Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 19:22   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Navigating to Nantucket from the South

I want to sail from North Carolina to Nantucket. I had intended to sail the rhumb, but then I looked at the charts and saw what a maze of shoals it is around Nantucet. One comment I read indicated the best route is to sail between Martha's Vineyard and the Cape and then bend around the northeast side of the Vineyard to get to Nantucket. This looks like it makes the most sense. Clearly I don't want to go east of Nantucket. And if I go east of the Vineyard and then take the channel between the two islands, that looks pretty dicey. Anybody have an opinion on this?
Teaticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 06:23   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Navigating to Nantucket from the South

In calm seas it is fine. If in doubt, go around the Vineyard. There are strong currents in the Sound, so factor them into the passage time for the last 10 miles.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 07:29   #3

Interesting, there was a similar discussion about this area recently. The pilgrims were turned around after entering Nantucket Sound through either Pollack Rip Channel or Great Round Shoal Channel.

I would not traverse Muskeget Channel (between Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket). Once through, you're snaking through Hawes Shoal, Long Shoal and Tuckernuck Shoals. All are poorly marked on a North/South Route.

The best way to enter is via Martha's Vineyard sound. Then run south of Hedge Fence, then follow the 'Main Channel' (south of Horseshoe Shoal, then turn South toward Nantucket at G "1" on the east end of Tuckernuck shoal.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 08:34   #4

Muskeget Channel between the Vineyard and Nantucket is not difficult in daylight in typical settled summer weather. Best to choose an incoming tide. If the weather is nice and not too foggy, once last Muskeget Island you can turn sharply to port and go along the northern Nantucket shore to the harbor entrance. Otherwise continue north to Green 21A.

But a much more common landfall is Block Island (although avoid the crowded summer weekends - it is a zoo.). Again, arrive in daylight as you’ll have to wind through a hundred moored boats with no anchor lights to find a spot. From Block you have lovely day sails usually with nice SW sea breezes with wonderful stops at Cuttyhunk, Tarpaulin Cove (where JFK used to anchor), Vineyard Haven, and onto Nantucket. You could even tack on Newport.

Brace yourself for the summer scene in Nantucket. Ashore is mobbed with tourists disgorged by frequent huge ferries. Mega yachts dominate the shore. Moorings are $65 and best reserved a month in advance as all 200 are often taken. Anchoring is difficult with lots off current, little space and very poor holding. Call the harbor master and ask for advice but be braced to be told that there‘s no anchoring available. Off-season it’s much better.

Unless your heart is set on Nantucket, I would go straight to Maine for some of the best cruising in the world. It’s an easy overnight sail from the Cape Cod Canal.

Finally, don’t attempt rounding Hatteras without a great weather forecast. Take the ICW or wait in Beaufort. It used to be called the Cape of Storms for a reason.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:23   #5

Boat: Tiara Open 36

For those not experienced in Vineyard/Nantucket waters, I absolutely agree with
Shrew's advice. Do not try Muskeget channel. Vineyard Sound to Nantucket Sound has some currents and a few thin spots to be careful about, but generally a straightforward route. As you enter Vineyard Sound, Menemsha is a good option for a guest slip or offshore mooring. Edgartown is a good stop for moorings or anchorage - no slips. For sure, reserve ahead for a Nantucket mooring. But, if necessary, I've anchored very comfortably in Nantucket harbor several times. Fair winds!
NewportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 13:26   #6

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Stop in Cuttyhunk at the western tip of the Elizabeth Islands for great Lobster delivered to your boat along with other local seafood fare. Then as Shrew says go around between the Vineyard and the Cape to Nantucket. Wait at Cuttyhunk for a favorable weather / fog window and Time the tides!!! If time allows stop in Edgartown along the way.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket