Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2021, 15:37   #61

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Navigation on a Tablet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post

The problem I've found with a big tablet is working out where to put it. At a funny angle on the cockpit table? Propped up under the dodger? Do you bring a universal mount to be able to attach it to some existing railing? (Hmm... that might be a good idea for a Catalina or Pearson...)
I have two removable clamp-on mounts - - small one for phone and larger one for tablet (only use one at a time) - - which I can clamp on to my binnacle guard tubing, all under a bimini.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 16:32   #62

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
...Takeaway: avoid Navionics.
This ^^^^^^
Old 21-11-2021, 22:39   #63

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Navigation on a Tablet Question

I find the Quadlock system great for phones but they don’t make a tablet mount.

I do, however, usually just leave my phone in my pocket for occasionally checking the route and progress.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 05:45   #64

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
This ^^^^^^
Wingsail, Auspicious

Is Garmin Bluechart G3 superior to Navionics? I have to decide between these options as they come packaged with either the Garmin 742+ or the Axiom 7 respectively (the devices I'm considering for purchase).
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 06:50   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Some $BIGCORP practices have spilled over into my non-work habits. One is around software updates; where possible I try to do them when I will have plenty of time after to test and sort out problems. E.g. VMWare no longer working after an OS update. I'll probably put up a separate post tomorrow on how this thinking can relate to navigation.

Regarding devices in the cockpit...

When I was first looking at tablets I considered an iPad Air, more an over-sized phone than a tablet. I ended up going much bigger, but for practical purposes when at the helm I've found it far more convenient to be able to pull out my phone. A big tablet is useful for people to gather around at a table, or if you have a mount for it.

The problem I've found with a big tablet is working out where to put it. At a funny angle on the cockpit table? Propped up under the dodger? Do you bring a universal mount to be able to attach it to some existing railing? (Hmm... that might be a good idea for a Catalina or Pearson...)
We use RAM Mounts as a universal mounting system everywhere.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 07:30   #66

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Still seems like a Toughbook would be ideal for you. A small penalty of weight vs added usability in your situations
I dove into the Panasonic Toughbook options, since I'm some years out of date from corporate IT. I'm just not impressed. Big, heavy, not very powerful. I don't need to add weight to my kit.

Quote:
One is around software updates; where possible I try to do them when I will have plenty of time after to test and sort out problems.
Strongly agree.

Like you my mission critical functions (beyond chartplotters) are on a laptop and a phone. The only use case for my tablet is watching movies. That could change if I eschew chartplotters and didn't move from boat to boat. Still, overheating problems, charging issues, mounts, not bright enough in day or dim enough at night.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 10:10   #67

Subsequent to calls to support for both Garmin and Navionics I've decided to go with Garmin as updates are optional and features such as tide and current data don't expire and blank out if the system is not updated annually on schedule. Not so for Navionics which requires an ongoing annual subscription for all features to remain intact. When pressed why sometimes the charts disappear on expiry, the Navionics support said "there could be multiple reasons". 'Nuff said.
Old 22-11-2021, 12:41   #68

Boat: Hunter 36

The problem with using your phone/tablet/laptop instead of a built in chartplotter is rain. Even if you have a bimini, rain is still going to blow in from the sides. So if you use a tablet, either get a good waterproof case for it, or go the cheap route. You can get a cheap android tablet for 100 bucks.

I found Navionics very good, but I prefer C-Map myself, because of the night time color feature.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 13:05   #69

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Subsequent to calls to support for both Garmin and Navionics I've decided to go with Garmin as updates are optional and features such as tide and current data don't expire and blank out if the system is not updated annually on schedule. Not so for Navionics which requires an ongoing annual subscription for all features to remain intact. When pressed why sometimes the charts disappear on expiry, the Navionics support said "there could be multiple reasons". 'Nuff said.

Note that Garmin owns Navionics.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 13:58   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Note that Garmin owns Navionics.
Duly noted; and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Garmin support had no info about Navionics, and vice versa; Navionics claims to be an independent company. However, Garmin does acknowledge they have employed the Navionics data in Bluechart G3.

Tags
navigation