Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2023, 08:14   #31

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Navionics just updated their terms to limited logged users to two per account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Position data and time Stamp is what puts your boat exactly on the map where you are. Core functionality of that software, nothing intrusive or illegal at all. And easy to implement that 5nm limit even in offline use as this comes from GPS which is still on even you put your GSM/4g/5g tablet in flight mode.
The devices still need to communicate with each other to know they're "on the same boat", so you'd need sharing via wifi/bluetooth when outside of cell coverage. You'd also need some way to designate a primary device, such that when the devices are no longer close together you'd have some idea of which would continue and which would log out.

For me this is a safety issue, so logging out is a hard no. Better to tie them to the same app store account and leave it at that.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:23   #32

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Navionics just updated their terms to limited logged users to two per account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Not least as if you are, literally, in the same boat then with modern chart plotters equipped with WiFi you only need to be running one licence. Your phone/tablet can run the app and receive the data over WiFi.

There is also an argument that it is safer and better to have multiple data sources. So I run Garmin Blue Chart on my plotter, C-Map on my Android phone and iSailor on my iPad. Then switch between seeing what is on the plotter on the mobile devices.
Chart sharing on the same wifi network makes sense. In my opinion navigation should be performed using the same sets of charts, so what's visible on the plotter should match what's on phone or tablet. This is one key safety aspect: everyone should be seeing the same picture.

A second key safety aspect is redundancy. I would consider two devices inadequate for this on a recreational/cruising boat; if there is to be a limit than something like five is more reasonable.

As for the multiple data sources aspect, I agree that it's useful to have alternate sources to compare against. (This assumes they are indeed alternate sources and not simple different re-packaging of the same source data!). However, they should be treated as secondary sources for reference, rather than creating a "mix-n-match" medley of primary nav sources.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:35   #33

The Aqua Map GEC Account allows you to share Aqua Map purchases with multiple devices (up to 5 simultaneously Android and Apple) and store/share routes, tracks, markers. I've been using it on an iPad & a Samsung phone & feel it's a robust app for ios & android. Last week my auto renewal took place for the US with the Master feature. Total annual cost including tax was just over $26.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I’ve been using the Navionics app for years on phones and tablets and on our chart plotters. The app continues to slide downhill in my opinion, and that seems to have accelerated since being acquired by Garmin. The only thing unique about the Navionics app at this stage is the auto-routing feature [which I use in complicated waters for quick route comparisons, but still create my own routes for actual navigation.]

I have found Nobeltech TZiBoat to be a far superior navigation app which includes raster charts where available, as well as topographic information. [All it lacks is auto-routing…]

Answering your question about number of supported [concurrent?] users, I don’t know with TZiBoat, but do run it on 4 different devices currently…

In case this is of interest.

Cheers, Bill
Just downloaded TZiBoat and it seems to be a very good app. However, their map coverage is incomplete. I would love to have the cap verdian isles, since we will be crossing the atlantic via these isles. But apparently this area is not covered ? (And yes i will stop using navionics as of now)
Edit: the charts i bought in 2011 for my Nobeltec subscription on my obsolete laptop are still available for download in the app i just downloaded. This seems a very very big advantage over Navionics. I will go (again) with Nobeltec from now on.
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:39   #35

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

Joining this thread to see where it goes. I use Navionics on a two-year-old iPad presently, and a backup version of the app on my iPhone. I am not a fan of the subscription model for any software (we got out of Microsoft completely, for example, once I found LibreOffice), so my main reason for joining is to see what the consensus if for what software might replace Navionics. I prefer tablet-based navigation to chartplotter-based; many reasons.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 13:00   #36

I use B&G + Cmap. Don't go there. This outfit is really going down the drain since the acquisition by Brunswick. Prices doubled, support doesn't exist
kitenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 14:04   #37

Take a look at aqua map. They have a free version with limited chart downloads. It will give you a taste of what the app can do.
Old 06-11-2023, 14:05   #38

Aqua map covers the cape verde islands
Old 06-11-2023, 14:44   #39

UPDATE: Double check with their support to make sure they cover that area. It looks like they do in the Spain & Portugal charts but I can't be sure without subscribing to those charts. Support@aquamap.app. they're usually pretty responsive within a day or two.
Old 06-11-2023, 15:08   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Problem is, Aquamaps uses the same subscription model as Navionics. And they explicitly told me they require an active subscription for user to maintain access to the charts they've downloaded onto their device.

Apparently they do have a lifetime subscription fee though, which I'm going to look into, if Navioics has gone to the same model of requiring an active subscription to access downloaded charts.
Old 06-11-2023, 15:31   #41

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
The devices still need to communicate with each other to know they're "on the same boat", so you'd need sharing via wifi/bluetooth when outside of cell coverage. You'd also need some way to designate a primary device, such that when the devices are no longer close together you'd have some idea of which would continue and which would log out.

For me this is a safety issue, so logging out is a hard no. Better to tie them to the same app store account and leave it at that.
Nothing logging out. They can individually figure where they are. As soon as you connect online in any form the location gets synchronized, thats whats done already anyhow. And during that synchronization you check if devices more then 5 mile difference exist. If yes one warning.happens.a.2nd time block
account
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 16:42   #42

Boat: Gemini 105mc

I switched from Navionics to AquaMaps a couple of years ago, still kept Navionics as a backup and to compare charts, but frankly their product is inferior, it’s only appeal was a slightly more polished UI.
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 17:08   #43

$26 for a full functioning chart plotter with charts that are current, weather etc and your balking because of a subscription model? Your choice
Old 06-11-2023, 20:15   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
$26 for a full functioning chart plotter with charts that are current, weather etc and your balking because of a subscription model? Your choice
Not sure who this message is in response to, but in my case I'd point out two things. Last year Navionics was only $29. Now it's $49. Are you suggesting Aquamaps is committing to not raising their prices. If so, I want that in writing.

The second is that Aquamaps uses a model that demands an active subscription just to maintain access to previously downloaded charts. These are charts resident on a personal device. This was confirmed to me by AquaMaps directly by "Enrico", on May 18, 2022, from the address :

Quote:
info@globalaquamaps.com
"...your charts will be erased by the device after the expiration date."
This is not a model that appeals to me. I've been told there is a "lifetime" subscription, which I assume gets around this limitation. If the price is right, then it might be a good plan. Otherwise, it doesn't sound like a good deal for clients -- great for the company, but not for the users.
Old 06-11-2023, 20:40   #45

Written guarantee..yeah, ok. As far as the rest goes. Everyone is entitled to there opinion. fin.

Tags
navionics