tablet are likely less than 10ft apart.. no need for a router.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 19-03-2021, 07:46   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

Not sure why some are suggesting you need to use TWO devices (laptop and tablet). An Android tablet (or even smartphone, though the screen is kinda small) in the cockpit is enough.

(Although I would agree that a backup system is very important in case of failure. So a 2nd tablet or a smartphone or a laptop as backup.)

If you are only cruising in the USA, NOAA electronic charts are free (and easy to keep up-to-date, which is not so easy for paper charts).

I prefer NOAA/CHS raster charts (just like the paper charts), useable by several apps including OpenCPN, in contrast to how charts are displayed by Navionics. It's a personal preference. Of course, you can have BOTH on your tablet (as I do).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 07:55   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Suggest a Windows Tablet ($200-500) and OpenCPN (free). Gives the most flexibility and the best software upgrade path on a single device.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 07:55   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

I assume you already have a smart phone. I would start out by trying a few apps on that to see what you like. I use both OpenCPN and Navionics on my tablet. The charts on Navionics are better, and it has crowd sourced information in anchorages, marinas, etc. The overall feature set on OpenCPN is better, routes, waypoints, AIS etc are all much better on OpenCPN.
Old 19-03-2021, 08:28   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

If you get both an iPad and an Android pad, you have soooo many choices. I have Aquamap, Navionics, and the Garmin mobile app that talks to my secondary Garmin chartplotter. Anything that's free, I download and play with to see if I like it. I've bought Navionics charts, and some Garmin (Bahamas) beyond what came with the unit.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 08:58   #14

Quote:
I'd go either/or and keep the laptop / tablet under deck at the nav-station and not in the cockpit. Generations of sailors could navigate without electronic nanny checking all the time.

You check your next marks, navigate there by sight, compass and depth-sounder (avoid navigating by sound) and then check the next waypoints.

Except in very complicated waters you should avoid as a beginner anyway, that's good enough.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 09:06   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^^^^
How I do it, but today folks like a screen to play with in the cockpit..
You could carry a paper chart for referall/refresh on visible nav markings.. assuming your going to be in local (50nm)waters for the foreseeable future.