Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 04:05   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy, Monsun, 31'
Navionics app for iPad phased out

My Navionics app was phasing out on my old iPad.

In order to make a fresh start, I deleted the old version, with the intent to download the new one. Not a smart move. App Store now tells me that my iPad is too old. I'm stuck.

Does anyone know how I can get my old app back without buying a newer iPad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-12 080257.png
Views:	142
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	260841  
Martin Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:12   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Navionics app for iPad phased out

You will need the old app AND the chart data in the old format. That is even more complicated.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:18   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

If you haven't backed it up since installing a new application, go to settings, and restore your iPad to the previous working version.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
If you haven't backed it up since installing a new application, go to settings, and restore your iPad to the previous working version.
But I never installed a new app, just stupidly deleted the old one. Can you explain a little more in detail?
Old 12-07-2022, 06:53   #5

Do you back up your iPad? Either to your computer, or the the iCloud? If so just restore it to the state before you deleted the app. If you need detailed instructions on how to restore, google is your friend.

If you don’t back up your iPad…. Ooops. You can take heart that you will serve as a warning to others.

Issues around Updates and obsolescence are one of the risks you take using a general purpose computer for a mission critical function like navigation.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Do you back up your iPad? Either to your computer, or the the iCloud? If so just restore it to the state before you deleted the app. If you need detailed instructions on how to restore, google is your friend.

If you don’t back up your iPad…. Ooops. You can take heart that you will serve as a warning to others.

Issues around Updates and obsolescence are one of the risks you take using a general purpose computer for a mission critical function like navigation.
It backed it self up after I deleted the app. Would there be an older backup to be found?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:05   #7

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

You may be able to restore the old app, but as far as I know you won’t be able to update (or even install any of) your charts.
Better bite the bullit and buy yourself a new iPad.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:21   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis/Moorings 445
Smile Re: Navionics app for iPad phased out

I couldn't download the newer version of Navionics when I tried after adding a Vesper Cortex AIS to my boat's electronics. So I bought a new Ipad. I now have a Model MD510LL/A Ipad for sale with Version 10.3.3 software loaded onto it for sale. It has a brand new screen, waterproof case and separate 'Finti" brand leather cover with keypad. It has the latest Navionics software version I could download on it. Its all for sale for $99. plus shipping. It all works fine, but as has been said, you can't get any updates from the app store on it anymore.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:42   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sigge View Post
It backed it self up after I deleted the app. Would there be an older backup to be found?
If you have AppleCare, I almost guarantee you Apple can get it back for you.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:55   #10

Once the software vendor decides to EOL a product, there are various things you can do to keep your instance alive, including various hacks to fool the software and/or the operating system about what version of each you are running, etc., but at the end of the day, it's a holding action against inevitable demise. Stuff stops working. New content (in this case chart updates) aren't supported well if at all. And so forth. Friendly software vendors tend to help you here, by, for example, maintaining old versions and allowing you to download them, but, eventually, even this breaks down. Eventually it's time to buy new stuff. You might be at that point with Navionics.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Expect more problems from Navionics since Garmin bought the company.

I bought one Garmin product and it was a handheld GPS that the interface was designed upside down. Then they wanted over 400 euros for a chart? and I couldn't download the chart, I was told I would have to wait three days to get a card.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 14:04   #12

Boat: Pearson 30

The iPad five and newer edition should be able to load Navionics. Part of the issue is that Apple will no longer support software for older versions of iPad.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 16:02   #13

Take a look on Ebay, iPads a couple generations out are surprisingly cheap. I had a similar issue with some aviation software and found that if I valued my time and frustration at all it was far cheaper to just buy a used iPad a few years old.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 19:57   #14

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sigge View Post
But I never installed a new app, just stupidly deleted the old one. Can you explain a little more in detail?
You should be able to go to settings....backup....restore backup and pick a backup file.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 20:15   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

And if the old app is still on the store you should be able to download the old previous version if the vendor hasn’t removed it

There have been times I couldn’t get the old version on a new device but the App Store knew I owned the old version

All depends on the vendor

Tags
Ipad, navionics