Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2023, 15:50   #1

Navionics on an Apple iPad

I use the Navionics Boating app on my iPhone 13. Does anyone know if I need just Wi-Fi on my iPad, or do I need a new iPad with Cellular? Jim in Port Townsend, WA
Jim maupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 16:04   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Navionics on an Apple iPad

Jim, I run Navionics Boating on my iPad. I do not maintain a cell connection for my iPad and my Boating app works wonderfully. I use wi-fi to update my charts before a trip but when I'm off shore, I an usually not connected to any wi-fi except maybe my Raymarine boat network so I an see my chart plotter from the cockpit and share data from that network with the boating app. Just sailed from Sint Maarten to Jolly Harbour Antigua with zero issues.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 16:10   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Last I heard, If you want built in GPS on the pad, you need the cellular version. The cellular and GPS are on the same chip so you can't get one without the other. No need to buy a cellular plan for it though if you have another Internet source to do updates etc. If you have a separate GPS source that can feed the pad via WiFi, then WiFi is all you need. I prefer the built in GPS even with a WiFi source for redundancy.

Also the built in GPS usually works just fine below deck on a fiberglass boat. 'Glass is invisible to radio waves. On a metal boat not so much, it might or might not work. I use my Android tab in my commercial boats which are all steel. The gps works well if I keep it up by the pilot house windows. Haven't tried it below but I doubt it would work.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 17:04   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Last I heard, If you want built in GPS on the pad, you need the cellular version. The cellular and GPS are on the same chip so you can't get one without the other. No need to buy a cellular plan for it though if you have another Internet source to do updates etc. If you have a separate GPS source that can feed the pad via WiFi, then WiFi is all you need. I prefer the built in GPS even with a WiFi source for redundancy.

Also the built in GPS usually works just fine below deck on a fiberglass boat. 'Glass is invisible to radio waves. On a metal boat not so much, it might or might not work. I use my Android tab in my commercial boats which are all steel. The gps works well if I keep it up by the pilot house windows. Haven't tried it below but I doubt it would work.
all true, just get a cell version to have the built in GPS.
Srpulpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 17:14   #5

If you already have an iPad without cellular, and hence without GPS, you can buy a separate GPS that connects to the iPad via BlueTooth. We have the Dual Electronics XGPS150A and it works well. Of course that means another device to keep charged, etc.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 18:05   #6

I have two tabs I use, the older one has GPS and no cellular. The newer one has both. When I was shopping for the newer one, I couldn't find one with GPS and no cellular so I don't think they make those any more.
Old 12-07-2023, 18:16   #7

At least in the Apple world, the GPS and the Cellular radio live on the same chip. You can not have one without the other.

Of course, you don't need to have a sim card and actually USE the cellular connection to use the GPS. If you are using an iPad for navigation, just get the one with the cell radio.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim maupin View Post
I use the Navionics Boating app on my iPhone 13. Does anyone know if I need just Wi-Fi on my iPad, or do I need a new iPad with Cellular? Jim in Port Townsend, WA
You can use your existing iPad. Na ionic said uses the GPS receiver and not the mobile net.
tblesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:38   #9

Boat: Moody 376

Ive been using navionics on an old Ipad Air for a couple years

neighbor was throwing it away. it has a cellular chip, but no sim card. which is fine. it needs the cell chip to have the gps. but you don't need the sim card or the have cell service active.

I will occasional hotspot to my cell phone via bluetooth/wifi or bring the ipad home and update the maps over the house wifi...

i keep it mounted under the dodger in the shade on a cheap clamp so it doesn't get too hot and overheat and shut down.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 11:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblesinger View Post
You can use your existing iPad. Na ionic said uses the GPS receiver and not the mobile net.
On most ipads you need the cellular version to get built in GPS. They're on the same chip so you can't get one without the other. No need for a sim card or cellular connection if you have another way to get updates. You can use your phones hotspot for that.
Old 28-07-2023, 12:08   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

Keep in mind that there are other ways to get GPS data without the cellular chip. Either with an external GPS, or by connecting to the ships GPS via wifi.

I have all of my devices connect to the ships NMEA bus via wifi. That way, Navionics also displays depth and AIS targets. And no cellular version needed.
Old 28-07-2023, 14:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Keep in mind that there are other ways to get GPS data without the cellular chip. Either with an external GPS, or by connecting to the ships GPS via wifi.

I have all of my devices connect to the ships NMEA bus via wifi. That way, Navionics also displays depth and AIS targets. And no cellular version needed.
And you've spent A LOT more money doing it than a stand alone tablet with built in GPS.
Old 28-07-2023, 19:25   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim maupin View Post

To condense and clarify previous posts:

If you have no other navigation or network facility on your boat and your iPad will be the only navigation instrument (in addition to your phone), then you need the cellular version to have a GPS signal. No SIM nor active mobile contract needed.

If you have a navigation system on your boat and a wifi network with your navigation system’s data broadcast on it, then you can use the wifi only version. The cost of adding a wife broadcast to your boats network using something like this https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html is about the same as the difference in price of the iPads. The benefit is that you can broadcast all your navigation data, including AIS; not just GPS signal.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 20:41   #14

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Quote:
And you've spent A LOT more money doing it than a stand alone tablet with built in GPS.
I don't use iStuff but would be interested to know the current $$ difference between WiFi version vs Cell/gps version ...
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 20:49   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
A tablet with a built in GPS will not receive AIS, depth, wind speed, and direction, etc. In particular, if you have AIS on board, it's pretty important to have that on the screen. And the GPS built into a tablet isn't as accurate as the ships GPS. And in my case, I already have the wifi gateway for connection my laptop, so it's actually free to be able to use a tablet.

I'm just putting the information out there, as a lot of people already have a tablet without the cellular/GPS chip, and even if you have to buy the $200 gateway, that is a lot cheaper than a whole new tablet, and brings more functionality.

Tags
Ipad, navionics