Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 14:41   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Neah Bay to San Fran, solo

So I am planning on doing this starting the last week of this August.

The current plan is to go 35/40nm offshore, stop at Crescent City, and then continue to San Fran.

My thinking is that it's far enough away from the coast to avoid the majority of traffic while being close enough that I can run in and hide if I see any weather coming in. I'd probably prefer to arbour hop along the coast but the distances are too great in several places for me to make it in one day so this is a compromise.

Weather forecasting will be gotten through the SSB/Pactor modem and checked several times a day.

I have a Radar I can set up with guard zones and an AIS transponder, a decent below decks autopilot and a fleming aux rudder windvane. I went around Vancouver Island a couple years ago and coastal hopped down the west side of it so I've been in ocean swells before (though the largest was probably only 8ft)

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? I've been doing a lot of reading and some say to coastal hop, so say to go where I will be and others suggest going allllll the way out!

edit: also if anyone has any good guides to the route they would recommend please let me know
Old 09-08-2018, 14:17   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Neah Bay to San Fran, solo

On this route I would not use traffic as an item in route planning. After you leave the Straits of Juan De Fuca the amount of traffic is not high. Sometimes you run into a gaggle of fishing vessels but mostly only an occasional commercial vessel. These are probably going to/from Straits/Columbia Bar/San Fran and Asia. With some north/south traffic and barges.
Leaving Neah Bay on a good forecast and turning left toward Cape Mendocino is a good plan. Then after a couple of days see how the forecast changes and how the sail goes before deciding intermediate destinations and how far offshore to run. Newport, Crescent City and Drakes Bay make nice stops.
Plan on getting a good slapping at one of the southern Oregon capes or Mendecino. Even on a good forecast at this time of year the inland low created by the hot inland valley can cause a strong blow around at least one of these capes. Going further offshore of the capes often makes it worse. The wind strength is not usually reflected in the forecast. Along with these strong winds on one cape you are just as likely to have to motor around in glass conditions on the next one.
Enjoy the passage.
Old 09-08-2018, 15:24   #3

Boat: Cross 39

I have nothing to offer to answer your question. But I have to say I'm impressed with your journey up to this point. It's been great to be able to keep up to date on your journeys via your blog. I'll be sad to see you leave local waters but excited to see what you get up to.

And good luck with the tuna on your way down along the coast!
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:51   #4

I did this the opposite way two years ago. If I was doing it solo, I'd harbor hop. You're wrong about the harbors, except for three anchorages.

I've posted our log (with charts) here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 16:06   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

Still determined to do it solo? Like SeaGirt we will mis you.

This is what we used going down: https://www.amazon.ca/Exploring-Paci.../dp/0938665715

I found it pretty complete.
Old 22-09-2018, 17:15   #6

Quick update (and thanks for the kind words)

I basically decided to do extended harbour hopping (as most of you here and on SA recommended) - basically a day/night/day between places. So far it's been Neah Bay -> Astoria -> Coos Bay -> Eureka.

Very manageable, and I have a day or two at each stop to catch up on sleep while the lows blow through.
Old 22-09-2018, 17:53   #7

Ooof, wished I'd read that blog/book beforehand, lot of good stuff in there