Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 17:57   #16

Re: Navigation Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
Over here in Australia we have goverment colleges that offer maritime theory courses. The country being so vast with population living sometimes thousands of miles from the Tech college they offer correspondence courses in whatever subject you are interested in.

I did that very thing 25 years ago working as I did in those days 1500 miles away on a gold mine in the Great Sandy Desert! You can work at your own pace and submit assigments by post for marking and comments by the lecturer. I ejoyed it and passed with distinction!
Waaaay of topic here but i was in Telfer 86/87....

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Thank you everyone. I didn't think the celestial navigation would be useful, so much as just fun. It would just be another week with an instructor to get more comfortable being out of sight of land and doing something different. Since neither my husband nor I have been out on the ocean by ourselves -- alone (cruises and charter dive boats don't count) it will take awhile for me to let go of the nervousness. And, that is the last instruction we would do. Need to get basic navigation first. Appreciate everyone sending me in the right direction for classes.
Again, thank you.
That’s correct, start with the basics and as you progress all the rest will make sense....

Some see Celestial Nav/Chart work as a bit of a chore, I on the other hand have a passion for old school nav that i draw pleasure from. I also have GPS/Chart plotters/AIS/Weather Fax and a bunch of other electronic wizardry, after all they are all aids to navigation and you cannot have to many, but NONE give me the satisfaction of using my own brain to put me where i want to be, it's also a great confidence builder.

The above is not intended as an old v new statement, i firmly believe a place exists for both, but IMHO i do believe there should be a correct progression in the learning process, and you seem to have that one figured out already....

Have fun with it and good luck...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 09:33   #17

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Again thank you everyone.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 09:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What is navigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
... Everything changes so damn fast the old idea of having to know the basics to have a depth of understanding doesn't seem to apply anymore...
... Personally, I'm uncomfortable with that, but I'm an old bastard trying to live in a modern world...
I also.
Since the advent of small, convenient, accurate, and cheap calculators; there’s no absolute need to understand basic arithmetic - but it sure helps.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 10:01   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

If you are land bound get a topographical map of your area a compass and lean orienteering, its much harder than marine navigation, there is all this stuff in the way, Navigation is Navigation. Also celestial is great to learn the stars and planets and become more aware of your place in the world, but a couple of $40 handheld GPS units and the ability to plot a long and lat on a chart will be your most basis navigation system, and if the satellites should all fall out of the sky you have a bigger problem than where you are to worry about. Don’t worry, just get out and do it. I do keep a copy of “Bowditch” THE AMERICAN PRACTICAL NAVIGATOR aboard.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 12:34   #20
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

If you want Bowditch on your computer (.pdf), and don't mind an old version (2002) -

Download here ==> Navigation

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 13:59   #21

Boat: Leopard 40

I'm in a situation much like yours. Live in Phoenix, taken ASA 101 to 104, bareboat charter out of San Diego for the past year so I can apply what I've learned. I felt I needed additional information on navigation and I found that www.nauticed.com offered online courses that were helpful and at a reasonable price. I've taked a few couses so far with the most informative being coastal navigation. I haven't yet nailed down set & drift, but I've have a week coming up with an instructor on a catamaran and I hope to connect the dots then.

I'm the type that learns best with a combination of classroom and hands-on. The on-line classes have helped to reinforce some of the gaps I know I have and fulfills the need to learn more when I have to go several weeks between sailing.

Good luck!
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 14:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also the free online Navigation Course:

Advanced navigation courses - sailing schools Greece and the Greek islands

http : //www . sailingissues.com/navcourse0.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags