Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 09:33   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
New iPad / iNavX system to replace old instruments, chartplotter

Hey all. I think I have this all figured out. It took me quite a lot of research to put all of this together, so I thought it might be helpful to document it.

The goal is to have a low cost solution to give us basic instruments (depth, speed, temp is a bonus), display on screen above deck, have a chartplotter, and run the Simrad Wheelpilot from the chartplotter.

Here's what I plan on purchasing:

Depth/Speed/Temp Transducer - $280.00 Garmin Airmar Smart Tri Transducer DST800 With Depth Speed Temperature Plastic Thru Hull NMEA 0183 010-11051-10 NMEA 0183 - older format but nmea 2000 didn't seem to have good adoption with apps or components (still)

NMEA 0183 to wifi - $268.00 - Digital yacht nmea to wireless wi-fi adapter - 4800 baud - SavingLots.com

ipad 2 (refurb) - $250.00

ipad waterproof case - $50.00 Waterproof Case Gym Bike Boat Kitchen Rod Stand Mount for Apple New iPad 2 3 Tab | eBay - This looks like it's a cheap case....might not want to risk going this cheap to protect the ipad, although we'll probably take it inside after we use it to keep it from getting stolen

inavx ipad app - $50.00 - iNavX™ - Marine Navigation App for iPhone and iPad - This seems to be the best one around with the most options. *It's a little cumbersome, and doesn't have the coolest interface, but looks like it has by far the most features to play with

The longer story is that we recently purchased a 1983 S2 9.2c down in NC this summer and sailed it back up to our house on the Hudson river across from NYC. The boat still has the original SR Mariner Nav 5 system, which hasn't been in production since the early 90's.

The instrument panel above deck is totally shot, and the one below we can't tell if it's accurate. We felt that it wasn't even worth trying to calibrate the instruments downstairs when the system is so old and we can't get anything compatible for the above deck part.

I originally started researching the standard raymarine systems or gamin systems, but they struck me as kind of behind the times compared to technology in other industries, and very expensive for what you're getting. This got the wheels turning: "There must be a better way..."

If anyone has an suggestions or previous experience, please share! I'll try to update this thread with my successes (or failures) as I get everything hooked up.
SV Confianza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:25   #2

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: New iPad / iNavX system to replace old instruments, chartplotter

Don't forget the charts.. which can be a bit of a minefield depending what you're after.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 16:38   #3

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: New iPad / iNavX system to replace old instruments, chartplotter

Bistro, I am interested in the same sort of system. Sort of a minimalist approach on the cutting edge. Do keep us informed.

Tags
chartplotter, iNavX, Ipad, men, rum